Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #19
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Keep it open, and let's discuss this instead.

I just spoke with the gentleman at Dynotronics Tuning. He said that there are actually two ECUs for the Yaris and depending on which one you have in your ride will determine whether or not they have actually hacked it or not. Traditionally speaking he also said that if you have the one that they have not played with then he would need between 100-150 owners to pipe up and say that they would be willing to pay the roughly 400-450 to have it done. He said that when it comes to the process it can be whittled down to:

1) Accessing the ROM
2) Deciphering the ROM
3) Creating an easy/quick to use GUI for the ROM

Since Toyota is notorious for making the ROMs pretty heavily locked and he had a single owner for example looking for the ECU to be tuned they are looking at around $20-$40k in the R&D process as it is very time consuming. Even at the 150 owners having an ECU build he would only be breaking even. It can take months and a lot of trial and error. He also said that there is no true open loop anymore with ECUs as they have the Wideband/Narrowband style front O2 sensors which plays havoc with configurations coupled with the Long Term Fuel Trim (LTFT) ability however the LTFT is academic compared to how critical to the ECU that front O2 sensor reading is. He was able to confirm right away that is definitely the reason why someone with a piggyback such as the FIC has to retune a lot as well as disco'ing the battery every so often.

Essentially this place looks like a practical dead end as well with one exception. The owner at Dynotronics Tuning is having me email him and he will be passing on the contact info for a newish "very hungry" company out of the midwest. He said that he met they at SEMA this year and that they very well may have an ECU that could replace the stock one that would support all functionality of the OEM one to include ABS and DBW however he also said that they very well may only support true racing applications as messing with the throttle system (DBW) can be a serious legal liability which is why the bulk of the standalone ECU companies will for the most part tell you that they can't do DBW. He said also what is interesting is that the ECU box from this company is very small and looks like something on a Yamaha or Kawasaki motorcycle.

MTF

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #20
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ but you said this:

Quote:
He said that there are actually two ECUs for the Yaris
So what about the one they DID hack?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #21
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Quote:
^ but you said this:

So what about the one they DID hack?

He didn't really elaborate on it. He said that the first step is to confirm which ECU an owner contacting him has in their car. He was actually out walking his dog when I called so he didn't have info readily available. He apparently keeps his dog with him while in his shop.

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #22
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
He didn't really elaborate on it. He said that the first step is to confirm which ECU an owner contacting him has in their car. He was actually out walking his dog when I called so he didn't have info readily available. He apparently keeps his dog with him while in his shop.
The only difference (external) I have seen is 2007-2011 VS 2012+. I doubt he has either reflashed at this point in time.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #23
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

It all sounds vague to me at this point.

Quote:
depending on which one you have in your ride will determine whether or not they have actually hacked it or not.
1. This statement says they hacked one of the two ECU's. Is this a guess or is that confirmed 100%? And which one?

2. Does "hacked" mean they gained access to the ROM (meaning they could read it), or that they gained CONTROL of the ECU?

2a. If so, what exactly can they control and how?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #24
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:

1. This statement says they hacked one of the two ECU's. Is this a guess or is that confirmed 100%? And which one?

2. Does "hacked" mean they gained access to the ROM (meaning they could read it), or that they gained CONTROL of the ECU?

There are actually quite a few variations. From my experimentation the easiest one to hack at this time is the 2007 one, which required a firmware update as part of a TSB. Having that firmware file allowed me to easily find the area of the firmware that contains the maps. The problem though is the process of getting the modified firmware back into the ECM, due to the security measures that Toyota implements.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #25
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
Last convo I had with Joe was that there was multiple ECU's for the car and he wasn't sure if it was something he could do. Seeing as his database is pulled from Piasini(sp) he was't sure if it was something they supported or not. From my emails with him I'm guessing he hadn't tuned a Yaris yet, and I'm guessing the only ECU's that were in his supported database were the European ECU's which aren't shared with the North America ECU's. Although I never got word back if mine was supported or not but mine is (89661-52g30).

There are 4-5 versions of the ECU iirc when I was attempting to purchase a spare. Connectors are identical but they carry different code.

AFAIK there is nothing stopping some entrepreneurial person from contacting Piasini and buy their serial suite tuning tool... aside from maybe funding
Old 05-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #26
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
Quote:

Yes. http://www.piasiniengineering.com/index.php?id=73
Old 05-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #27
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Quote:

The gent said that the best way to ask further questions etc was to email him at sales@dynotronicstuning.com

Old 05-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #28
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

namer, thanks. As far as I'm concerned, it's a dead end.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #29
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Out of curiosity - has ANY Toyota ECU been read, interpreted, and rewritten?
Old 05-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #30
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
i think Tom's is the only company that is allowed to
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Closed Thread