Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-26-2014, 11:19 PM   #1
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
10 Most Reliable Brands

From 350,000 sample 'trade ins' from all over the United States :

https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motora...213610506.html

1.Toyota
2. Lexus
3. GMC
4. Honda
5-10. see link
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:34 PM   #2
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
"The Corolla-based Prizm ... [is one of] the best Chevy cars when it comes to long-term reliability."

That's odd timing. The other day I noticed that lately I've been seeing more Prisms on the road, but came to the realization that I'm not seeing more of them, it's just that I'm seeing fewer surviving cars of that age on the road (i.e Neons, Cavaliers, etc.)

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:05 AM   #3
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmck03 View Post
"The Corolla-based Prizm ... [is one of] the best Chevy cars when it comes to long-term reliability."

That's odd timing. The other day I noticed that lately I've been seeing more Prisms on the road, but came to the realization that I'm not seeing more of them, it's just that I'm seeing fewer surviving cars of that age on the road (i.e Neons, Cavaliers, etc.)
Definitely. I think those of us who are more 'car aware' (YW members, members of other forums, etc) will notice what you have more than the average driver on the road would. A couple of friends of mine in California had Prizms 'back in the day', and they were extremely reliable.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:05 AM   #4
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
The website for the study he is developing http://tradeinqualityindex.com/ Is interesting. I've been looking at M35's recently, funny how he gives them a #1 rating. It amazes me how infinity never catches on, they make extremely reliable cars that perform just as well as anyone else.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:41 AM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Wheres Mazda? The Miata has to be one of the most reliable cars ever built.

BTW I think its total BS that cars are longer lived today than they were say 20 years ago. Look on C list for 1998 models. You wont find many....
Old 04-27-2014, 09:34 AM   #6
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Quote:
This makes me laugh. I agree that the miata is very reliable car when driving normally as a daily commuter car. I think about 80% of miata owners either autocross and/or do track days/events. I think that is why its not considered a reliable car because they get abused so much.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:50 AM   #7
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post

BTW I think its total BS that cars are longer lived today than they were say 20 years ago. Look on C list for 1998 models. You wont find many....
The Miata is not cheap.Used Miatas cost a bunch, plus as was just mentioned, they are usually driven hard and put away wet.

You are misunderstanding. It is not that cars are longer lived, it is that the fleet as a whole is older than it has ever been. Aka people cannot afford to buy a newer car even if they wanted to.

And the average certainly is not 20. It is 11.4. If you look for cars made in 2002, there are tons of them out there on used dealer lots.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:12 PM   #8
bronsin

[QUOTE=why?;735417].

And the average certainly is not 20. It is 11.4. QUOTE]

And 11.4 isn't any different from 30 years ago.

At least MY cars!
Old 04-27-2014, 03:48 PM   #9
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:

I think I would disagree. a much higher percentage of cars seem to see 200,000 miles in the last 15 years than in the 70's, 80's, and some of the 90's. I remember when it was quite an accomplishment to see a mid 80's-early 90's domestic make see 100,000.

add to that an indisputably better rust protection out of the factory versus two decades ago. even in the Midwest it is rare to see a rusty 10 yr old car. it was commonplace 15-20+ yrs ago. I know that isn't mechanical reliability, but a person sure is less willing to put money into fixing something mechanical on a rust bucket versus a car with a sound body.

here is a good article:(its not just a willingness to keep cars longer these days, its an actual ability to get them to 200,000+ without breaking the bank)

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/18/au...anted=all&_r=0

“Fifteen years ago, piston rings would show perhaps 50 microns of wear over the useful life of a vehicle,” Mr. Sorab said, referring to the engine part responsible for sealing combustion in the cylinder. “Today, it is less than 10 microns. As a benchmark, a human hair is 200 microns thick. "
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:51 PM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
The website for the study he is developing http://tradeinqualityindex.com/ Is interesting. I've been looking at M35's recently, funny how he gives them a #1 rating. It amazes me how infinity never catches on, they make extremely reliable cars that perform just as well as anyone else.
I am amazed as well. I see a lot of them here in Montgomery County (and in the northern part of adjacent Harris County), but when I travel to other parts of Texas or to other states, sightings are fewer and farther between.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:58 PM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
the fleet as a whole is older than it has ever been. Aka people cannot afford to buy a newer car even if they wanted to.
^^^^^ I have heard this from multiple sources (media/print/industry, etc., not personal or family) over the last few years.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:11 PM   #12
nookandcrannycar

Quote:

Part of this MIGHT be from advertising hype (have to have the latest, coolest to fit in ), but part of this (how much = debatable) is DEFINITELY due to 'Cash for Clunkers'. This program reduced the number of available really inexpensive (often older) used cars and has buffeted up the prices of the remaining cars in that tier in a way that wouldn't have happened if it weren't for that program.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:37 PM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
I think I would disagree. a much higher percentage of cars seem to see 200,000 miles in the last 15 years than in the 70's, 80's, and some of the 90's. I remember when it was quite an accomplishment to see a mid 80's-early 90's domestic make see 100,000.

add to that an indisputably better rust protection out of the factory versus two decades ago. even in the Midwest it is rare to see a rusty 10 yr old car. it was commonplace 15-20+ yrs ago. I know that isn't mechanical reliability, but a person sure is less willing to put money into fixing something mechanical on a rust bucket versus a car with a sound body.

here is a good article:(its not just a willingness to keep cars longer these days, its an actual ability to get them to 200,000+ without breaking the bank)

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/18/au...anted=all&_r=0

“Fifteen years ago, piston rings would show perhaps 50 microns of wear over the useful life of a vehicle,” Mr. Sorab said, referring to the engine part responsible for sealing combustion in the cylinder. “Today, it is less than 10 microns. As a benchmark, a human hair is 200 microns thick. "
Very interesting link. I wonder if Ford would have the same (or similar) result with the much smaller EcoBoost engine in the Fiesta SE ?

Re the Judge's Tesla and an impetus for his purchase....it p***ed me off when the state (California) changed the law so that a hybrid was no longer good enough for the carpool lane...had to be an all electric car
Old 04-28-2014, 06:15 AM   #14
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
"[/I]

That is true. I grew up in upstate NY and car looked like swiss cheese after maybe 10 years. Esp MoPars...