Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-07-2010, 09:48 AM   #253
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerge View Post
Just seeing all the work you have done tires me!
I'm exhausted too, last night I went straight to bed... but "When The Going Gets Tough The Tough Get Going"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35YivWEs3zw

The good things is that every time I treat a section the results just get better and better.

But it's hard with 50-60 hrs of work per week, a house to take care and the most important a Family to LOVE.

I took a bunch of pictures to create this panorama of my house as I was leaving to work this morning: (may 7, 2010)

And here we are... me and my family. (Natalia will be born on July 8th) I have to finish this project before that!

Old 05-07-2010, 12:06 PM   #254
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
good pictures... i like the house, add 3 acres out back with a tiny barn for horses, and my Fiancee would force me to make you an offer... hehe.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:14 PM   #255
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
Great looking family! I like your home and surrounding property. It looks very peaceful.
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:24 PM   #256
Emerge
On a trek to upgrade...

Drives: 2003 Echo Coupe
I would love to do this to my car, or, better yet, have this done to my car. But, I can't imagine myself doing this. It looks so damn tedious.
Emerge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #257
derickveliz2

Smile

Thanks talnlnky and Herb. There is a horse farm about 1 mile south from home (cows, ponies, chicken, skunks, BEARS, moose, deer, etc, etc) and a lake down the hill around the block...

[that is my son, playing in the sand...]

Yes it's very peaceful! guess who is the one going to be LOUD! just kidding I don't drive with the music at MAX. well... some times! jeje

Emerge, this is a great experience, I would do it again and again, just to enjoy a quiet ride, waiting for a good stereo system to massage my ears, body and soul.

On the other hand... Yes there is a lot of WORK

Old 05-07-2010, 04:46 PM   #258
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Derick, because of your install i'm giving the MLV a second thought. How much of a help do you really think the MLV is? I know the MLV stands for Mass loaded vinyl, does it feel heavy, like there actually is some mass to it?

In my install I basically have 2 layers of raammat on the floors, and then on the side panels & wheel wells. Then I have a layer of ensolite foam (1/8" thick). I have yet to do the front doors, and barely touched the firewall. I plan on picking up more mat for the doors & firewall, some CLD tiles for the doors (behind the speakers)... but am really considering the MLV too. I wouldn't want to drop the money, or re-gut my car to do the entire car in MLV, but I could justify doing my doors, firewall, and driver/front passenger foot area with it.

any advice. I'm all about bang for the buck, but would like a little more road noise eliminated. Would the MLV give me much of a increase in sound reduction do you think?
Old 05-07-2010, 05:02 PM   #259
centrysis

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
Derick, because of your install i'm giving the MLV a second thought. How much of a help do you really think the MLV is? I know the MLV stands for Mass loaded vinyl, does it feel heavy, like there actually is some mass to it?

In my install I basically have 2 layers of raammat on the floors, and then on the side panels & wheel wells. Then I have a layer of ensolite foam (1/8" thick). I have yet to do the front doors, and barely touched the firewall. I plan on picking up more mat for the doors & firewall, some CLD tiles for the doors (behind the speakers)... but am really considering the MLV too. I wouldn't want to drop the money, or re-gut my car to do the entire car in MLV, but I could justify doing my doors, firewall, and driver/front passenger foot area with it.
wow. Thats exactly where I'm at on my car.
centrysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:17 PM   #260
derickveliz2

Thumbs up

Quote:

any advice. I'm all about bang for the buck, but would like a little more road noise eliminated. Would the MLV give me much of a increase in sound reduction do you think?
For a quiet ride MLV is your best friend, it's heavy (1/8" thick- 1sf = 1 pound ) [I did put it on the scale and yes it's heavy] It's a really good way to block the noise.

I did a little experiment on the left front wheel well... I put almost 3 layers of MAT and called done! I drove for 3 days like this then I put the MLV on top! WOW! the noise was gone!

I've been searching around and I see all kids of cars go with MLV to make their cars less noisy, (BMW, AUDI, other TOYOTAS and many more) MLV may not be as good as 3 or 4 layer of MATT when the GOAL is SPL, but for a quiet drive blocking external noise in the FIREWALL, DOORS and FLOORS is really GOOD

In architecture/construction we use it a lot, when using Lead is not possible to make sound barriers.

Using all 3 layers (1.-MAT or CLD Tiles = control resonances, 2.- CCF = Absorb high frequency noise and cushion rattles, 3.- MLV=Sound Barrier) makes this system work really good.

It's like using the right tool for the job

MY 2 cts.
if I had to do it again, I would do it exactly the same way!

Old 05-07-2010, 05:23 PM   #261
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
I was describing to my wife all the different layers of sound deadening material you're doing and she said it sounds like you're creating a mobil sensory deprivation chamber!
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:24 PM   #262
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
For a quiet ride MLV is your best friend, it's heavy (1/8" thick- 1sf = 1 pound ) [I did put it on the scale and yes it's heavy] It's a really good way to block the noise.

