Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-02-2010, 08:15 PM   #307
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp

Last edited by sqcomp; 12-13-2010 at 12:32 AM.
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:01 PM   #308
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Well my mains are the RF3 orignal series, which use a traxtic horn and two 8" ceramic coated driver. They were considered entry into the reference series but still sound fantastic. Bi-wired to the reciever. I have those and appropriate rears and center and dont remember which model sub. 12" with 350 watts I believe. rocks good with the Denon reciever. Have another set of the rf3's upstairs with a smaller denon to push them. Getting ready to move the theater upstairs where the flat panel and blue ray are. Gotta run wiring up through the walls and across the ceiling to the other side first for the surrounds. pain in the butt, but it makes movies sooo much more fun! Kinda like having great tunes in the car,huh!?
Back on subject.....
Old 09-03-2010, 09:35 PM   #309
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
AM,
I really wish you could see how big my smile is right now.
<snip>
Again, I SO wish I could have you hear the mids perform, you'd totally understand where and why I'm doing what I'm doing.

Got ya. You explained it perfectly.

I have no doubt those L4's are amazing.

So how much RMS power are you running to those L4's?
( and what is their official sensitivity rating? )

Just curious if they are efficient, or power-hungry.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:23 AM   #310
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:36 AM   #311
sickpuppy1

Hey SQcomp, do you know anything about Sound Ordinance amps they sell at Crutchfeild? I am gonna put my old Pioneer DEH-P6700MP in the Yaris for a while till I make up my mind on a newer HU.(And save up money)
I am not gonna go for the quality of build that you are,lol, not even close, but I have driven that little radio hard and I know the amp in it is getting tired. So I am gonna get a four channel amp for it on a budget. Then change speakers( on a budget too :-( and then a newer HU . The downside to doing this is, the 6700 only has 2 sets of rca out on back and one of them is called "non fading" with a (sub) next to it. So I'm wondering if I'll have to use the actual speaker out puts from the radios amp for amp inputs......Because on the radio, only the front speakers have an RCA out.
I'd probably be better waiting for a new HU 1st huh?LOL, I think I'm talking my self into a new direction here,lol
But regardless, do you have an opinion on Sound Ordinance amps for the budget minded ? Or something else would be better for a 4 channel under 200?
Old 09-04-2010, 11:57 AM   #312
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:40 PM   #313
sickpuppy1

Good point, I'll do that first. And FYI, I'm right outside of Kansas City. So I have a bunch of local shops. Some GOOD ones too. Guess I just assumed a better price on-line. which isnt always the case, but even so, the is alot to be said for supporting brick and mortar shop first as you stated.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:09 PM   #314
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent

Crutchfield is expensive. They used to have good prices, but not anymore.
Sometimes they put stuff on clearance, and then you get a good deal.
Otherwise, expect to pay retail.

I started buying stuff from Sonicelectronix.com

WAY better prices, great selection, FAST shipping, and in most cases, FREE shipping. No TAX either.

And I had to send something back one time, because I didn't like it.
The guy on the phone was cool, no problems, got an RMA, and back it went.
New item arrived quickly, and I am totally happy.

I sent back a Clarion HU because it sucked, and exchanged it for a Pioneer HU which I LOVE.

I do my own installs, and I have lots of tools and a place to work, so I don't need some local "shop" to help me with anything.
I prefer to do my own work, that way I know some shop hack didn't cut corners on my install just so he could hurry up and go to lunch with his girlfriend or whatever.
People typically do NOT do as nice a job if it is not for "them", or they are not making the "big bucks" on it.
Installers are typically way underpaid for what they do. At least out here they are. Some people want to do a great job as a matter of personal pride. Maybe they want to establish a good reputation for themselves, so one day they can open their own shop. But most of the time, people are overworked, underpaid, and they just get burned-out after awhile. Then they stop caring, and start doing half-a$$ work just to pass the time.

SPEED is most important to shop installs. Gotta get that job done QUICK. Time is money. You can't spend 3 hours installing a deck. 30 minutes tops! Whip that harness together, slap that mounting kit in there, shove them wires back there, and get that bezel popped back on, the customer is waiting!

The only time I ever seen a shop take time on an install, is when a customer comes into the shop and says, "I want a killer system. I have $3,000 to spend."
The shop says, "Sweet! No problem! Leave your car with us for about 2 weeks, and when you come pick it up, you will be impressed!"
Customer says, "okay, here's the keys. Call me when you get it done."

Shop's LOVE that kind of customer.
They can put $1,500 worth of equipment in that car, pocket the rest, cook the invoice up to make it look BIG, and they can take their time with the job, doing lots of smaller jobs in-between working on the big one.

I hate to play the Devils Advocate, but I been around local shops too, and I really don't like the games they play. I have no need for that kinda crap.
I want GOOD gear, at a discount price, and I will do my own install so I know it is done RIGHT the first time. I will take my time on my own install. I will not rush anything. If I have a problem, I can research stuff on the internet, or call the place I bought the gear from. On-line discount stereo stores have people you can talk to if you have a problem. And the reputable ones will not give you a hassle about exchanging items. They have a reputation they need to keep-up too. If they leave people hanging high and dry, with no support after the sale, word will spread and they won't be in business very long.

SqComp has a good shop he deals with, and he has had great experiences with them. Nothing wrong with that. I have had just the opposite. I have had bad experiences with local shops, and GOOD experiences with on-line discount stores.

My only advice to anyone is: Check out your local shops, see what they have to offer, check prices, and then go online and see what the more reputable online places have to offer. Compare, and then decide what is best for YOUR needs. You might need to have help with your install. Maybe you need to get the best prices on stuff, because money is tight.
The point is, explore all your options. Don't trust the first place you go to. Do your research.

