Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #19
Gogogordy

Drives: Miss my Yaris, love my Jeep jk
Lexus features in an econobox?

Quote:
Originally Posted by junorico24 View Post
This car reviewers was accurate about the 2007-2011 could be true about the 3rd gen.But i don't own one so i'm not sure!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5NlyN4Qzks

He was less edgier and more objective back then!

But his expectations from the least expensive of Toyotas cars are flawed.

You can't expect padded everything, sport tuned suspension, multi adjustable seats, and other "more expensive to build" features, in a low priced unit....thats how they get the price low!

For me, Ill take fewer bells and whistles, in exchange for legendary durability and quality. Thats why I bought the Yaris.

For the record, we have a Scion xD. Exemplary car, and maybe a better value...but neither of them aren't without their individual merits.
Gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #20
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Drives: 2012 Yaris 3-door w/5-speed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogogordy View Post
He was less edgier and more objective back then!

But his expectations from the least expensive of Toyotas cars are flawed.

You can't expect padded everything, sport tuned suspension, multi adjustable seats, and other "more expensive to build" features, in a low priced unit....thats how they get the price low!

For me, Ill take fewer bells and whistles, in exchange for legendary durability and quality. Thats why I bought the Yaris.

For the record, we have a Scion xD. Exemplary car, and maybe a better value...but neither of them aren't without their individual merits.
I have to agree. Durability is so under-rated.
CanIHazYarisHatch? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #21
broody

Drives: Yaris 3dr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmck03 View Post
Like I'm supposed to believe a review from some jack@ss that doesn't even know how to pronounce the name of the car...

The Toyota "Yeahriss"?

What a horrible review too... The steering wheel is too far back, yet the pedals are too close? So which is it, you sit too far back or forward?

I could go on and on...
I have to agree that the steering is too far for me. I'm tall, and I appreciate the extra legroom and better driving position compared to the older yaris, but the steering is a bit far and it should be telescopic or closer.
broody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #22
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
Someone should tell him it doesn't rhyme with Paris.
Actually it does. At least it does in Toyota Canada's TV ad campaign.
Maybe we've had it wrong all along???????

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:03 PM   #23
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
Actually it does. At least it does in Toyota Canada's TV ad campaign.
Maybe we've had it wrong all along???????
Yeah - there's a post around here that references Toyota's own comments about the origins of the name.

Don't the Canadian's call it the Yaris-eh?
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:16 AM   #24
skuzzlebutt5

Drives: '12 Yaris SE Classic Silver AT
http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=739

Eat that consumer reports... At least its got GOOD crash rating!
skuzzlebutt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:49 AM   #25
BluYrs
ヴィッツ ドライバー

Drives: 2006 3d 1.0 Linea Sol
The price issue CR has with the Yaris reminds me of the Citroen case here in Europe.

Citroen sells a variety of cars from electric cars through subcompact to middle class, SUV and MPVs. They are mostly very aggressively priced as new- either though massive discounts or near-interest-free financing. This means that the market is overflooded with Citroens, which are 3-5 years old and cost very little compared to other similar vehicles.

How can Citroen pull this off and still make any money? The key word is servicing. Typically, owners of near-new cars (up to, say, five years) opt for dealer services and also bring their cars to the dealer to have repairs made (which they, by all means, could have done at another place). As it also happens, Citroens aren't the most reliable cars, to put it mildly. Along with regular services, Citroen owners will thus have to have some repairs done.

So Citroen knows that they can sell their cars for even a loss, but they'll make up for it via servicing. This, however, is something that Toyota cannot do. For obvious reasons :)

The blue one
BluYrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:46 AM   #26
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluYrs View Post
The price issue CR has with the Yaris reminds me of the Citroen case here in Europe.

Citroen sells a variety of cars from electric cars through subcompact to middle class, SUV and MPVs. They are mostly very aggressively priced as new- either though massive discounts or near-interest-free financing. This means that the market is overflooded with Citroens, which are 3-5 years old and cost very little compared to other similar vehicles.

