Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-12-2010, 10:36 AM   #19
winbricks

Drives: 2000 echo
i've had good luck with my kumho ecsta ast's.
winbricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:18 PM   #20
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
The stock'ers are junk. MUCH better tires for the money.

Having said that...

If you plan on selling the car in the future, "factory" tires add value to a car.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #21
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
The stock'ers are junk. MUCH better tires for the money.

Having said that...

If you plan on selling the car in the future, "factory" tires add value to a car.
I have to disagree with that.
Most "factory" tires are "entry level" tires and are widely regarded as garbage for the most part. They are definately nothing special.
So, if you upgrade your tires, it will certainly not decrease the value of a car.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #22
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
could somebody explain the UTQG system to me a little better than they do on tirerack? at http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=48 they make it sound like the treadwear number is something you can't really go by.

p.s. Stock tires are Bridgestone Potenza's.
The UTQG rating are not standardized across the industry so pretty much worthless when comparing between brands. Apples vs Oranges.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:28 PM   #23
'LilRedYaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to 'LilRedYaris
I really like the Dunlop Signatures that are on my Yaris. They seem to be a quality, and inexpensive tire.
'LilRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:42 PM   #24
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
I have to disagree with that.
Most "factory" tires are "entry level" tires and are widely regarded as garbage for the most part. They are definately nothing special.
So, if you upgrade your tires, it will certainly not decrease the value of a car.

Go to a dealer, tell him that, then come back and report with what they tell you, mm'kay?

People don't want what "you" think is an upgrade, they want to see what came from the factory.

Unless we're talking some highly visible tire upgrade (say, to a michelin hydro-edge), most people who read 'Sumito' on the sidewalls automatically think "cheap shit", regardless if that may be the case or not.

And anyone who bothers looking at tires, will instantly recognize the box-store replacements.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:13 PM   #25
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
Go to a dealer, tell him that, then come back and report with what they tell you, mm'kay?

People don't want what "you" think is an upgrade, they want to see what came from the factory.

Unless we're talking some highly visible tire upgrade (say, to a michelin hydro-edge), most people who read 'Sumito' on the sidewalls automatically think "cheap shit", regardless if that may be the case or not.

And anyone who bothers looking at tires, will instantly recognize the box-store replacements.
Well, things are a bit different here so, let's just agree to disagree.
Most in my area understand that factory tires are about the cheapest avalible. :)

Also, most would prefer new "upgrade" tires to worn factiory tires any day. The key word here is "upgrade", not downgrade. Ask your local dealer about that.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:02 AM   #26
DaveG

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB
not planning on selling the car anytime soon, so this is a non-issue for me. The yaris stock tires(potenza's) are some of the most expensive on tirerack.com, but I might want a less performance oriented tire if I was buying a yaris used.

Also, I was still curious what I'd be looking at money-wise for a separate pair of wheels+snow tires. Then I could keep the stock tires for summer until they're dead, and then replace them with something that is efficient and gives a comfortable ride, without having to compromise for snow performance. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by DaveG; 07-16-2010 at 11:03 AM. Reason: forgot second part of message
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:56 AM   #27
custodian

Drives: Chevrolet Colorado
Right now, Tirerack is showing no steel wheels available for the Yaris... I would give them a call to find out when they may be available. I am sure that they were shown to be in warehouse last fall.

You can have the snows mounted & balanced... then shipped to your door.

http://www.tirerack.com/snow/WinterW...&Qty2=4&Qty3=4

They do show a 14" combo for the Yaris LB... but the tire is a bit more expensive... the steel wheel is $40 each.
custodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:53 PM   #28
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
I've had the Dunlop Signatures on my car for quite a while and I'm really happy with them as well. Great treadwear and pretty good in the snow/rain. I'm just having to be a little more careful now though because the outter treads are starting to get flat due to too much heavy turning. The rest of the meat on the tires is wearing perfect and very well though.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:18 PM   #29
Vioz

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Vioz
i paid about 400$ for 4 Toyo TPT tires 195/55/15. They are pretty decent i feel they are going to suck in the winter so I'm thinking of putting blizzak's on my steelies and then save up during winter to get summer tires on my rims

Vioz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires