Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-09-2010, 04:26 PM   #181
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I don't hate it, but I don't love it. I keep thinking "Matrix." I do not like the Matrix, however.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #182
DeathBeard

Drives: 2010 Yaris S
I wish Toyota would use a wishbone suspension design instead of the beam/strut setup

Proverbs 16:9
DeathBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:52 PM   #183
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
I would like it if they kept the same pod-like design but gave it a more aggressive body kit (like some of the aftermarket body kits) and then gave it more options, like a factory turbo option and/or a 1.8L engine, and of course better suspension in the rear...

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:54 AM   #184
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
it is still a little bit different looking interior. honestly, if my yaris had that interior, i probably would have kept it. it wasnt completely the design, it was just the overall chintzy look to it that i hated about the current yaris.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:19 AM   #185
NinjaPirate
n00bcake

Drives: 07 Yaris YR hatch
There is a sneak peek up on the Toyota Japan site now :(
Old 11-23-2010, 07:45 AM   #186
BluYrs
ヴィッツ ドライバー

Drives: 2006 3d 1.0 Linea Sol
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPirate View Post
Here it is:

The blue one
BluYrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:19 AM   #187
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPirate View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluYrs View Post
Here it is:
Did Toyota forget that we've already seen the full pictures 2 months ago?
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:42 AM   #188
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
Toyota likes to pretend that the internet doesn't exist. . .
Old 11-30-2010, 08:58 PM   #189
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
If the next Yaris looks like that it had better be a hybrid or diesel.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:48 AM   #190
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
If the next Yaris looks like that it had better be a hybrid or diesel.
Don't hold your breath.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:54 AM   #191
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBeard View Post
I wish Toyota would use a wishbone suspension design instead of the beam/strut setup
I don't think they'll ever do that. Even Honda moved away from the double wishbone setup.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:27 PM   #192
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Good article with some answered questions...

http://kaizenfactor.wordpress.com/20...t-in-mexico-2/

Quote:

Toyota Japan issued a fairly-detailed English language press release on the newest Vitz, but, nevertheless, we’ll review the most important points. Debuting strictly as a 5-door hatchback with styling that foregoes the rounded, jellybean look of the previous two generations for a more angular style reminiscent of the Peugeot 308, the new Vitz/Yaris is also, in old-school Detroit parlance, longer-lower-wider than its predecessor. The graphic below informs us of a 50 mm longer wheelbase, 100 mm increase in overall length and 20 mm lower height. That translates into an almost 2″ longer wheelbase (from 2460 mm/96.9″ to 2510 mm/98.8″), 4″ longer overall length (from 3785 mm/149″ to 3885 mm/153″ outside North America) and ¾” lower (from 1525 mm/60″ to 1505 mm/59.25″).

In Japan, the new Vitz is available in four different trim levels: the base F model; mid-grade U (which adds a leather-covered steering wheel and shift knob, plus heated seats); a new Jewela grade with exclusive interior and exterior trim options, plus silver-finish accents; and the sporty RS with its own front and rear bumper design, a roof spoiler, sports seats and leather-wrapped steering wheel with dimple stitching. And no, the terminally angry and defiant among you cannot combine trim levels to create an FU model, nor add the C package… Toyota proudly touts the availability of 17 exterior and four interior colors for the Vitz in Japan, including the Ford Fiesta-esque magenta shown at the top of this story and a chocolate brown shade shown below that can’t help but remind us of the Lexus CT 200h’s Fire Agate Pearl.

Insofar as powertrain possibilities, the latest Vitz is an evolutionary proposition. At launch, the JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) version offers a trio of 4-cylinder engine options that carry over from its predecessor: the 1-liter 1KR-FE, 1.3-liter 1NR-FE and 1.5 liter 1NZ-FE, the latter being the only engine available in North America. In Japan, it’s also the only one, in RS guise, to offer a 5-speed manual transmission. The two smaller engines come standard with what Toyota calls its Super CVT-i transmission, and this is also available with the 1.5-liter engine. On CVT-equipped RS models, it becomes the seven-speed Sports Sequential Shiftmatic transmission with a paddle shift-type shift lever that provides manual-transmission feel. Thus, this joins JDM versions of the Lexus CT 200h in attempting to instill a manumatic, “stepped-gears” feel into what are essentially continuously variable, gearless transmissions.