How can Citroen pull this off and still make any money? The key word is servicing. Typically, owners of near-new cars (up to, say, five years) opt for dealer services and also bring their cars to the dealer to have repairs made (which they, by all means, could have done at another place). As it also happens, Citroens aren't the most reliable cars, to put it mildly. Along with regular services, Citroen owners will thus have to have some repairs done.

So Citroen knows that they can sell their cars for even a loss, but they'll make up for it via servicing. This, however, is something that Toyota cannot do. For obvious reasons :)
Even the Citroen C1, the kissing cousin of the Toyota Aygo is unreliable?

Me likey some 1.0 3-cylinder 1KR-FE goodness...
Old 03-28-2012, 11:32 PM   #27
YarYarBinks

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris LB
Send a message via AIM to YarYarBinks
If I dressed and looked like him I'd probably sit in a car like I have a giant stick up my ass like him. The yaris is a great car and tbh the corolla is not all that great. If I wanted a sedan I'd buy a damn sedan. D***bag. That guy probably drives a **** not a car.
YarYarBinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:24 AM   #28
BluYrs
ヴィッツ ドライバー

Drives: 2006 3d 1.0 Linea Sol
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanIHazYarisHatch? View Post
Even the Citroen C1, the kissing cousin of the Toyota Aygo is unreliable?

Me likey some 1.0 3-cylinder 1KR-FE goodness...
I've got a 1KR-FE in my Yaris

But as for the C1- somewhat amazingly, yes. Well, it's less reliable than the Aygo- albeit being built in the same factory by the same people. The Peugeot 107 is worse still.

Check out these reliability ratings based German technical inspection data (TÜV): http://www.anusedcar.com/index.php/t...e/2011-2-3/298

The blue one
BluYrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:05 AM   #29
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluYrs View Post
I've got a 1KR-FE in my Yaris

But as for the C1- somewhat amazingly, yes. Well, it's less reliable than the Aygo- albeit being built in the same factory by the same people. The Peugeot 107 is worse still.

Check out these reliability ratings based German technical inspection data (TÜV): http://www.anusedcar.com/index.php/t...e/2011-2-3/298
I'm jealous of your engine variety.

Puzzling that essentially the same car has different reliability ratings...
Old 03-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #30
GnomeBody
AD&D Dork

Drives: 07Liftback/07sedanS
Not sure what changed between the 2012 and my 2007, but after hearing that review, it makes me wonder.

I love my 07, Only things I griped about was the body roll in turns (fixed with coilovers and rear sway bar) and the fact I cant really adjust the stearing wheel. Im pretty short so Ive never had a problem with the petal positions or seats.

It made me laugh a little when he said something about the engine being noisy, I never hear it unless Im stomping on the gas like a mad man.

I never understand why people reviewing it complain about the engine power either. More than enough power for my 30min city commutes to and from work. I think the problem is the reviewers are used to cars that use less than 1/5th of the gas petals travel to handle 99% of normal driving scenarios, and the remaining 4/5ths for the last 1% (like trying to hit 88mph before they run out of parking lot)

The yaris is a little more like up to 2/3rds for things less than 60mph and the remaining 1/3rd for interstate merging or passing. Granted you not going to set any landspeed records, but that shouldnt really be your goal.

IMO the yaris should really only be serioulys judeged in three catagories:

Fuel efficiency
Durability\reliability
Cost (upfront price and operational costs)

anything more should count as bonus points

Mods: K&N filter, Megan Coilovers, Ultra Racing 19mm rear sway bar, Sun tachometer, Window Tint.
GnomeBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #31
broody

Drives: Yaris 3dr 2009
The 2012 drives the exact same as a 2006, but with better seats. The steering is still too far though, and apparently everyone think it's too far (tall and short people)...

I don't find the body roll to be an issue in the yaris, it's tuned for comfort more than racing, but you can still push quite hard. For DD, I prefere the suspension tuning of the yaris over the one of the fit or the echo hatchback (Canada) for example.

however, it's not because the yaris is an econobox that we should accept anything. cheap cars can be roomy, cute, comfortable and quiet. These things don't cost a fortune. And the yaris could be even more fuel efficient, with the 1.3l engine (with a 6 speed transmission).

Last edited by broody; 03-29-2012 at 08:23 PM.
broody is offline   Reply With Quote