Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
coilover questions

So I keep looking at a suspension upgrades and I have a few questions.

1. I keep seeing references to coilovers needing to be serviced. Is this something that has to be done often or not really at all?

2. From what I have seen there is all sorts of adjustability options. I am looking for coilovers that can adjust height(will really probably only do once) and then for performance. I thought there were ones that had multiple performance adjustability and some that didn't. Looking through the forums it seems most only have a hard/soft setting, which is better for me. GT has taught me that suspension settings are like an art form. I don't want to spend hundreds of hours figuring out perfection.

From MI's store it looks like The Tanabe's or the Kido's are in my price range. From what I have read both adjust the damper for height as well as the spring, which from what I have read is better.

Is their anything else I need to know about coilovers? Does anyone have any opinions on any other coilovers that are better? Does anyone have any feedback on either the Kido's or the Tanabe's?

I am looking for handling, comfort for me isn't a big deal.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Get coilovers that have double ride height adjustments (separate shock length and pre-load). That way, you'll have the option of going even lower and having a decent ride comfort (I know that's not a big deal for you). The Kido's would be the way to go as I believe they have separate shock length and pre-load adjustment as well as dampening adjustability.

There are guides online on how to properly adjust coilovers that have both shock length and pre-load adjustments.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
^^ What about the maintenance?

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #4
Kaotic Lazagna

A bunch of my friends have coilovers. Only one had to be serviced (bought used and seller lied about its condition).

Another reason to get double ride height adjustable coilvers is because adjusting the shock length allows it to maintain full shock travel whereas preload (spring perch and locking rings) only coilovers will compress the shocks/struts, causing them to wear out faster.

Also, as long as you don't ride around in full firm in dampening, the coilovers should last you a long time. Ride around at full firm, and they will blow out quicker.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

how much quicker? I guess it would depend how firm is full firm, but kinda the point seems to handle as well as possible. Can't drop them as low as they can go, in MA the law says only 2" lower than stock, which is probably too much anyways, we'll see.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
how much quicker? I guess it would depend how firm is full firm, but kinda the point seems to handle as well as possible. Can't drop them as low as they can go, in MA the law says only 2" lower than stock, which is probably too much anyways, we'll see.
wth? My car won't pass there than since the S.Tech springs lower the sedan ~2.1". Crazy!

Anywho, it all depends on road conditions too, the more that the dampers have to work in full firm, the more quicker they will wear out/break a valve/seal. Also, you wouldn't want to run full firm anyway. I've been in some cars that have been set to full firm...and well, say goodbye to your spine. LMAO. My friends set theirs to medium (8 out of 15 clicks for their coilovers for their cars). One person they know blew theirs in less than a year and he bought his coilovers brand new. I'm assuming he was full dump and full firm. And no, these weren't some cheap coilovers either.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #7
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

thank you for the info.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
I just put KIDOS on my LB last week...however I only got to drive it from the house to the paint shop(about 4 miles away). In that short time(I have it set to full firm) I noticed wheel hop on hard acceleration if I hit a bump and a lot of bouncing from front to back. I'll be turning the stiffness down when I get the car back.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #9
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

good to know. means that full stiff is insane. that is a positive in my book.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #10
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
thank you for the info.
No problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazilla View Post
I just put KIDOS on my LB last week...however I only got to drive it from the house to the paint shop(about 4 miles away). In that short time(I have it set to full firm) I noticed wheel hop on hard acceleration if I hit a bump and a lot of bouncing from front to back. I'll be turning the stiffness down when I get the car back.
I would too. lol

Quote:
good to know. means that full stiff is insane. that is a positive in my book.
Just don't go full dump if you want to run full stiff if you don't want to have unneeded accelerated wear on the dampers.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #11
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

so I bought Megans from MI and they have gone way beyond the pale helping me get them in. Well I didn't do it, I let my normal mechanic give it a try. Not the best idea, but they are in. Now to make sure they are right, lol.

Anyways, I have a question about that black shroud that is right above the top of the coilovers. Does it really do anything structurally? How much of it can I cut off without worrying about it?