Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-11-2018, 12:47 AM   #379
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
My exhaust shop did this as well. Cut the flange off and did a solid 2.25” from the resonator. I haven’t had to remove it so I cant comment of serviceability once it’s all solid
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:00 AM   #380
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmstrongRacing View Post
My exhaust shop did this as well. Cut the flange off and did a solid 2.25” from the resonator. I haven’t had to remove it so I cant comment of serviceability once it’s all solid
Yeah, the exhaust shop said that it just eliminates another point where leaking can happen, which definitely makes sense to me. This shop only uses aluminized pipe and does not mandrel bend, but this Yaris will never see the salty roads of winter. I also think that 2.25" will give good flow even though it's crush bending.

I bet it would make removing the pipe a little more difficult, or even impossible if it's welded, but it can always be cut again and rewelded if need be.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:11 AM   #381
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
The exhaust shop i went to also welded everything solid. Personally I'm not a fan. The gaskets with spring bolts add a section where it can flex under stress. This is one of the reasons my muffler weld snapped after 3 years when I was at the track.

I also like to be able to remove the exhaust in pieces if I need to service anything. I hate not being able to do thatvwithba solid one piece exhaust.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:26 AM   #382
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
The exhaust shop i went to also welded everything solid. Personally I'm not a fan. The gaskets with spring bolts add a section where it can flex under stress. This is one of the reasons my muffler weld snapped after 3 years when I was at the track.

I also like to be able to remove the exhaust in pieces if I need to service anything. I hate not being able to do thatvwithba solid one piece exhaust.
Good points for sure. I'm going to think about this a bit more before I move on it.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 11-11-2018, 11:31 AM   #383
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:

^ all of this.

I am currently welded solid as a repair was done which unbeknownst to me involved cutting out the flange. I hate the solid setup. I had been in the habit of swapping in my Tanabe Medalion for the summers, but no longer can. Now it just hangs useless in my basement.

Your hands just become tied once welded in.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2018, 11:56 AM   #384
06YarisRS

Exhaust Straight Talk...

Well, looking for opinions.

Here is my current setup:

Eastern Catalytics Midpipe which is large diameter until the resonator, then narrows down. This currently attached to the OEM Yaris, very restrictive, muffler. Question to you all: If I just bolt the Megan racing to the Eastern Catalytic midpipe, will it provide good enough flow. If I am only going to gain an almost imperceptible amount of power, does it really make sense to replace from the resonator back with large diameter pipe? I mean if I'm not going to feel a difference, is it really worth it. Maybe it would make a big difference. I also don't want cause the engine problems - in the long term - with too much backpressure. I suppose I could do this and then down the road, upsize that section of pipe.

Thought and opinions appreciated.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 11-11-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:04 PM   #385
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
I honestly wouldn’t mess with it yet. You’re still using a stock exhaust manifold so that pipe diameter reduction after the resonator likely isn’t your biggest issue.

I’d say just bolt it all up and drive it for a while. Try to sell off your 1nz parts and recoup some money, then revisit this in the future.
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:35 PM   #386
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Excellent. Thanks Tom. Shall we order all 6? I would like to cover 1/2 of the cost. I can go ahead and place the order. We just need to decide where to send them.

Adam
I'm in. Domestic post in the us is pretty cheap, so I'm good with one person distributing them instead of separates shipping from the UK.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:48 PM   #387
06YarisRS

Quote:
I honestly wouldn’t mess with it yet. You’re still using a stock exhaust manifold so that pipe diameter reduction after the resonator likely isn’t your biggest issue.

I’d say just bolt it all up and drive it for a while. Try to sell off your 1nz parts and recoup some money, then revisit this in the future.
Excellent advice that I will follow, for sure. Thanks!

Old 11-11-2018, 02:50 PM   #388
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:

Fully agree, it wont make a large difference and since you tend to like to keep the rpm's down this will keep the torque in that range.

As Tom said, revisit it down the road if need be
Old 11-11-2018, 02:52 PM   #389
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
I'm in. Domestic post in the us is pretty cheap, so I'm good with one person distributing them instead of separates shipping from the UK.
Great, Sam. Am I interpreting correctly from your response that I should have the seller send them to you and you would redistribute? If so, please PM me your address. I'm going to contact the seller of the badges and see if he will give us a deal on 3, unless anyone else decides they want one. I will place the order when I hear back from the seller.

Thanks

Old 11-11-2018, 02:55 PM   #390
06YarisRS

Quote:
Fully agree, it wont make a large difference and since you tend to like to keep the rpm's down this will keep the torque in that range.

As Tom said, revisit it down the road if need be
Yes, I was thinking that too. I suppose the true benefit of a freer flowing system comes into play when the engine is outputting at higher RPM. Thanks.

Old 11-11-2018, 03:08 PM   #391
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
Can you make one for the 2015 liftback because i am poverty :D ?
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:14 PM   #392
06YarisRS

Exhaust Pipe Sizing

Thought I'd do a little reading about proper sizing for exhaust. For now I am just going to leave the 1.75" midpipe (from the resonator to muffler flange) and bolt up the Megan axleback. However, at some point down the road, I'll likely do an upgrade on that section of the midpipe.

Here is a table for reference. I am not sure how accurate this is, but it talks about flow through a "straight" section of pipe. According to the table (based upon a HP output of ~130), I should use a 2" pipe. I think The Barber said he had great success with a 2" resonator to muffler flange upgrade. Considering that I have the 1.8L engine and there are bends, turns etc in the pipe, I would upsize to 2.25", which jives completely with what everyone here is saying.

Link: http://www.exhaustvideos.com/faq/how...pipe-diameter/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 11-12-2018 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:34 AM   #393
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Great, Sam. Am I interpreting correctly from your response that I should have the seller send them to you and you would redistribute? If so, please PM me your address. I'm going to contact the seller of the badges and see if he will give us a deal on 3, unless anyone else decides they want one. I will place the order when I hear back from the seller.

Thanks
If it's easier that way, I can do that. I was suggesting in general that it's probably easier on the seller to just use one address and then we as a group can sort it out on our end. =)
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:38 PM   #394
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Hate to break up the good exhaust piping progress happening but I just saw this and had to acknowledge its excellence lol.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:41 PM   #395
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
If it's easier that way, I can do that. I was suggesting in general that it's probably easier on the seller to just use one address and then we as a group can sort it out on our end. =)
As per PM, I had them sent to me, Sam. Not sure when they'll arrive, but I'll let you guys know approximately when to expect them. Thanks!

Old 11-12-2018, 02:43 PM   #396
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Hate to break up the good exhaust piping progress happening but I just saw this and had to acknowledge its excellence lol.
Like that do ya? Clearly, I have too much time on my hands. If I still had Photoshop, it would have been a better job. But Paint will do in a pinch.