Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-01-2011, 11:03 AM   #19
sg11

Drives: 2010 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Y job View Post
You have a 2010 hatchback, so you can't have that many miles yet. You buy quality gas. It's a Toyota and it's under warranty. Don't worry about the little sounds, it's a machine. Turn up the stereo and roll down the windows and enjoy yourself!
I hear ya. I trust Toyota and know they make quality products. I just wanna know why its doing what its doing.
sg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #20
sg11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
The more timing advance you have in the ignition the higher grade of fuel you need. The 1NZ has a very conservative timing advance compared to the Civic SI and that's mostly why it needs high octane fuel.

If you were to run a stand alone EM and bump the timing up on a stock motor, you'd gain a bunch of power but you'd also require high grade gas.
Good info. Thank you.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:52 AM   #21
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg11 View Post
Hmmm. I thought it was because it HAD to run on premium due to the higher compression and that the more you compress the air and gas the more likely it is to pre- ignite thus requiring a fuel with a higher ignition point?

And as far as reliability and forced induction, did you mean to say they haven't lowered their compression ratio?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
The more timing advance you have in the ignition the higher grade of fuel you need. The 1NZ has a very conservative timing advance compared to the Civic SI and that's mostly why it needs high octane fuel.

If you were to run a stand alone EM and bump the timing up on a stock motor, you'd gain a bunch of power but you'd also require high grade gas.
yup, he said it better.

And yes, i am almost positive none of the boosted guys have lowered compression.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:14 PM   #22
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
^ Garm and Parmas are the only ones.

I actually only run 89 now with no issues. It's incredibly unlikely the noise is actually pre-detonation.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:54 PM   #23
sg11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_Sh1ft View Post
^ Garm and Parmas are the only ones.

I actually only run 89 now with no issues. It's incredibly unlikely the noise is actually pre-detonation.
Well I haven't heard any pinging sounds since switching to 93. Would there be anything else that would make a pinging like sound that would improve by switching to a higher octane fuel? I'm wondering if the ethanol is having an affect on the octane rating?
Old 06-02-2011, 08:07 PM   #24
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg11 View Post
Well I haven't heard any pinging sounds since switching to 93. Would there be anything else that would make a pinging like sound that would improve by switching to a higher octane fuel? I'm wondering if the ethanol is having an affect on the octane rating?
ethanol does have an effect on the octane rating, it makes it higher.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:15 PM   #25
sg11

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
ethanol does have an effect on the octane rating, it makes it higher.
But less energy output?
Old 06-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #26
sg11

Bringing this thread back to the top. Still trying to find some answers to a previously asked question earlier in the thread. For those of you who are running on 87 with no pinging, is there ethanol blended in?
Old 06-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #27
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
100% E10 use since new, no pinging on 87 octane under any circumstances.

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #28
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Also, sg11 you are correct there is less energy in the ethanol so ethanol blends contain slightly less energy. Many here report mileage losses when they had to switch over to E10.

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #29
jekqmb
Local Sh*t Disturber

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB
Pinging in a stock yaris... hahaha.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:19 PM   #30
sg11

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
100% E10 use since new, no pinging on 87 octane under any circumstances.

R2
Hmm. Maybe it isn't pinging. I wish I could record the sound its making but its so faint.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:20 PM   #31
sg11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekqmb View Post
Pinging in a stock yaris... hahaha.
?
Old 06-10-2011, 12:31 PM   #32
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
yea.. i just dont see a stock new 2010 yaris pinging.. unless u can take it to a dealer and have them verify the noise and do some investigating.. I dont think u really have a problem
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:59 PM   #33
ChitownY@Ris

Drives: '07 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
yea.. i just dont see a stock new 2010 yaris pinging.. unless u can take it to a dealer and have them verify the noise and do some investigating.. I dont think u really have a problem
Based on what you said, and I guess based on the fact that I have 3k miles left on my warranty, I was wondering if I should take it in to Toyota to see why I'm pinging... Is this something they'll chalk up as just what gas station I fill at, or will they actually do some tests? And last but not least, is a pinging problem something that a warranty would repair?
Old 07-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #34
ChitownY@Ris

Drives: '07 Yaris Sedan
^^Disregard. Just called Toyota. Says he has to do tests to establish the cause, which could take several hours. Additionally, he wasn't sure if Toyota would honor said causes under the warranty. There's no way of knowing until he finds the cause, and submits it to Toyota warranty center for approval. If approved, customer pays nothing. If denied, customer gets charged $107.00 for the diagnosis.

Pretty risky.

In the meantime, he recommended getting gas only at BP or Shell for at least two full tank cycles. If pinging stops, great. If it persists, bring it in to the dealership.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:40 PM   #35
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Yep. sounds like a dealership thing.. Also, see if you can get them to pull up a newer yaris and compare the sounds with the service writer. If you can get the service writer to confirm thier is a difference in noise, then you have a better chance of the mechanic to do proper tests instead of just saying "working as disigned", "no problem found", or "normal for this model".
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:05 PM   #36
brg88tx

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan, Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Are you actually experiencing pinging, or is it valve tapping? These cars all exhibit some degree of valve tapping. The engines are never truly silent.
when i first start driving mine there is what i would describe a a light rattling sound. is this valve tapping?
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote