Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-08-2016, 12:34 PM   #1
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
March '16 Toyota Yaris Sales: Down

March '16 Yaris sales were down 51.3% compared to March '15. Year-to-date sales are also down 49.6% for a total of 2,683 units. For what it's worth, most small car sales are down due to low fuel prices.

Full article here:

http://www.subcompactculture.com/201...es-are-we.html
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:04 PM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Wow that's only 10000 a year.

Is the Yaris days numbered?
Old 04-08-2016, 01:23 PM   #3
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
I bet sales will go up in 2017, when the Yaris HB becomes a rebadged Mazda2, even though the quality/reliability will undoubtedly go down. CR will give it a great Honda-Fit like review/recommendation, since it has "newer tech" and lots of extra safety-features for idiot-drivers.

Absolutely amazing that the Nissan Versa has such a subcompact sales halo in the U.S. I guess that most American subcompact buyers really do buy their car based on pricing alone. I would have gladly paid a few thousand more dollars for my 2015 Yaris SE, with more upgrades to differentiate it from other trim-levels (+25-50 horsepower, factory TRD rear sway bar, upgraded exhaust system, upgraded climate control panel/controls, side-mirror turn signal lighting, etc.).

Last edited by Kalispel; 04-08-2016 at 01:36 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:33 PM   #4
MugenRep
iQ innovator & researcher

Drives: 2012 iQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
I bet sales will go up in 2017, when the Yaris HB becomes a rebadged Mazda2, even though the quality/reliability will undoubtedly go down. CR will give it a great Honda-Fit like review/recommendation, since it has "newer tech" and lots of extra safety-features for idiot-drivers.
Agreed. New models and facelifts always sell cars. I do love the style of the new Yaris and actually prefer it over the last gen. This is my opinion only though.

I disagree with quality going down. I honestly think Mazda is the only Japanse company left doing real innovation and quality work to further the internal combustion engine and make it more efficient. The Mazda2 guys with their 1.5 are now breaking 120whp with a aftermarket tune, intake, and exhaust and pulling more MPG than the stock ECU could muster. That was before SkyActive, so in a few years time, it'll be interesting to see where they take the technology/efficieny.

Although, I think the SkyActiv Rotary is going to be AS BIG AS a POS as the Renesis was......I hope to eat my words, but I don't have a lot of confidence after the Renesis 4-6 port pre-2011's were blowing up with only 50k on the odo (although Mazda did give them a 100,000 mile guarantee and rebuilt on their dollar). I still can't see $7000 in a Rotary rebuild....WAY WAY overpriced, IMO.

I'd love to state that Honda is doing things, but the only thing worthwhile technology and efficiency wise is the new NSX and Type R. Most of their current crop is disappointing and I prefer Honda to any other brand.
MugenRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:43 PM   #5
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
my 2015 Yaris SE
Imma gonna turn this into a drinking game. A shot for every time Kalispel says 'my 2015 Yaris SE'.

I'll rarely be sober again
Old 04-08-2016, 01:44 PM   #6
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugenRep View Post
Agreed. New models and facelifts always sell cars. I do love the style of the new Yaris and actually prefer it over the last gen. This is my opinion only though.

I disagree with quality going down. I honestly think Mazda is the only Japanse company left doing real innovation and quality work to further the internal combustion engine and make it more efficient. The Mazda2 guys with their 1.5 are now breaking 120whp with a aftermarket tune, intake, and exhaust and pulling more MPG than the stock ECU could muster. That was before SkyActive, so in a few years time, it'll be interesting to see where they take the technology/efficieny.

Although, I think the SkyActiv Rotary is going to be AS BIG AS a POS as the Renesis was......I hope to eat my words, but I don't have a lot of confidence after the Renesis 4-6 port pre-2011's were blowing up with only 50k on the odo (although Mazda did give them a 100,000 mile guarantee and rebuilt on their dollar). I still can't see $7000 in a Rotary rebuild....WAY WAY overpriced, IMO.

I'd love to state that Honda is doing things, but the only thing worthwhile technology and efficiency wise is the new NSX and Type R. Most of their current crop is disappointing and I prefer Honda to any other brand.
I'm with you on wishing Mazda all the best, and think they have made great strides with their SkyActiv work. I'm just not sure that the newer direct-inject engines and such currently will have the longevity of the modest 1NZ-FE powerplant, since they are pushing the boundaries of mechanical tolerance in order to achieve their additional gains.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:50 PM   #7
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
While I've long been a fan of Mazda styling, with the exception of the latest long snout design language, their body rust issues have always steered me clear. Even in the winter salt and brine environment here, a vast majority of Toyota vehicles >10 years old are still rust free. Comparable model year Mazda vehicles are full of cancer.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:51 PM   #8
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Imma gonna turn this into a drinking game. A shot for every time Kalispel says 'my 2015 Yaris SE'.

I'll rarely be sober again
How about "My Vitz RS" instead?

Old 04-08-2016, 01:52 PM   #9
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
While I've long been a fan of Mazda styling, with the exception of the latest long snout design language, their body rust issues have always steered me clear. Even in the winter salt and brine environment here, a vast majority of Toyota vehicles >10 years old are still rust free. Comparable model year Mazda vehicles are full of cancer.
I wonder what Mazda does so differently, that this is a chronic problem for them - and not Toyota, Honda, etc.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:07 PM   #10
wooverstone8

Drives: 2017 VW Jetta 1.4L Manual
The Yaris is pretty expensive compared to most subcompact cars on the U.S. market...
wooverstone8 is offline   Reply With Quote