Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-22-2006, 02:22 PM   #307
jedi1701

Drives: Yaris 2 LB
On my 5 speed 2 door LB I am getting (60 % highway 40 % city) 38 miles to the gal. only have about 400 miles on the car so far. Much better than I thoght I would get.
jedi1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 02:36 PM   #308
JaiTomato

Drives: 07 sedan-flint mica, 96VFR750
I just realized that my yaris is getting better mileage than my bike. 44 mpg to 38 mpg

Last edited by JaiTomato; 05-22-2006 at 08:49 PM.
JaiTomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 02:45 PM   #309
Yaris

Drives: 2010 LB Meteor Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by foober
I have my tires at 35 psi. I was thinking of putting 37 psi in them. I've heard that can help some.
FWIW, I avoid Sunoco gas because of the Ethanol content which contains less energy than 100% gas and always use Shell which is now fully Top Tier (loaded with detergents) to help keep those dang carbon deposits away.
Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 05:15 PM   #310
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
From what I have been told, all gas is going to contain ethanol sooner rather than later.

It seems that all the stations around me are putting in ethanol, and one of the employees at one of them mentioned it was a fed thing, not a state thing.

I don't drive enough, lol. My car has about 300 miles on it still.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:38 PM   #311
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
I've got over a 1,000 miles on my yaris now. And just filled it up again today. Getting 40 miles to the gallon now. I keep pinching myself that its doing so well. I'm half highway and half city and I'm not driving like an old lady.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 06:58 PM   #312
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Got only 37-38 km out of the 6th fuel gauge bar. Must have been my worst bar this far. Reasons? Lots of city and up/down hill driving, mostly rather short trips, and the A/C was on most of the time.
Just hope it is not going to adversely affect the overall fuel economy numbers of the whole tank too much. Not looking good anyway because I will probably not be hitting any highway for the rest of the tank.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:45 PM   #313
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Drives: Prius, Silver Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by swng
Got only 37-38 km out of the 6th fuel gauge bar. Must have been my worst bar this far. Reasons? Lots of city and up/down hill driving, mostly rather short trips, and the A/C was on most of the time.
Just hope it is not going to adversely affect the overall fuel economy numbers of the whole tank too much. Not looking good anyway because I will probably not be hitting any highway for the rest of the tank.
The "fuel gauge bars" mean absolutely nothing. Ignore them.
Idjiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 08:00 PM   #314
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Thanks a lot. I know they are not very accurate. I just use them as some kind of rough reference. There are certainly better ways to gauge the car's fuel economy, especially for the long term.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 08:08 PM   #315
fearturtle44

Drives: S Flint Mica
It will be YEARS before ethanol because a reality in majority of cities and towns in the US. People should NOT put any substantial content of ethanol in their current engines. Engines have to be built/configured for a true subtantial ethanol % content.

Personally, I hope ethanol does come sooner but seeing that we (U.S.) did almost nothing for last 30 years (since last gas crunch), I had little faith.

Kevin
fearturtle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:32 AM   #316
ricko

Drives: Copper-Orange Yaris RS
My experience is that fuel gauges are never very accurate. The one in my Yaris is very misleading. It seems safer to use the tripmeter.
ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:00 AM   #317
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

Drives: Yaris 5Dr LE White
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickNickNick
Check your tire pressure...make sure you're running at EXACTLY 2.2BAR/32PSI...makes a huge difference on my car...I had my tire pressure around the 29-30PSI mark, and lost about 10mpg on the highway. I'm sure it'd have been even worse in the city.
Ok.... I will try this and see if it makes any different! Sure hope it does!
Old 05-23-2006, 10:03 AM   #318
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearturtle44
It will be YEARS before ethanol because a reality in majority of cities and towns in the US. People should NOT put any substantial content of ethanol in their current engines. Engines have to be built/configured for a true subtantial ethanol % content.

Personally, I hope ethanol does come sooner but seeing that we (U.S.) did almost nothing for last 30 years (since last gas crunch), I had little faith.

Kevin
Ethanol is a bad thing. A very bad thing. I still haven't found a station near me that hasn't converted to e10. Sad. Ethanol makes gas mileage worse by at least 10%, prolly more, and yet the price reduction is nowhere near 10% of the prices of real gas.

So you and I end up losing money by buying e10 or e15 gas.

I can't seem to find any fed or state law that has been past, so I think the guy was lying to me.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:11 AM   #319
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

*Another update thru the long weekend, I actually drove for a lil trip.
402 km / 30.4 Litre
Mostly highway, 80/20 hwy/city
The number still shows 7.56.
When is this nightmare going to end! I am driving constantly at 130km/h in the hwy and hardly going over 3000 rpm in city.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by why?
It is not necessarily driving like a maniac that can hurt fuel economy.

What are the roads like where you drive?

Do you use the AC a ton?

Do you carry a lot of extra gear?

And of course there is always the chance that something might actually be wrong from the factory.
Let's see...
The road is not too bad, for those of us who have drive around richmond hill knows that it's not the best, but it doesn't nearly have as much pot hole than other cities around GTA.

I am cutting down the A/C since the tank before for last, but it doesn't seems to help as much as I would like it to be.

extra gear? not really, the heaviest thing is me. my gf weight probably half or 2/3 weigh than me and my chihuahua, yeah, he's only 6.9 pounds.

I am thinking I will try check the tire pressure as NickNickNick mentioned, and one step at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricko
Ziv ...... you know "Why" might have a point about there being a problem. My mileage has NEVER gone above 6.9L/100km, and my best (in gas miser mode) was 6.1L/100km. I live on the edge of a small resort town, so little traffic to deal with so far, but I have almost no highway miles. For the most part I drive ............ "energetically", because I enjoy the car (Yaris RS 5-speed) so much. I would get it checked out. The only other possibility is that you deal with a lot of "stop and go" traffic.

Thank you very much for your input. And yeah, it's true that I deals with TONS of stop and go traffic around GTA.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:16 AM   #320
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

I should have been clearer, not potholes, but are there lots of hills, and do you do lots of stop and go driving? That can hurt mileage.

Of course going 130 kph does hurt gas mileage.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:23 AM   #321
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by why?
I should have been clearer, not potholes, but are there lots of hills, and do you do lots of stop and go driving? That can hurt mileage.

Of course going 130 kph does hurt gas mileage.
No, I don't think there are lots of hills at all. although its call richmond hill, but it's not as bad. I drive an auto and never really downgear to climb. As I mentioned. I never really go over 3000rpm in city. roughly 2500rpm will do the trick bring me around 70ish ~80 km/h.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:40 AM   #322
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Then it just might be the top speed. The last question is how do you accelerate and decelerate?

Do you use lots of throttle position, and do you find yourself always slamming on the brakes.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:51 AM   #323
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

I never floor mine when the lights turns green. My buddy does, he have the RS. And the strange thing is he have the same milage as me.

slamming on the brakes.... not that I notice, although I like turning corners at a higher speed than my old car. I felt I can do MUCH better cornering on my Yaris than my old altima.

As I have said. I will check the tire pressure after work today. 'why?', what PSI do you suggest for tire pressure? mind you, I am still on those 14 stock wheels.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:34 AM   #324
ricko

Drives: Copper-Orange Yaris RS
I was once told that to get the best mileage you imagine an egg between you foot and the gas pedal. Lots of scrambled eggs in my car.
I really think it is the stop and go stuff. The only time I see that kind of driving up here is on the "Elvis" weekend.
ricko is offline   Reply With Quote