The intermediate 1.3-liter engine also offers a couple of notable options. For one, it’s the only engine that can be paired with all-wheel-drive. Also, somewhat counterintuitively, this is actually the most fuel-economical option when equipped with the optional Smart Stop package. That is Toyota’s take on the micro-hybrid start-stop systems so popular throughout Europe that shut down the engine when stopped at a light and restarts it (in just 0.35 seconds) when pressing the accelerator. So equipped, the new Vitz is rated at 26.5 km/L (62 mpg) on the Japanese 10-15 test cycle.

And what about a full-on hybrid version? We earlier discounted the possibility for North America and, quite surprisingly, the Japanese Car Design Corner blog quotes 3rd-generation Vitz Chief Engineer Yamamoto Hirobumi as stating that there won’t be a hybrid version available. Yet, recalling reports from earlier this year, we conclude that a hybrid version of the new Yaris will be offered, albeit only in Europe. The Old Continent should also expect a diesel-powered Yaris, presumably keeping the current 1ND-TV 1.4-liter engine.

While the more angular exterior has received a somewhat mixed reception from Internet commenters, the new interior and, especially, the instrument panel has been widely lauded as a vast improvement over the previous center-mounted instrument cluster. Granted, photographs don’t allow for a clear appreciation of the quality of materials used, but it’s still a huge step in the right direction. And the improvements go beyond improved aesthetics. The interior as a whole is 35 mm (almost 1.4″) longer than before, with all this extra length dedicated to additional rear-seat legroom. Yet, the cargo area has not been neglected, with a notable 5.7″ increase in total depth. And the Lexus CT 200h obsession with driving position and comfort has carried over to its baby cousin, with a vertical adjustment range of the driver’s seat now at 60 mm/2.4″ (15 mm/0.6″ more than the previous model) and the seat slide adjustment range is 10 mm/0.4″ with 24 steps (8 steps more than the previous model). Also, to keep things cool and comfortable, the new Vitz is the first vehicle in the world to use UV-reducing glass in the front-door glass. This reduces 99% of incoming ultraviolet light, providing the same level of UV protection as wearing gloves!

What about a 3-door version?

Upon reading that the 3rd-generation Vitz has launched exclusively as a 5-door hatchback, fans of the 3-door version may well be wondering if that body style is now history. After all, the larger C-segment has recently seen a massive move away from a single door per side. In the smaller B-segment where the Yaris/Vitz competes, however, there is a much larger presence of the 3-door hatch body among its rivals. That’s not to say, however, that this is a universal trend. Honda, for one, has never seen fit to offer a 3-door Fit/Jazz, and the Nissan Micra launched its 4th generation just over a year ago exclusively as a 5-door hatchback. And, quite notably, the current Toyota Yaris is one of just a handful of B-segment 3-door hatchbacks sold in North America (along with the soon-to-be-replaced Hyundai Accent, the upcoming Fiat 500 and, arguably, the much pricier BMW MINI). Thus, it’s anybody’s guess whether the North American Yaris will or won’t offer a 3-door hatchback variant.

In Europe, on the other hand, we predict the continuation of this body style for the 3rd-generation Yaris. After all, the 3-door hatchback variants of the current Ford Fiesta, Mazda2 and Chevrolet Aveo that are absent from North America are available in Europe, and other Old World rivals such as the VW Polo and Opel/Vauxhall Corsa also offer this model. The likeliest venue for the debut of the French-built European version of the 3rd-generation Yaris is the 2011 Geneva Auto Show in early March.

Will there be a 4-door sedan?

In stark contrast to the 3-door hatchback, the 4-door sedan version of the Yaris is absent from the European market, and will surely remain so for the upcoming 3rd-generation. In fact, a 4-door sedan Yaris per se only exists in the Americas and Oceania (Australia and New Zealand). Throughout Asia, it is considered a separate model line from the Yaris, known as Belta in Japan and Vios in Southeast Asia, including China. The debut of the next-generation version should occur shortly, no later than at some point in early-to-mid 2011. Given the abundance of B-segment 4-door sedans sold in North America, such as Ford Fiesta, Chevrolet Aveo Sonic, Kia Rio and Hyundai Accent, the new Yaris sedan should certainly make its way here.

