Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-15-2019, 04:28 AM   #1
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
If you are really in Dhaka - why would you want to use 0W oil???
AFAIK the temperature never goes below 0 degrees Celsius there. You should look for 10W50 (you should still be OK even with 20W50 but that is out of Toyota specs I think).
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:49 AM   #2
Bony_ahmed

Drives: Toyota Yaris SEdan
Quote:
Originally Posted by komichal View Post
If you are really in Dhaka - why would you want to use 0W oil???
AFAIK the temperature never goes below 0 degrees Celsius there. You should look for 10W50 (you should still be OK even with 20W50 but that is out of Toyota specs I think).
Well i live in Dhaka, and thinking about driving using a thicker oil. My main concern is about the 40 weight, will it ruin the engine and will it drop my MPG?

20w50 is too thick, i think its more meant for track driving.

and also there is no good quality 5w30 in the market here, that's another reason to switch
Bony_ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:26 PM   #3
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bony_ahmed View Post
Well i live in Dhaka, and thinking about driving using a thicker oil. My main concern is about the 40 weight, will it ruin the engine and will it drop my MPG?

20w50 is too thick, i think its more meant for track driving.

and also there is no good quality 5w30 in the market here, that's another reason to switch
0w40 is 0 weight. 40 is the heat resistance.

You really want to look for something 10w, 15w or 20w.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2019, 12:40 PM   #4
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
0w40 is 0 weight. 40 is the heat resistance.

You really want to look for something 10w, 15w or 20w.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Why would you ever want to increase the cold weight of the oil? Even in 90* ambient temps that is still much lower than the 212* operating temp of an oil. A 0w would keep the "cold" start viscocity closest to operating temp viscocity tjat any higher number would.

Oils are thicker at colder temps even multi weight oils. A 5w means it flows like a 5 weight oil at 0* and a 0w oil flows like a 0 weight at 0*. It does not mean the oil weight is 5 or 0 at 0*. If that was the case than our passenger car pil would be thinner after being left in the freezer than it is left on the shelf

To the OP, are you monitoring pil pressure? If you are not then you have no reason to increase your oil weight above the factory spec. The only need for this is if you are suffering from oil pressures below Toyota's spec.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:50 PM   #5
Bony_ahmed

Drives: Toyota Yaris SEdan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Why would you ever want to increase the cold weight of the oil? Even in 90* ambient temps that is still much lower than the 212* operating temp of an oil. A 0w would keep the "cold" start viscocity closest to operating temp viscocity tjat any higher number would.

Oils are thicker at colder temps even multi weight oils. A 5w means it flows like a 5 weight oil at 0* and a 0w oil flows like a 0 weight at 0*. It does not mean the oil weight is 5 or 0 at 0*. If that was the case than our passenger car pil would be thinner after being left in the freezer than it is left on the shelf

To the OP, are you monitoring pil pressure? If you are not then you have no reason to increase your oil weight above the factory spec. The only need for this is if you are suffering from oil pressures below Toyota's spec.
I'm not monitoring oil pressure, okay i think i got it.
thanks man !!!
Bony_ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:17 PM   #6
jhonz1981

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post

If we will switch to higher weight, say 10W50 from 0W40, is there an effect in the car MPG?
jhonz1981 is offline   Reply With Quote