Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-20-2011, 01:03 AM   #181
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Here is a picture of the parts......I am going to take them of a step by step as I do the install.

I figured out how to make quick release and horn work and what parts to get.

CTScott helped me make sure what resistors to get for airbag....thankyou bro....

I also found a great local store that was like a crackhouse for anyone who likes electricity......OMG I drove there 42 miles to get $3 in resistors and walked out $50 poorer....but got lots of great stuff for my amp and found a lot of nice stuff to buy later on....parking lot was hell to get in and out as there was a huge sloped entrance and I had to slowly get back into fast trafic.....but what a great store....

So tomorrow I jsut gota find a paperclip and some epoxy and I am ready to install nd will post all pictures...I figure everyone can use the help should they cahnge wheels....
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:28 AM   #182
nevada

Drives: Black Toyota Vits '08
Weww ... at least your Journey and the 50 bucks was worth it. Can't wait to see the update on Your Ride. I must Be great once those items have been installed ...
nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:42 PM   #183
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Please do a write up on your steering wheel install and airbag light reisistor mod. My steering wheel after 106k miles is starting to get smooth and shiny where I usually have my hands, and also my airbag light is stuck on because the first shop that fixed my car botched the airbag install. I would rather just go with an aftermarket wheel because 1. My original wheel is wore down 2. The airbag doesn't work anyway 3. The shop is 120 miles away that needs to fix it and they won't back their work up .

So I want to know. Must know....
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:45 PM   #184
bzinn 1

Sure see it will come in handy already......lol

Now I just gotta find a paperclip and some epoxy that is how I will be isolating the power lead for the horn trigger and mounting to the turn and wiper cases....you'll see.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:43 PM   #185
bzinn 1

Ok so here is a step by step of the things needed to do a clean install of a steering wheel,horn works with no twisty wires,airbag light goes off as it should.Took me 2 hours to do the install.

Over all to do it I would say it took me about 4 hours on Youtube,Google,and some prep work to get materials and such.Difficulty level I would say 2-3 out of 10 tops.

So first picture is of the Beginning of the install.

Next remove the Negative cable from battery and leave door open to discharge the airbag.Then remove the Positive cable from battery.Total time before I started to remove Airbag was about 3 minutes to make sure it was discharged.

Undid the two Tork screws T27 is the size.

Pop the two clips up and remove the two cable s from the airbag.

Airbag removed

Airbag and Horn clips......clockspring still installed to the harness.

Clockspring removed.

Next you need a paperclip and a lighter.On the blinker and on the wiper handles where the clock spring attaches you are going to heat the paperclip up and work it through the sides of each clip,melting a path through it.Take your time and do a neat job of it.

This is where the paperclip sits once melted through.

The wiper stalk side.

Now that you have a path through both you need a crimp and a short wire.I cut the stock horn wire and made my own new junction and then the wire goes to the paperclip with the crush sleeve on it and gets crushed together.Then plug in the wire to the horn wire.

Clip in place,wrap left side around the plastic clip where the old clockspring clipped and then on the other side is a channel and you bend the paperclip up in tot he channel and that puts good tension on the paperclip.This makes it so it does not move and has a good bow to it.

Now for the airbag harness and the resistors.On the yellow plug topside is a white clip that takes a small screwdriver and pops straight up and off.Then take resistor and put in the first two holes on the left,do not use the larger holes where the copper terminal is,I tried tat and never got a good connection,slide the resistor in the small er hole so you can see the resistor wires touching the pins,line them up nice and straight,repait this to the Right side of the terminal with the other resistor,make sure they do not touch each other and put the white plug back in and if it is all lined up cleanly it will close right up,if not line up wires from resistor better.

LIne up hub with the top of it at the top,there is a small dot on the NRG hub,probably the same on most.Hook the wire from the back side copper surface on the hub to the yellow wire on the quick release and the black wire to the black wire,they are male female so it is hard to screw it up.Bolt on the quick release hub.

On the horn button the negative is the outside one and the center post is the Positive side that goes to the yellow wire in the other side of the quick release,I had to cut off my end as the horn button and the hub wire were both male to I corrected and hooked up.Make sure to heatshrink it all well.

Wheel installed to quick release and everything in place.

Wires neatly tucked away and zip tied.

No airbag light,the light comes on when you start car just like normal and then goes off just like normal.My first attempt I got a airbag light on dash that stayed on and then I discovered the resistor needed put together like I said to do and then it worked fine.

Everything back together and ready to go.

Wheel installed....

Hope this helps anyone who wondered how to do this.

Big thanks to MicroImage and CTScott for the great products and help with how to do the resistor trick.....