Might the new Yaris for North America be notably larger than Japan and Europe’s version?

Early last month, an article from the United Kingdom’s Autocar contained several predictions on the new Yaris’ future, some of them dubious and puzzling, such as a passage stating that “The forthcoming Yaris is likely to mark a split in small-car policy between Europe and the US. Toyota North America is said to have been lobbying for the car to move up in size, but this has been resisted. Instead, the US arm will unveil its own concept at January’s Detroit motor show, pointing towards a slightly larger B-segment model.” Color us skeptical for a couple of reasons. For one, Toyota has subsequently revealed that its planned 2011 Detroit Auto Show debuts revolve around the expanding Prius family. Also, while the larger-for-North America sizing plan is quite common for mid-sized/D-segment cars (Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, Mazda6 and Mitsubishi Galant all are or have been larger here than in Japan and Europe), it has rarely if ever been done in the smaller, less profitable B-segment. And if any vehicles in the latter size class are longer in North America than in other markets (such as the current Yaris hatchback’s 3785 mm/ 149″ length outside North America versus its 3825 mm/150.6″ here, or the Honda Fit’s 3900 mm/153.5″ length outside North America versus its 4105 mm/161.6″ here), it’s due to our more stringent crash safety and bumper impact laws.

Also notable is Autocar‘s claim that “a small concept pointing to the European version of the car is due at next spring’s Geneva motor show”. Would this make sense, given that the world has already seen the Japanese version?

So what’s this Hecho en México business?

It is no secret that the current strong yen/weak U.S. dollar relation has strongly hit the profitability of Japan’s automakers, not just Toyota. Unlike previous times when this has occurred, the Japanese government has not intervened to weaken its currency in order to make the country’s exports more competitive. And, the smaller and less profitable the vehicle, the less sense it makes to build it in Japan. Already, Nissan has taken the historical decision to stop building its smallest model (rebadged kei-cars excepted), the Micra in Japan altogether. Indeed, “JDM” Nissan Micras will be built in Thailand, with India, China and Mexico being the alternate sources for this model. Also, numerous press reports have stated that Toyota is considering a broadly similar move with the Corolla, discontinuing its export from Japanese plants. If this turns out to be the case, wouldn’t a similar move make sense for the even smaller and likely less profitable Vitz/Yaris?

Adding to the “where there’s smoke, there’s fire” aura of this speculation, an Asahi via Reuters story from mid-October claims that “Toyota… is considering building its second car plant in Mexico to boost local output due to the yen’s strength…Toyota, which makes pickup trucks (the Tacoma) mainly for the U.S. market in Mexico, plans to produce compact cars for North America at the new factory from around 2013…The paper also said Toyota will respond to growing demand for low-cost compact cars in Mexico with the new plant.” Sure, the low-cost compact in question could be yet another North American site (after Ontario, Canada and the upcoming Mississippi site in the U.S.) for Corolla, but, with the lowest labor costs in North America, Mexico would be a natural venue for Yaris production, thus joining the Ford Fiesta, Nissan Versa and Sentra, Volkswagen Jetta, the upcoming Chevrolet Spark and Fiat 500 and, possibly, the Mazda2 and/or Mazda3 as compact and sub-compact models bearing the Hecho en México imprint.

Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:18 PM   #193
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I'd keep my old '08 and go for a FIAT 500...

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:16 PM   #194
roxy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
call me if (i mean when) you need a ride home from the mechanic.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:14 PM   #195
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
call me if (i mean when) you need a ride home from the mechanic.
I know, I know!
But it IS a real neat looking ride with some cool options.
I think they will be built in Mexico, NOT Italy....

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:07 PM   #196
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
I like the new Fiat 500 as well. Looks like a neat car. I'm glad they are bringing it here. Hope its a successful car.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:39 PM   #197
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
Will there be a 500 Abarth SS? Would love one!
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:58 PM   #198
roxy1

Quote:
I know, I know!
But it IS a real neat looking ride with some cool options.
I think they will be built in Mexico, NOT Italy....
no doubt. i like the looks better than the mini id be lying if i said i wasnt going to test drive one when they hit lots.