Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-03-2015, 10:40 AM   #1
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger SVO View Post
Coolest cup holders ever, literally. Who ever thought to put a cup holder in front of an AC vent is brilliant. A 100-degree day, a cold drink in the cup holder will still be cold when you get home.

Brilliant

Agreed and I think its just plain cool.

A little strange, I have a 1993 Ford Ranger and a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. My Wife has a 2012 Honda Civic EX and yet both of use use the Yaris regularly. She already called dibs on it for Monday and Tuesday so I have to drive the Sonata to work those days.
Love the two quotes at the bottom of your posts (not showing on your quote above). Re the first one, a friend I went on my first trip to Europe with embraces the spirit of that quote, and his enthusiasm shows when he discusses mathematics. At the time we traveled to Europe, my friend was getting his Masters. He later started his PhD, but found that particular program (in California) unsatisfying. He applied to the University of Maryland to continue to pursue a PhD in mathematics (which he eventually earned there). I remember speaking with him during the summer, after his first year in Maryland. He was raving about a particular professor, originally from Russia. That professor.....Sergey Brin's father. Sergey would have been a teenager at the time...well before Stanford, and Google.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:53 AM   #2
Ranger SVO

Drives: 2010 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Love the two quotes at the bottom of your posts (not showing on your quote above). Re the first one, a friend I went on my first trip to Europe with embraces the spirit of that quote, and his enthusiasm shows when he discusses mathematics.
I earned my Bachelors in Mathematics in 2008 at the age of 48. My favorite professor was from Russia, Alexander Karabegov at Abilene Christian University.

Recently I decided to go back to school and earn my Masters, I will graduate this spring. Like your friend, I sincerely enjoy the subject. I also believe that pure mathematics is worthless unless it is applied in real world applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428CobraJet View Post
I just retired. My 09 has 122000 miles. My plans were to replace it (after all i deserve a new car Right!). Well...im having to delay that....and im perfectly ok with it. The car is a ball...looks good. ..and drives just like it did that day in January of 09 when i picked it up. Fit and finish, switch gear, engine operation. The clutch engagement may have even gotten slightly better. If it wasn't for my fat self wearing the seat on ingress...and following too close making for chips on the hood...the age would be completely unnoticeable.
:-)
Mine has a lot less miles, but like yours, it drives just as good as the day I got it. I agree, it looks good.

Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.
Giordano Bruno
Ranger SVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:32 PM   #3
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger SVO View Post
I earned my Bachelors in Mathematics in 2008 at the age of 48. My favorite professor was from Russia, Alexander Karabegov at Abilene Christian University.

Recently I decided to go back to school and earn my Masters, I will graduate this spring. Like your friend, I sincerely enjoy the subject. I also believe that pure mathematics is worthless unless it is applied in real world applications
Good for you. When I turned 21, my aunt (my mother's sister) gave me a copy of our lineage papers (commissioned by my great-great uncle in 1966) as a present. I remember reading that one member of the family, quite far back, had been the oldest student ever at Harvard....over age 90, IIRC. I remember (at age 21) taking from that....learning and the pursuit of knowledge is something that should be celebrated throughout one's lifetime. For some reason, I also remember two things my late father always used to say....'The Jesuits teach you how to think'....and 'They can take everything else away from you (and he died with nothing), but they can't take away your education' (meaning the knowledge derived from one's education).

My friend's dad was an Aerospace Engineer. My friend did some contract programming while he was getting his Masters, but I don't think he enjoyed that world. My friend tended to rebel against his dad, personally (his parents were divorced) and professionally...and toward the example of both grandfathers in academia (his parents met because both of his grandfathers were professors at the University of Idaho).

Last edited by nookandcrannycar; 01-03-2015 at 01:52 PM. Reason: added 2nd paragraph
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote