Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #1963
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Yes to both. :)

It amazes me sometimes how far we come and yet how circular things are. I'm hearing that the tweeters aimed slightly into the glass are just a big winner for me. The issue I was having on the all pillar setup was left side width. With the mid below in the kick I have more width on that left side.

I'll have I e-mail you the camera shots of the placement where it sounded the best for me.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:36 AM   #1964
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Yes to both. :)

It amazes me sometimes how far we come and yet how circular things are. I'm hearing that the tweeters aimed slightly into the glass are just a big winner for me. The issue I was having on the all pillar setup was left side width. With the mid below in the kick I have more width on that left side.

I'll have I e-mail you the camera shots of the placement where it sounded the best for me.

Yes! I'v been there! with tweeters it's hard with all the reflection either avoid them or play with them, my tweeters are kind of aiming towards the windshield.

For the Mid down on the left, I agree. Gives me more width that the a-pillar install and that's why I did the extra mile cutting the metal to push it as much as possible physically it's my speaker that sits farther to the left, both mids are off-axis but the left one has a slightly angle so if you see them from the pilots position they look almost to the same angle towards the listener.

My theory is that this way both drivers would give me the same off-axis response. I may be far away from a pro-install, but man sounds good!

BTW... I missed Why? for a "show off" we re-schedule for next week. That gives me time to start tuning each side individually like I stated a few posts above. Wish me luck. Will be waiting for that email, I'm curious to see how you end up aiming your mids and tweets now.

D.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #1965
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

One of the challenges now is to find out what kind of plastic is used to make the a-pillars. I can't find an identifying mark on the back of either of my pillar sets...

Anyone have an idea? I'm hoping it's ABS.

This will help me figure out what I can use to meld plastic to plastic with...to make a new a-pillar entirely out of plastic.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #1966
packetrace

Drives: Yaris Sedan 2009
Someone already told me it was abs plastic...
Exterior:RTX scorpion painted GOLD, side and rear visor, oem spoiler, MI mesh grill, Hella supertone horn, RS badge, Vios badge, CF pillar, Led mirror cover, fog light HID 3000k, Projector retrofit HID 8000K
Performance :MI CrankPulley, Tein springs, UR and TRD bar, TURBO IN PROGRESS
Audio : Pionner DEH-80PRS, HAT L1V2, PowerBass 1100.5X 5 channel amp
packetrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #1967
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

If this is true then I'm set! I just became very excited. This means I already have experience with "cold molding" this type of plastic. Recall my conversion of the 2 DIN bezel into a 1 DIN for the P-01? *rubbing hands together*

This is very good!

...whoops...

I don't think I can stand up now! :P
Old 04-28-2012, 02:36 PM   #1968
packetrace

Drives: Yaris Sedan 2009
But verify to be sure but I remember someone told me this..:)
Exterior:RTX scorpion painted GOLD, side and rear visor, oem spoiler, MI mesh grill, Hella supertone horn, RS badge, Vios badge, CF pillar, Led mirror cover, fog light HID 3000k, Projector retrofit HID 8000K
Performance :MI CrankPulley, Tein springs, UR and TRD bar, TURBO IN PROGRESS
Audio : Pionner DEH-80PRS, HAT L1V2, PowerBass 1100.5X 5 channel amp
packetrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #1969
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

To update...I tore up the a-pillars:

I know...it's rough looking...but it'll get there. It's all ABS so that means I can fill, shape, and mold with more ABS. Notice the ABS tube? It's already a perfect radius. You can presume what I'll be doing with that.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:57 PM   #1970
derickveliz2

Wow! that's nice, I can see how you are using the reflections of the windshield in your favor... that's what I call when you work with your enemy instead of fight it! (Spanish translation)

D.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:27 AM   #1971
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

It came down to the center image. I was getting some funky phasing issues being on axis. I spent about 6 hours moving each set of speakers around, muting all the others, and searching for the center image. I found it. It turns out to be along the same aiming I had in my first iteration last year.

That's why I mentioned it coming full circle. The biggest difference is in the separation of the mids and tweeters. Still, even in the mids I have similar aiming as when they were in the pillars.

Some things are simply strange to me. I need to get this rocking. I have a USACi show on the 27th of May and on the 3rd of June. Then it's planning for a show at Streamline later in the year. D, I want to send you my ID8 in the enclosure I made for my wife's truck. I'm telling you, you'd LOVE the response from this little thing. This little thing is accurate...and downfiring?! It loads off the floor of the car and feels like you've got bass shakers in your seat without ANY slop whatsoever.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:34 AM   #1972
derickveliz2

Thumbs up

Quote:
D, I want to send you my ID8 in the enclosure I made for my wife's truck. I'm telling you, you'd LOVE the response from this little thing. This little thing is accurate...and downfiring?! It loads off the floor of the car and feels like you've got bass shakers in your seat without ANY slop whatsoever.
I'm sure the i6sw will give your ID8 some thing to talk about!

I just can't believe it's just a 6.5 inch woofer what I have.

D.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:31 AM   #1973
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
It came down to the center image. I was getting some funky phasing issues being on axis. I spent about 6 hours moving each set of speakers around, muting all the others, and searching for the center image. I found it. It turns out to be along the same aiming I had in my first iteration last year.
Good to know, tweet install is next up for my car... Today I just finished getting rid of my dash rattle. Its amazing how much of a difference .5sq ft of ensolite foam + .5sq ft of mat, + about 20" of electrical tape can do. It actually wasn't that hard getting dash off, once I realized I forgot the two bolts securing the airbag.

I know one thing, my tweet install is going to be much simplier than yours, and also look way more ghetto... but thats ok.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #1974
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

The dash pad is relatively easy to remove.

It's good seeing you here again! How's life treating you?

As for how things look, as you noticed by the pictures, I've been messing with bonding ABS. Mine most certainly look terrible now. But given a couple sessions at the shop, these pillars will turn out beautifully.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #1975
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
ooh, didn't realize the 16sw was a 6.5. That could work for me.

I bet you could even kick my butt so I installed it myself. I used to go to school in N Dartmouth, let me know.
Why? would you like to meet for lunch tomorrow?

D.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #1976
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
Taln nice to see you post man ! Long time no see.

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #1977
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by _S7V7N_ View Post
Taln nice to see you post man ! Long time no see.
That's true Taln, where have you been! (O:

D.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:46 PM   #1978
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
That's true Taln, where have you been! (O:

D.
work 4 tens, take care of the kid on the 5th day while mom is at work, and I generally have trouble moderating my hobbies, so for the sake of my family, i cut back on 97% of my computer usage.

The family is out of town until saturday though, so thats why i started doing install work again, and have time to post on here.

Good news tho.... Got a new laptop, and now my box building software is up and working again, so I can model sub boxes again.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:09 AM   #1979
derickveliz2

Exclamation

I did go back to the area under the wipers..., and found out that water drainage is working ok, but the heat from the headers it's making the MLV to change shape... and a couple pieces of Mat came off, I'm assuming the change in temperatures makes the adhesion loose strength.

Ready to add a layer of "heat barrier"

Overlapping this material to get extra layers

MLV behind wipers mechanism... What a difference! specially on rainy days. LOL

Over exposed picture showing air intake on the left side "that little triangle there"

D.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:20 AM   #1980
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
Thanks! I got it.

now lets get to learn and work... what do you think about these:

"When you are satisfied with the tonality of the system, it is time to start adjusting the left and right channels separately. These adjustments should not affect the tonality, but improve on the imaging and soundstaging. Using the Autosound 2000 Test CD 102 or 103 “My Disk” listen to the individual frequency pink noise tracks. (Test CD103 has the tracks arranged in an easier configuration.) Each frequency band should sound like it is coming from the center of the soundstage. If one band is off to one side, then use each band’s left and right eq controls as a balance control. This is very similar to the head unit’s balance control, only now you are balancing each frequency band by itself. For example if 200 Hz seems to be shifted to the left of center, lower the left 200 Hz band and raise the right 200 Hz band one dB at a time until the band is centered. If a frequency is shifted to the right, lower the band’s right channel and raise the left channel in small amounts." from a DIYMA member.

and this one....

"I must say that all I did was burn a CD that contained 0db tones that matched each one of the 31 bands on my EQ. Then I sat in my car for about 10 minutes and played each tone starting low and going up high. I kept my head perfectly still in the position I would normally drive down the road in.

Then I played each tone and adjusted the R and L EQ (graphic) and just played with cutting the R and then boosting the L and vice versa until I felt the sound was centered. Some bands needed up to +/- 3db and others needed no adjustment at all from what I could hear. And some bands I couldn't honestly resolve.

When I was done, I looked at my EQ and it was a MESS! LOL. Flipping back and forth between L and R yielded no pattern or symmetry at all. I thought, no possible way is this going to sound good. So I put in my Audiophile Female Vocal CD and cranked it up.

WELL SLAP MY A... AND CALL ME CHARLIE!! If Rebecca Pidgeon was 3 feet away from me she was a mile! It honestly felt like I had moved back in my seat, but my head had stayed in the same place the whole time. I estimate my stage moved 3" up and about 1 foot away...practially eliminating the windshield all together. I thought my stage was good before, but I damn near greased my shorts.

And the focus! Oh the focus...like I've never heard. Like scary real! Apparently sound recordings are done in actuall rooms, because it sounds like the singer is contained in a space, rather than just singing into a microphone"
... from another DIYMA member even though he has been banned

D.

OK, I did it! (first attempt)

I couldn't test it with normal volume because I was in the garage while the rest of the family was sleeping, so tomorrow I'll try it "out loud"

But from what I could hear at very low volume is... WOW!

I started with my EQ "Flat" and work my way around every tone, some where to the right others to the left and others right on center. My EQ graph end up like crazi!!! I'll get pictures tomorrow (well later today).

Lets see what Why? thinks about it. We are meeting for lunch, but I think he is only interested in the little i6SW and not in front stage or SQ.

Back to tuning Left and right EQ I must say... there is so much to learn out there. And amazes me every time I get positive results.

D.