Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-10-2011, 10:00 PM   #1
patm

Drives: 2007 yaris sedan
cld tiles

what is the minimum number of cld tiles needed for the outer door skin of the driver and passanger doors of a 2007 yaris sedan.
patm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:11 AM   #2
yojabbajabba

Drives: 2008 YRS 5Dr LB (1.5L)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patm View Post
what is the minimum number of cld tiles needed for the outer door skin of the driver and passanger doors of a 2007 yaris sedan.
Hi there.

Check out derickveliz2's (huge) thread on his SQ build, and send him a PM on how much he has used (I have done so also :D)

Hope this helps.
Aaron
yojabbajabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:53 AM   #3
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Quote:
Originally Posted by patm View Post
I used 5 or 6 but...

then I applied more MAT. a lot more! to stiff the door acoustical characteristics, remember that it actually works like a speaker enclosure!

D.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
Crackerballer

Drives: 08 BMW 135i
Derick I want to bump this and ask if you think 2 tiles per door will help with road noise and some help to sound quality. I am mainly looking to eliminate road noise, so not anywhere as extreme as what you're doing, but just a bit quieter. I was thinking of doing the doors and the floor. Not going to tackle the firewall, may also do the spare wheel well and trunk too. Thanks.
Crackerballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
derickveliz2

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerballer View Post
Derick I want to bump this and ask if you think 2 tiles per door will help with road noise and some help to sound quality. I am mainly looking to eliminate road noise, so not anywhere as extreme as what you're doing, but just a bit quieter. I was thinking of doing the doors and the floor. Not going to tackle the firewall, may also do the spare wheel well and trunk too. Thanks.
CB...

2 CLD Tiles per door it will do almost nothing that you could perceive while driving,
blocking road noise is more of a "ON" / "OFF" thing CLD Tiles will prevent large flat sheet panels to reverberate but CLD Tiles alone will not block noise.

These 2 CLD Tiles help making the door a better speaker enclosure, but for that I would use MAT, a cheaper version of CLD Tiles and conver as much
surface as possible inside the door.

A layer of MLV with your 2 CLD Tiles per door and a thin layer of CCFoam will do what you want.

Covering the entire floor + wheel wells makes a big difference in road noise.

FYI, I used 5 CLD Tiles and maybe 24" of Rope, per door and losts of MAT.
(plus a layer of MLV, and CCFoam).

D.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
yojabbajabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
CB...

FYI, I used 5 CLD Tiles and maybe 24" of Rope, per door and lots of MAT.
(plus a layer of MLV, and CCFoam).

D.
When doing the doors, where did you apply the RAAMMat? I understand how the CLD Tiles work, and where that goes (and how much) but in this entire SQ/road-noise-kill build I haven't figured out WHERE and WHY you are using MAT?

Thanks Derick.

Last edited by yojabbajabba; 01-18-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #7
derickveliz2

Lets say I took care of road noise using CLD+CCFoam+MLV,

OK, now my Lows (50Hz-200Hz) are in the OEM doors location (lots of BASS here) the speaker needs an enclosure, (solid, rigid, vibration proof, acoustically treated, etc) how can I make the skinny door walls perform as I proper speaker box? adding mass to it's walls in my case I used MAT, inside the door an as much I could in the structure of the door to reduce vibrations, also applied behind the plastic panel that covers the entire door.

I would love to have my speakers in solid oak wood enclosures BUT... I can't the doors come in cheap metal and plastic.

Just for the record: 3 to 4 layers of MAT does block road noise, but you pay for that extra material and time.

D.

Last edited by derickveliz2; 01-18-2012 at 03:49 PM.
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:43 AM   #8
yojabbajabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
Lets say I took care of road noise using CLD+CCFoam+MLV,

OK, now my Lows (50Hz-200Hz) are in the OEM doors location (lots of BASS here) the speaker needs an enclosure, (solid, rigid, vibration proof, acoustically treated, etc) how can I make the skinny door walls perform as I proper speaker box? adding mass to it's walls in my case I used MAT, inside the door an as much I could in the structure of the door to reduce vibrations, also applied behind the plastic panel that covers the entire door.

I would love to have my speakers in solid oak wood enclosures BUT... I can't the doors come in cheap metal and plastic.

Just for the record: 3 to 4 layers of MAT does block road noise, but you pay for that extra material and time.

D.
So basically ROAD NOISE is the goal with CCF+CLD+MLV (although it would help with acoustically treating the door). MAT is primarily there to counteract the active frequencies of the speakers. Is that correct?

Aaron
Old 01-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yojabbajabba View Post
So basically ROAD NOISE is the goal with CCF+CLD+MLV (although it would help with acoustically treating the door). MAT is primarily there to counteract the active frequencies of the speakers. Is that correct?

Aaron
Yes.

D.