I did a little experiment on the left front wheel well... I put almost 3 layers of MAT and called done! I drove for 3 days like this then I put the MLV on top! WOW! the noise was gone!

I've been searching around and I see all kids of cars go with MLV to make their cars less noisy, (BMW, AUDI, other TOYOTAS and many more) MLV may not be as good as 3 or 4 layer of MATT when the GOAL is SPL, but for a quiet drive blocking external noise in the FIREWALL, DOORS and FLOORS is really GOOD

In architecture/construction we use it a lot, when using Lead is not possible to make sound barriers.

Using all 3 layers (1.-MAT or CLD Tiles = control resonances, 2.- CCF = Absorb high frequency noise and cushion rattles, 3.- MLV=Sound Barrier) makes this system work really good.

It's like using the right tool for the job

MY 2 cts.
if I had to do it again, I would do it exactly the same way!

Ok... Looks like i'll be buying some MLV in the future. Thanks.
40sq ft of MLV, bout 4-6 CLD's, and another 40-60sq ft of mat and I should be done

EDIT: I'm actually contemplating foregoing any mat on the firewall, and just doing MLV alone.
40sq ft of MLV Then around 25sq ft of mat, and 4 CLD's. that would really cut my costs. I'd be down to around $150, before I was over $200.

Last edited by talnlnky; 05-07-2010 at 05:49 PM.
talnlnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:15 AM   #263
derickveliz2

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
I was describing to my wife all the different layers of sound deadening material you're doing and she said it sounds like you're creating a mobil sensory deprivation chamber!
I wish! but sounds COOL ..............

and Talking about layers I just added one MORE!

Radiant Barrier

I'm putting this along the center channel and other areas after applying CLD Tiles and before CCF adn MLV, I've driving with no center console, bare metal and I can tell it gets HOT! the other day I had a Hershey chocolate about 4 inches above, and it melted!

I guess this heat going inside the cabin it's good in winter, but not good in summer, any way one more barrier to make the noisy work harder!

Quote:
I'm actually contemplating foregoing any mat on the firewall, and just doing MLV alone.
40sq ft of MLV Then around 25sq ft of mat, and 4 CLD's. that would really cut my costs. I'd be down to around $150, before I was over $200.
Yeah! Sounds like a plan!

Old 05-08-2010, 01:25 AM   #264
derickveliz2

Smile

On my way back home from work I stopped at the Toyota dealer and look what they had for me... one just like this one!

Old 05-09-2010, 12:17 AM   #265
derickveliz2

Quote:
Ok... Looks like i'll be buying some MLV in the future. Thanks.
40sq ft of MLV, bout 4-6 CLD's, and another 40-60sq ft of mat and I should be done

EDIT: I'm actually contemplating foregoing any mat on the firewall, and just doing MLV alone.
One more thing about CLD Tiles... they only work if you apply them to bare metal in the middle of a flat area.

D.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:17 PM   #266
Emerge
On a trek to upgrade...

It's the hard work that scares me. I know I'll be very motivated to start, but finishing the project is a concern. I feel that this disdain for hard work is something impeding my generation. I wish I wasn't spoiled so much as a child.

Question:

If the material is that heavy do you foresee MPG being affected adversely?
Old 05-09-2010, 11:02 PM   #267
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
One more thing about CLD Tiles... they only work if you apply them to bare metal in the middle of a flat area.

D.
yeah, thats the plan, on the door to help keep speaker vibrations down. I'll have either an 8" midbass that throws 12mm one way, or a 6.5" midbass that goes 13mm one way. Either way there will be a lot of pressure in my doors.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:05 PM   #268
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
It's the hard work that scares me. I know I'll be very motivated to start, but finishing the project is a concern. I feel that this disdain for hard work is something impeding my generation. I wish I wasn't spoiled so much as a child.

Question:

A sub box, Sub & Amp weigh more than the sound deadening does... Currently I think I have like 35lbs of deadener... by the time i'm done i'll be looking at around 60lbs.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:19 PM   #269
derickveliz2

Talking

Quote:
Question:

I may end up with more than 90 pounds from Deadening, it's like carrying that model all the time in your car.

So far on Friday I filled up with 9 gallons and exactly 400 miles, aka 44.44 MPG

Not bad!

Old 05-10-2010, 12:56 AM   #270
Emerge
On a trek to upgrade...

Quote:
I may end up with more than 90 pounds from Deadening, it's like carrying that model all the time in your car.

So far on Friday I filled up with 9 gallons and exactly 400 miles, aka 44.44 MPG

Not bad!

I like the sound of 44 MPG!

Quote:
A sub box, Sub & Amp weigh more than the sound deadening does... Currently I think I have like 35lbs of deadener... by the time i'm done i'll be looking at around 60lbs.
Good point. I didn't even think about that.