Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
zkay

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan 4-DR
Tirerack Installation at Corporate HQ

Hello

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with having tires installed by tirerack at their corporate headquarters in South Bend, IN. I live about 4 hours away and thought I'd take my dad there to get them installed and make a day of it. He's a big classic car guy and the Studebaker Museum is there in South Bend.

I am upgrading my RE 92 Potenzas at long last. My odometer is at 61k and have had the factory tires the whole time.

I am going with the Hankook Optimo H727 in 185/60-15 on stock steelies, seen here: http://tinyurl.com/os6bsbc

Also, as an aside: I already have decided on these tires, but do tires really make all that much of a difference in fuel economy? I have seen most people do not manage mid 40's on the potenzas, but then I've seen several say they've only gotten there on LRR tires (which mine are not). I am not expecting to lose much in regards to MPG when I make the switch, and I plan on having them filled with nitrogen.

I look forward to your replies.

Thanks,
-zkay
zkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
I haven't driven much on the RE92..

i've had mine on RE040's, and then changed for yokohama S.Drives. I've never made more than 37-38MPG.

for the past couple years, i've been driving on the hancook Optimo H725 in 195/60R15 and they don't grip. I can't imagine the H727

While you are there, why don't you get the eco tires? For me, i would rather get good sticky tires when they are on sale..
http://tinyurl.com/lhmdo2l
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
zkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
I haven't driven much on the RE92..

i've had mine on RE040's, and then changed for yokohama S.Drives. I've never made more than 37-38MPG.

for the past couple years, i've been driving on the hancook Optimo H725 in 195/60R15 and they don't grip. I can't imagine the H727

While you are there, why don't you get the eco tires? For me, i would rather get good sticky tires when they are on sale..
http://tinyurl.com/lhmdo2l
I'm already set on the optimos. the continentals aren't rated as well in the snow/ice, which is a big deal for me.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
Tedtalker

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
I have the Hankook H727s installed on my stock steelies and I think they are good tires for the Yaris. Don't judge them until you put at least 600 miles on them. I remember they were a little squirrely when I first had them put on. They are definitely quieter than the Goodyear Eagle LS that came on my Yaris. They handle even better now that I have the rear sway bar installed. I have about 10,000 miles or so on them now.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:07 AM   #5
zkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedtalker View Post
I have the Hankook H727s installed on my stock steelies and I think they are good tires for the Yaris. Don't judge them until you put at least 600 miles on them. I remember they were a little squirrely when I first had them put on. They are definitely quieter than the Goodyear Eagle LS that came on my Yaris. They handle even better now that I have the rear sway bar installed. I have about 10,000 miles or so on them now.
Awesome, thanks for the preview. :)

Anyone had any experience having tires installed at tirerack?
Old 10-10-2013, 07:44 AM   #6
Tedtalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkay View Post
Awesome, thanks for the preview. :)

I think they use the Hunter alignment system, probably their top model.
You can't go wrong.

http://www.hunter.com/alignment/hawkeye_elite/index.cfm
Old 10-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #7
jeeper5usa

Drives: 2011 Toyota Yaris
Only bad part about nitrogen is that if they get low, you can't fill with regular air anywhere, you need to topoff only with nitrogen. That's why I haven't used nitrogen. Once you put it in the tires you are committed to it, can't switch or top off with regular air.
jeeper5usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #8
zkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedtalker View Post
I think they use the Hunter alignment system, probably their top model.
You can't go wrong.

http://www.hunter.com/alignment/hawkeye_elite/index.cfm
Great! Thank you again. One more question, did you notice any MPG gain/loss going to the Hankooks?
Old 10-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #9
zkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper5usa View Post
Only bad part about nitrogen is that if they get low, you can't fill with regular air anywhere, you need to topoff only with nitrogen. That's why I haven't used nitrogen. Once you put it in the tires you are committed to it, can't switch or top off with regular air.
Hmm? http://www.getnitrogen.org/sub.php?v...s&subpage=leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetNitrogen.org
What if I get a flat or my tire has a leak?

Topping off nitrogen filled tires with compressed air is no problem. We recommend that you use nitrogen in your tires whenever possible, but if you run into a situation where you can’t get it, no problem. Go ahead and “top-off” your tires with air. Later, you can return to your dealer to have your tires purged of the air and refilled with nitrogen.

While nitrogen will help you maintain proper pressure, you should still check your tires on a regular basis and/or as recommended by the tire manufacturer.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #10
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkay View Post

I live just north of the state line, so they are only 35 minutes from me. ive done most of my tire purchases and installs at their headquarters and they do a great job.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:17 PM   #11
Neurotic Hapi Snak

Drives: 2011 Yaris 3dr
Why not get the Firestone Precision Touring or General Altimax RT43? Tirerack tested them against the Hankook Optimo H727, and both of those tires blew the Hankooks out of the water in traction. The Hankooks slightly beat the Generals in comfort and noise, and only matched the Firestones in those.

And if snow and ice traction is important to you, you should consider a set of winter tires. All-seasons are a poor excuse for winter tires.
Neurotic Hapi Snak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #12
zkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurotic Hapi Snak View Post
Why not get the Firestone Precision Touring or General Altimax RT43? Tirerack tested them against the Hankook Optimo H727, and both of those tires blew the Hankooks out of the water in traction. The Hankooks slightly beat the Generals in comfort and noise, and only matched the Firestones in those.

And if snow and ice traction is important to you, you should consider a set of winter tires. All-seasons are a poor excuse for winter tires.
If I could afford to have a separate set, I would in a heartbeat. I cannot, so I have to settle for the next best thing.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #13
zkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurotic Hapi Snak View Post

I might consider the firestone, but the generals have no reviews at all. The firestones only have 500k miles worth of reviews too.

Check this out:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve....jsp?type=HPAS

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...ay.jsp?type=ST

You'll note my tire in the first link, the Bridgestone Potenza RE92, has 55 million miles worth of reviews and is 2nd to last place on the rankings.

The second link, the firestone and hankooks are neck and neck for 2nd/3rd: 98% vs 95%. Only bested by the michelin defenders.

Any way I go, I'm certainly doing better than the bridgestones.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:34 AM   #14
Neurotic Hapi Snak

Drives: 2011 Yaris 3dr
Yeah, the Potenza are pretty bad considering the price. Dry they're okay, once you fill them up to 40psi, at the recommended 32psi they're squirrely. Wet, they leave a bit to be desired.
Neurotic Hapi Snak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #15
zkay

I wound up going with the Hankooks. I like them a lot so far. Tirerack's service was great, too. I was in and out in under an hour. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #16
zkay

Update: having issues. Think one of the tires was mounted incorrectly or something. Now has a leak. No foreign object visible on the tire, thinking it's a rim leak or valvestem. I am going to the dealership I bought the car from to have it remounted and all four filled with nitrogen.

Wrote the sales rep who took my order at tirerack asking how they intend to make it right. Will update.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #17
Tedtalker

Look forward to your impressions once you break them in.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:51 PM   #18
zkay

Update again, was my fault. I drove over a screw and it was buried inside one of the tread lines. Doh. Brought it in and was able to get it patched.

Liking them so far!