Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-12-2015, 01:36 PM   #1
mirapatec

Drives: 2012 Yaris L, 2020 Yaris LE HB
New tire dealer had me rolling out with 50 PSI...??

So, I just purchased a new set of treads for my Yaris. I was on the fence between Generals and Yokohamas. Finally decided on the Yokohama Avid ENVigors, and had them fitted.

Getting out and about on the roads for some test-driving, I noticed quite a bit of bouncing and overall harsh ride. I dropped back by the tire dealer to mention the tires rode a little more harshly than I had anticipated. Come to find out, they had the tires inflated to 50 PSI, which was somewhat odd for me to discover. They said the newer tires required more air pressure for longer life, handling, etc.

Anyway, I got home and lowered the air pressure to a more reasonable 33 PSI, as per the info inside the driver's door. I must say that the car handles much better, the ride is smoother, and it sure is quieter. However, I am now confused as to the deal with the 50 PSI.

Has anyone else had this situation occur before? Is this normal, or did I just get some odd-ball tire installer?

mirapatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:41 PM   #2
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Sounds like they gave you a bullshit line to cover their arses.
It is not uncommon for an installer to over-inflate tires when mounting to get the bead set. However they should then drop the pressure down to the manufacturers spec for your vehicle. They didn't finish the job.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:25 PM   #3
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
I can't imagine how stiff and punishing the ride would be with 50 psi. I do 35 psi on my Yaris, and that is about as stiff a ride as I want on 195/60 tires.

Plus, I was told that significantly higher psi on tires can strain the sidewalls excessively and potentially cause premature blowouts.

Last edited by Kalispel; 10-12-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:11 PM   #4
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
Sounds like they gave you a bullshit line to cover their arses.
It is not uncommon for an installer to over-inflate tires when mounting to get the bead set. However they should then drop the pressure down to the manufacturers spec for your vehicle. They didn't finish the job.
I was about to write the same thing, they gave him a bullshit excuse. lol

30 psi in front for me and 26 psi rear. 205/45R16

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote