Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-11-2019, 11:22 AM   #1
heistp

Drives: Toyota Yaris 1.3hb
How to drive my 2007 Yaris forever

I've had a 2007 Yaris since I got it new, and it now has just under 100,000 km on it. I love the car and would like to keep it as long as I can, but after my recent mandatory technical check (every two years here in Czech), it's still approved for the road, but the items listed on the report suggest that time and rust/corrosion are my main enemy. I had nothing listed two years ago and maybe the tech was just nicer last time, but this time it's:
  • mild surface corrosion of brake lines
  • minor corrosion of the frame (doesn't affect strength of vehicle)
  • minor leaks in exhaust system seals
  • minor corrosion of body work

Recognizing that it can't last forever can anyone suggest any preventative steps I can take so it doesn't rust out before its time?

It is driven in winter, and has been in a slightly heated garage for the last few years. I don't regularly wash the undercarriage, for example. If some minor corrosion has started, is washing it still a good idea? Can I protect it somehow? Otherwise, I take it once a year or as needed for routine maintenance, but it hasn't needed any major work so far.

Thanks for any ideas...
heistp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:26 PM   #2
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Here in Canada, oil spraying your car is popular for rust prevention. If you spray it now, it would be like hitting the pause button. You'll still have the rust you have now, but shouldn't get much worse.

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:46 PM   #3
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Get a gallon of Fluid Film & an airless paint sprayer, have at it. Get inside the rockers too.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:00 AM   #4
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-x-fire View Post
Get a gallon of Fluid Film & an airless paint sprayer, have at it. Get inside the rockers too.
Sadly we don't have that product here in Europe. It's a shame. I have seen how good it is!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2019, 05:48 AM   #5
heistp

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoidberg444 View Post
Sadly we don't have that product here in Europe. It's a shame. I have seen how good it is!
Thanks everyone for the ideas. Any tip on what is available here in Europe? I can go see what's available at the local parts store and report back, but would be glad to know what to avoid. I do have concerns about oil spraying, environmentally, at least.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:03 AM   #6
heistp

Hold on, I think I found the stuff here, does this look right?

https://www.stop-koroze.cz/fluid-fil...erosol-400-ml/
Old 03-12-2019, 08:35 AM   #7
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
My 2007 Yaris rusts as well, obviously Czech Republic is rust-positive :(
I will see what my "STK" indicates in July, I may quickly become interested in exactly the same topic.
However... does it make sense for car with 250,000 km ?
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:09 AM   #8
heistp

Quote:
Originally Posted by komichal View Post
My 2007 Yaris rusts as well, obviously Czech Republic is rust-positive :(
I will see what my "STK" indicates in July, I may quickly become interested in exactly the same topic.
However... does it make sense for car with 250,000 km ?
Dobrý den. I think with STK it depends who the technician is. The guy two years ago was friendly and the report was "clean", žadné problémy. I don't think that much changed so fast. The tech this year was listing everything he could. It was lucky I just restored one headlight that was yellowing (by sanding and clear-coating it), because he tested the headlight intensity and I would have failed for sure.

If this spray works, in my opinion it still makes sense for a car with high kilometers, if it doesn't have anything else major wrong. Even if you have to spend 2000 Kc on it, the cost of replacing a frame or suspension part will be much higher, and at that point you'll think about a new car. Each year you don't have to buy a new car is worth a lot for the wallet and environment.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:29 AM   #9
firebird1999us

Drives: 2003 Mach 1
I've got 360k miles on mine... which translates to about 579,000km. Just oil changes, belt changes, general maintenance, one starter, 2 alternators, and like 4 batterys

Actually just bought a 2019 Corolla to take over in the event of catastrophe because this is uncharterd territory for me with a car... I'll continue driving the Yaris until something major happens, garage it, and eventually get it fixed.
firebird1999us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:30 AM   #10
stykerdk
Yaris Hybrid Limited 2015

Drives: yaris Hybrid limited 2015
you can look at these videos of how a professional rust profing is made here in denmark.
Its pretty normal to get i done here, because we are in the salt and moisture belt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBkdqwwPRVk&t=221s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU8amOp9S00&t=2s

My old carina E/corona from 97 was almost rust free when it went to africa in 2017, but it had also got plenty of rust profing in its lifetime.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:23 PM   #11
heistp

Wow, I can see how the professional equipment makes it much faster, and probably better. So I'll see if I can find anyone who does it here in Czech, otherwise I'm not clear on what to hit with it and what not.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:27 PM   #12
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
How heated is your garage? Anything over 7°C is bad IMO. I came to accept it my car won't last much longer. My 07 Yaris bought in 06 is 13 years old this year. Hopefully I can get it to 15-16 years, but I don't have much faith in it. It is starting to require quite a bit of repairs.

This summer I am going to repaint the 2 front fenders. It has started last rusting last year, now it's just horrible around the arch.

Windshield is starting to get unglued from 2 of the 4 corners. You can see moisture inside.
Exhaust is leaking around both joints where there are the gasket donuts.

Chassis rust has hit under chassis in 2012 when I parked in a 15°C garage 2 years prior.

Clutch is getting tired. I got a fidenza flywheel, but not sure if it's worth the effort to spend time and actually replace the clutch.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2019, 08:26 PM   #13
B.B._07

Drives: 07 5dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by heistp View Post
Hold on, I think I found the stuff here, does this look right?

https://www.stop-koroze.cz/fluid-fil...erosol-400-ml/
Yes that is Fluid Film. You don't have to use Fluid Film it's just the best known brand. Other companies make similar oily anti rust sprays. Some people even use bar and chain oil, boiled linseed oil, or used motor oil (but those can get really messy). Back in the day farmers would coat their machinery in diesel fuel as a cheap alternative.

Parking in a heated garage during the winter is harmful because the road salt that coats your car (especially the underside) will cause corrosion quicker at a warm temperature. At very cold temperatures the effects of road salt are minimized which is why cars from more extreme winter climates survive with less rust than those from mild winter climates.

Last edited by B.B._07; 03-12-2019 at 08:39 PM.
B.B._07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:17 PM   #14
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
I have a silly question. I live in one of those mild winter climates. We can have freezing rain or five inches of snow one day, and then a few days later it warms up to 40 degrees. Oftentimes, on those mild days following a deep freeze, it rains. I avoid driving when the roads are salted as much as possible. I take the city bus to work and I live within walking distance of a grocery store, so I have the luxury of choosing not to drive if I don't want to. However, there have been a couple of times this year when I did have to drive on a freshly-salted highway. When that happened, I would take a long highway drive during the next big rainstorm, with the idea that the heavy rain would wash all the salt off the undercarriage. Would this actually work? Is driving in the rain a good way to clean off the undercarriage and prevent rust, or does it not actually do anything?
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:09 PM   #15
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B._07 View Post
Yes that is Fluid Film. You don't have to use Fluid Film it's just the best known brand. Other companies make similar oily anti rust sprays. Some people even use bar and chain oil, boiled linseed oil, or used motor oil (but those can get really messy). Back in the day farmers would coat their machinery in diesel fuel as a cheap alternative.

Parking in a heated garage during the winter is harmful because the road salt that coats your car (especially the underside) will cause corrosion quicker at a warm temperature. At very cold temperatures the effects of road salt are minimized which is why cars from more extreme winter climates survive with less rust than those from mild winter climates.
I very much agree with this. It's one of the main reasons I get my car Krown'd every spring and leave my car unwashed all winter while it sits in a driveway.

Heated garages are great but should be left for the summer cars or ones that ar not driven in salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
I have a silly question. I live in one of those mild winter climates. We can have freezing rain or five inches of snow one day, and then a few days later it warms up to 40 degrees. Oftentimes, on those mild days following a deep freeze, it rains. I avoid driving when the roads are salted as much as possible. I take the city bus to work and I live within walking distance of a grocery store, so I have the luxury of choosing not to drive if I don't want to. However, there have been a couple of times this year when I did have to drive on a freshly-salted highway. When that happened, I would take a long highway drive during the next big rainstorm, with the idea that the heavy rain would wash all the salt off the undercarriage. Would this actually work? Is driving in the rain a good way to clean off the undercarriage and prevent rust, or does it not actually do anything?
Depends on if the salt is completely washed off the road by the time you get on it. Typucally takes a really good pouring or a few days of rain for that to happen.

I don't think what you're doing is bad, but your best bet is to have the car oil sprayed every spring once the salt is off the road and the temps rise. At least if you want the car to last as long as possible. Nothing else will do nearly as much to protect it except not driving it at all during the winter.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:48 PM   #16
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
When I do my drives through the rain, I'm pretty sure that all the salt is washed off the road. Lately, we've been having very intense rainstorms a few days after a serious snow. Rain so intense, that I can only see the taillights of the car in front of me, and I have to concentrate extra hard to see the white lines.

I will look into oil spraying my car. I'm sure there's plenty of YouTube videos that show how to do it. So far, the body of my car is in perfect shape, just some very, very minor surface rust on some parts of the undercarriage. I really like this car, and I want it to stay in great shape for a long, long time.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 02:46 AM   #17
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
There are a few patches of rust on my car i think i will have to treat with the grinder and some of that rust treatment paint this year or next year otherwise those spots might get a little ropey.

Normally a few times through out the winter i get under my car with the jetwash and thoroughly blast the salt off as best i can. Especially if we're going to go a week or two without any salt on the roads. I also do a thorough cleaning during my spring service after winter is over.

I've never oil sprayed my car. I have seen that Krown rust proof process they have in Canada/US. Maybe i should try doing something similar myself next winter. I think the Krown stuff is a mixture of WD40 and castor oil.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2019, 06:03 AM   #18
heistp

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
How heated is your garage? Anything over 7°C is bad IMO. I came to accept it my car won't last much longer. My 07 Yaris bought in 06 is 13 years old this year. Hopefully I can get it to 15-16 years, but I don't have much faith in it. It is starting to require quite a bit of repairs.
Now that you mention it, I only started putting it in the garage in the last four years when we moved into the house, and it really seems like the rusting has accelerated.

It can be 10C in the garage, and unfortunately can also be humid sometimes if the cars come in wet, even if we try to clean them (two car garage).I thought the garage would be better for it, but the rusting underneath has accelerated and my steel wheels for winter went from rustless to covered in it in two years. Previously the car had been parked outside.

I have the option of parking it outside under a carport, and I think I'm going to start doing just that, in addition to having it oil sprayed. The climate is cold here. This is really helpful, thank you.