Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #19
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
Quote:
Originally Posted by junorico24 View Post
Exactly, the quality of tools you use can also have an impact. I used a poor mans socket set but with a that tyre

nut loosening thing ma gee! lol it worked but i stripped it without the 4 way tire nut cracker extension.
Guilty as charged. All my tools are "el cheapo" as I MAY use a socket once or twice a year.

I started out with a many pointed socket and when that started to slip I changed to a 6 point 14mm I found under a bunch of other sockets I didn't know I had. It looked pretty cheap as well tho. No brand name even on it heh. Then it started to turn on the head... guess I should have started with the 6 point. Live and learn... heh
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #20
esse10

Drives: 2009 yaris 2 door
bp blaster

I use BPblaster spray everytime I work on my suspension and it works like a charm for removing bolts. By the way all you needed was a high grade bolt at the local hardware store, grade 8 - 10 hardened steel. It would've been cheaper than the dealer price for sure. If you gonna do your own mechanic work you might want to invest in some good quality tools, makes a diffirence.
esse10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:10 AM   #21
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by esse10 View Post
I use BPblaster spray everytime I work on my suspension and it works like a charm for removing bolts. By the way all you needed was a high grade bolt at the local hardware store, grade 8 - 10 hardened steel. It would've been cheaper than the dealer price for sure. If you gonna do your own mechanic work you might want to invest in some good quality tools, makes a diffirence.

It's PB Blaster and I freakin love the stuff! Been using it for a decade...it even smells good in my opinion.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #22
esse10

ya know

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazilla View Post
It's PB Blaster and I freakin love the stuff! Been using it for a decade...it even smells good in my opinion.
Yea whatever you know what I meant. I don't think it smells so good but sure get's bolts loose quick quick
Old 06-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #23
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Also make sure you tighten it up real tight to avoid that ear bustin squeal!
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #24
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Got the bolt finally but forgot to ask what to torque it to. Anyone know.
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #25
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
It does not matter if you use a socket once or twice a year! If it's cheap(India, China), it will cost you more time then the cost of a fancy socket set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinare View Post
Guilty as charged. All my tools are "el cheapo" as I MAY use a socket once or twice a year.

I started out with a many pointed socket and when that started to slip I changed to a 6 point 14mm I found under a bunch of other sockets I didn't know I had. It looked pretty cheap as well tho. No brand name even on it heh. Then it started to turn on the head... guess I should have started with the 6 point. Live and learn... heh
Old 06-16-2013, 05:34 AM   #26
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Don't use Dayco's drive belt. It has a habit of stretching. Stay with Toyota's belt.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #27
esse10

belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by junorico24 View Post
Don't use Dayco's drive belt. It has a habit of stretching. Stay with Toyota's belt.
That tends to happend if it's not properly tightened in the first place, like over tensioning the belt. Toyota could have put a tensioner pulley to make things easier on us.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #28
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Well, bolts out and belt is on!!!!! Thanks to all here tht helped me. I finally broke down and bought the expensive roundedbolt set from pep boys as pictured. It finallybroke loose after many squirtsof liquid wrench and a long cheater bar. (Thought i had broke the bolt or wrench how loud it snapped when it finally broke.) Thans again everyone for the support and ideas that gave me the courage to tackle what i thought was an insurmountable problem.

Ps there was this white powder in the threads of the bolt. Some gift of thread lock from someone previous?