Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
yarisnewbie

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Angry New rear bumper

Last night i got rear ended at a red light! Fortunately i did not take a strong hit since the other driver wasn't going too fast.
I was wondering do you guys have any idea about how much it would cost to have the bumper replaced by my toyota dealer? Or should i go somewhere else to get it done? Thanks!
yarisnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
No insurance?

An OEM bumper replacement will cost you about 300+ for the bumper, and then a hundred fifty ish for the paint
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
yarisnewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betrivent View Post
No insurance?

An OEM bumper replacement will cost you about 300+ for the bumper, and then a hundred fifty ish for the paint
Yes, i have insurance.Wow.... that much? I will have to wait until Monday to take my car to the dealer and see what they say.Thanks!
Old 07-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
The dealer is most likely going to charge even more than that

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
12 yaris

Drives: '12 Yaris LE Lagoon Blue Mica
How much is your deductable,you can tell your agent you are fixing it yourself and still recieve a check from your insurance co.
I would try a salvage yard for the parts,if the steel reinforcement is not damaged badly
you can get a bumper cover for around $ 200 new....
12 yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:30 AM   #6
yarisnewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 yaris View Post
How much is your deductable,you can tell your agent you are fixing it yourself and still recieve a check from your insurance co.
I would try a salvage yard for the parts,if the steel reinforcement is not damaged badly
you can get a bumper cover for around $ 200 new....
Not sure about the deductable......If I get a bumper online then where should i have the painting done? Dealer or a body shop? My concern would be the paint not matching the rest of the car so i'd be more inclined to take it to a Toyota dealer?
Old 07-22-2012, 08:44 AM   #7
12 yaris

Drives: '12 Yaris LE Lagoon Blue Mica
An automotive paint supply store in your area,they can even put paint in rattle cans for you. You CAN install and paint this yourself...
12 yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Perhaps I am missing something, but it seems to me that there are obvious questions here that are proverbial elephants in the room. You got REAR ENDED AT A RED LIGHT. Why would you or your insurance have to cover it? Is there even one state where this would be legally your fault? Was the other driver uninsured?
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
yarisnewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Perhaps I am missing something, but it seems to me that there are obvious questions here that are proverbial elephants in the room. You got REAR ENDED AT A RED LIGHT. Why would you or your insurance have to cover it? Is there even one state where this would be legally your fault? Was the other driver uninsured?
The other driver would pay for the damage,not me!!
Old 07-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisnewbie View Post
The other driver would pay for the damage,not me!!
Then go 100% Toyota all the way. Who cares about the cost.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Exactly! (the questions I posed had not previously been addressed on the thread)
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #12
whoknows89

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3 dr liftback
When I was rear ended they gave me an estimate of around $900, that was replacing the taillights, bumper and the bar behind the bumper
whoknows89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #13
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
the insurance company - that's who!

i was involved in an accident recently(other guy's fault) and his insurance took care of everything. however, insurance companies have agreements with certain collision repair companies. the money they were willing to pay me was based on the estimate given by their own claims representative. i was given a couple 'preferred' collision repair companies and was told i could go anywhere i wanted(including toyota dealership), BUT they were only going to pay the amount the claims representative estimated.

apparently, the 'preferred' collision repair companies have an agreement to perform the work for whatever the insurance claims rep. estimates in exchange for the work being sent their way. i asked the collision repair people about using genuine toyota parts and they said due to the age of my car(07 yaris sedan) they were only required to use 'oem-spec' parts

the car looks fine now and you can't really tell anything different(there's a slightly larger gap between the hood and the right fender than the left fender, but you have to be looking for it to tell). still, the whole ordeal took almost a month between being hit and finally having my car back to me! to top it off the rental was a POS chevy hhr!

i won't name the insurance company involved nor the collision repair people, but BOTH are nationally-recoginized names. the whole thing made me dislike insurance companies even more than i already did!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #14
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
the insurance company - that's who!
The OP hasen't provided much detail, but I'm willing to bet (reading the very grey area between the lines), that the dude who hit him is wanting to settle outside of insurance.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #15
WinstonVitzRS

Drives: Toyota Vitz RS
buy a vitz rs one it's much h nicer !!!
WinstonVitzRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:16 AM   #16
yarisnewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisnewbie View Post
Last night i got rear ended at a red light! Fortunately i did not take a strong hit since the other driver wasn't going too fast.
I was wondering do you guys have any idea about how much it would cost to have the bumper replaced by my toyota dealer? Or should i go somewhere else to get it done? Thanks!
Update: fortunately there's no need for replacement since it's mostly cosmetic damages!!! So that will be taken care of real soon.Thanks,guys!