Last edited by bzinn 1; 11-20-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:09 AM   #186
mr_miles

Drives: 2013 Yaris
great write up! you should make a separate thread for that and sticky it! :O
mr_miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #187
Kens
RS

Drives: Toyota vitz rs 2006
Fantastic job mate. Well done!
Kens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:58 PM   #188
bzinn 1

Thanks guys.....I made sure that if you use the SEarch and put in airbag resistor it comes up,also will with airbag removal and steerign wheel install.....I can make a separate write up if needed.

Only thing I dont like about this install is my steering wheel is not centered,guess once I get the bags installed I will have to take it in to get aligned and find out what is bent...lol.....think it is from the pothole I hit in the spring on the old wheels that is still haunting me,......it has been like this for a while but the yellow stripe really lets you know its off....lol
Old 11-21-2011, 11:07 PM   #189
mr_miles

cant you just re-align the steering wheel to be straight when the wheels point straight? my steering wheel is crooked also, but i know it's been pulled before so i just assumed it was re-attached a little off kilter.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:52 PM   #190
Joetwos
Fiebrú

Drives: Yaris Sedan '07
Last pic, mega like!! lol
Joetwos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:03 PM   #191
bzinn 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_miles View Post
cant you just re-align the steering wheel to be straight when the wheels point straight? my steering wheel is crooked also, but i know it's been pulled before so i just assumed it was re-attached a little off kilter.
Wish I could,mine has been off since Spring when I hit pothole on the way to Charity for Japan and blew both drivers side wheels.

It is an easy fix,when gettign car aligned they are supposed to put the wheel straight and put the lock brace on it and then do the alignment.I never did this,I just replaced the parts that got bent and measured from the passenger side and tightened up it all.

since I am gonna do bags and camber in the spring I figured to wait till then to do it,tires are wearing fairly well,and since they are differant sized front and back and directional I plan on them maybe lasting 20000 miles tops since I cant rotate...lol....the cost of a nice stance.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:54 AM   #192
mr_miles

I used to periodically set my friends RX7 steering wheel sideways when i had the tools handy just to mess with him :D lol.

I try not to buy directional tires if i can, i hated not being able to rotate the wheels on my FB :(
Old 12-13-2011, 01:20 AM   #193
bzinn 1

Gonna see if a set of '11 STI front bumper side vents will fit.......will keep you posted,who knows how long it could take to get here from NY at Xmas....lol
Old 12-19-2011, 12:47 AM   #194
bzinn 1

HKS filter installed on the Injen intake.....big improvement,but the stock Injen filter was like 2 years old and had been cleaned at lesat 4 times so it was probably pretty much crap.

Motor sound changed,exhaust sound changed,bit more snap and pop in the midpipe when letting off gas....but it is not louder just sounds meaner.Intake has growl now too.

STI bumper vents should be here thursday....hope they fit,may have to relocate filter with some duct to give me space,will know more thursday.

Also thinking about installing the STI roof vent,the little pop up one

Last edited by bzinn 1; 12-19-2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:32 PM   #195
bzinn 1

Finally got the DC header installed,was a pain to get the two nuts off....be sure if you are removing he stock one use a deep 12mm 6 side socket and that is about the only way to get a grip to get them off,the other three bolts come right off.

The mid pipe was a pain to line up but no leaks and it is on,O2 sensor went right out old one and right in the new header.

Power is much improved,from about 3200-6500 it pulls like it should.....motor seems to wind up effortlessly now.

Volume of Header,midpipe,and can is a lot louder if I put it to the floor,sound like a Toyota should now.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #196
Dadams

Drives: '09 yaris hatchback
video mayhaps? :P Id love to hear it! what was the diameter of your midpipe you put in?

My yaris build!
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36908
Please feel free to leave your oppinions! I would love to have them to see what I can improve on!
Dadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:11 PM   #197
MidnightQueen

Drives: 04 Yaris Sol
Mighty stuff! :)
MidnightQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:06 AM   #198
bzinn 1

yeah I need to make a video.......it is honestly pretty loud,like ticket getter loud if a cop was right next to you in traffic and he wanted to be a dick loud....

Mid Pipe is the Nitto,pretty sure it is 2",it is well made,so far it is holding up really good wehn I was under there looking around.

I think I may invest in a magna flow or some other type can....also was thinking of doing a boso exhaust out the back for fun

It rains here a lot and we get pretty cooped up and bored....lol

The car has a pretty shift sound now....hard to explaine I just need to catch it on video....gonna get a gopro soon I think in the spring so I can takea few decent videos.