Nobody wants to get screwed, so it pays to do your homework so you can be prepared.
Bouncing things off people on the forums is a great source of info too!
That's why I hang out on these forums.

Lots of really smart folks on here. The more research you do, the better prepared you will be.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:21 PM   #315
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Last edited by sqcomp; 12-13-2010 at 12:33 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:05 PM   #316
sickpuppy1

I have the garage and all the tools, electric and air to do whatever needs to be done, I have no problem there........just no money,lol..... Whats that they say...Champagne taste and a beer budget!
Old 09-05-2010, 01:43 AM   #317
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent

I should probably clarify that I do not have the big shop equipment to do custom box building and stuff like that.
I do not have a table-saw, a drill-press, or anything like that.

I have lots of hand tools, cordless drills, electric sander, a Dremel tool, electrical testers, etc.
( Pretty much all you would need to do a basic install. )

But if I was to try and do a special custom job like SqComp is doing, I would certainly want to have access to the bigger shop tools.

I have made subwoofer boxes in the past, but honestly, I can buy a new box cheaper than I can make one now.
( and I don't have to spend hours of my time fabbing it up )

The downside is of course: you get a generic box.

And there are times when you have to bite-the-bullet and make your own box, because you can't find a decent pre-fab that fits your application correctly.

It is nice to have access to a local pro stereo shop, no doubt about it!
For those of us who do not, we just do the best we can.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:43 PM   #318
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Last edited by sqcomp; 12-13-2010 at 12:33 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:52 PM   #319
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Mantis View Post
Yup, I had a feeling about that.

I do love 4-way systems, although I have heard plenty of 3-way systems that sound great too.

Derick, when are you gonna FINISH your system ???

Finish? finish what? I'm going 50 mph slower that sqcomp, and looks like the never ending story!

I think my problem is that I have every thing working but not properly installed, Lows in the doors, sub in the trunk (a 10" bazooka tube temporarily installed) and yes I have my mids and tweeters on the dashboard and with towels I hold them and tested every aiming position/direction available.

Pretty much I have everything where I like it, and sounds AMAZING!

But yes I should keep working on the real/final installation.

If I could have 36 hour days...

D.
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:08 AM   #320
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Last edited by sqcomp; 12-13-2010 at 12:34 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:49 AM   #321
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
I think my problem is that I have every thing working but not properly installed, Lows in the doors, sub in the trunk (a 10" bazooka tube temporarily installed) and yes I have my mids and tweeters on the dashboard and with towels I hold them and tested every aiming position/direction available.
Pretty much I have everything where I like it, and sounds AMAZING!
But yes I should keep working on the real/final installation.
If I could have 36 hour days...
So you are trying to do a 4-way system?
What amps are you running for all this?

Ditch that Bachuka sub and get yourself a real one!

Didn't you say you just lost your job ???
Now you got lotsa time to finish your install!

Old 09-07-2010, 01:52 AM   #322
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Mantis View Post
So you are trying to do a 4-way system?
What amps are you running for all this?

Ditch that Bachuka sub and get yourself a real one!

Didn't you say you just lost your job ???
Now you got lotsa time to finish your install!

Yes I'm running a 4 way system with a Pioneer HU P-99

I have 3 Pioneer amps:

1. 300 watts x 1 for sub
2. 65 watts x 4 for mids and highs
3. 75 watts x 2 for lows

The Bachuka it's for my other car (corolla) I'm going to use 3 x 10" Solo-Barics. But because my rear suspension was so soft and my tires rubbing, I was using the Bachuka, believe it or not it doesn't sound like a Bachuca! it sounds pretty good, it must be the P-99's magic!

Yes I did get layoff a couple weeks ago, and I though I was going to have more time, but it's the other way. Besides my family it's very happy to have me at home more than just weekends. I'm working part time with a friend of mine (a civil engineer) learning new stuff and drawing plans, but he lives 62 miles away from home! Long commute. Lots of time to hear music!

D.
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:56 AM   #323
FcukThis

Drives: yaris
Can't wait to see the update pics sqcomp!!

----
Towards the OT discussion on buying equipment.
I've always found online prices to be significantly cheaper than local dealers, period.
All the local shops i've been to.. treat me like crap. I get the usual "What.. In a yaris?"
People never take me seriously either, because i'm 18. I gave up on it.

I got all of my gear at discount.. In fact i bought the majority off eBay when the 30% cashback event was taking place. Other deals were simply found through forums.. You'll be amazed at how crazy some of these bargains are. Here's a rough idea of what i paid in the end.

• re audio 6.5 xxx component -- 150
• eclipse mk2 cd7200 -- 280
• dls a3 -- 200
• jl 300/2 black-- 150

Subwoofer selection has swapped around drastically for me.
• Pair of 8w7's... bought for 300, sold for 420. (Used ebay cashback, sold it locally)
• Pair of Diyma R12's...Bought for 150. Sold one.
• Stereo integrity v4... won it from diyma-review giveaways.. (50$ shipping)

I haven't had a single problem with the quality of my gear, thus far. Everything was purchased brand new and has worked flawlessly.. The only downside was the time spent searching for bargains. Took me about 2 months.. If you want manufacturer support however, you'll be out of luck.

My advice... Just check the classified sections found at audio forums daily.

As for shop tools...You really don't need them.
The essentials : Jigsaw, router, drill, and space-
FcukThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:18 PM   #324
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Last edited by sqcomp; 12-13-2010 at 12:34 AM.