Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-23-2009, 11:06 PM   #19
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Can you post one sample RAW file so that we can try with our photo editors? I use PaintShop Pro for all my editing. Much cheaper than Photoshop and easier to use.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:12 PM   #20
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtNoogie View Post
Can you post one sample RAW file so that we can try with our photo editors? I use PaintShop Pro for all my editing. Much cheaper than Photoshop and easier to use.
How would I go about doing that? They're .nef files, and aren't part of the attachment list???
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:13 PM   #21
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
hmm, then i have no clue, sorry have you tried googling it to see if someone else had a similar problem?

maybe just to a general update on your CS4. sometimes they'll release some patches .
That's the thing tho, the update and many other things on my CS4 does not work??????
Old 01-23-2009, 11:19 PM   #22
LtNoogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
How would I go about doing that? They're .nef files, and aren't part of the attachment list???
Maybe just email around. Here's an excerpt of a review of Paint Shop Pro from October of 2007

One of the major additions to the Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo program in recent years is the ability to edit RAW image files. Unlike compressed image formats like JPEG, RAW images record more color, greater dynamic range (more shadow detail and more highlight detail), and allows you to easily change the white balance during post-processing in case you used the wrong white balance when you took the photo. X2 supports a wide range of RAW image formats including “unofficial” support of the Adobe DNG open standard RAW format.

Unfortunately, the RAW image editor built into X2 is not as functional as it could be. Corel currently only supports RAW image formats from a handful of cameras, and we also discovered during testing that not all DNG images could be opened by this application. For example, X2 couldn’t open a DNG format RAW file from a Pentax K10D, but it could open the PEF format RAW file from the same camera. Beyond this, X2 also lacked the functionality to change the white balance settings before opening the image. So, if you “need” to edit a variety of RAW images then X2 may not be the best program for you to use at this time.

Hopefully, they've corrected the problems noted in the review.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:03 AM   #23
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Maybe just email around. Here's an excerpt of a review of Paint Shop Pro from October of 2007

One of the major additions to the Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo program in recent years is the ability to edit RAW image files. Unlike compressed image formats like JPEG, RAW images record more color, greater dynamic range (more shadow detail and more highlight detail), and allows you to easily change the white balance during post-processing in case you used the wrong white balance when you took the photo. X2 supports a wide range of RAW image formats including “unofficial” support of the Adobe DNG open standard RAW format.

Unfortunately, the RAW image editor built into X2 is not as functional as it could be. Corel currently only supports RAW image formats from a handful of cameras, and we also discovered during testing that not all DNG images could be opened by this application. For example, X2 couldn’t open a DNG format RAW file from a Pentax K10D, but it could open the PEF format RAW file from the same camera. Beyond this, X2 also lacked the functionality to change the white balance settings before opening the image. So, if you “need” to edit a variety of RAW images then X2 may not be the best program for you to use at this time.

Hopefully, they've corrected the problems noted in the review.
hmmm, maybe I'll get that. Thanks. I emailed you a couple pics.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:03 AM   #24
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
reinstall ir or at least repair it
I'll try reinstalling it, if that doesn't work, then I'll switch back to CS2.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:15 AM   #25
LtNoogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
hmmm, maybe I'll get that. Thanks. I emailed you a couple pics.
I just found out my Paint Shop Pro X is from 2005. I'm downloading a 30-day trial for Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 Ultimate. They claim it supports over 250 camera raw formats. Also does HDR photo merge.

I think they are having a special for $69.99.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:25 AM   #26
Kaotic Lazagna

$70!
Old 01-24-2009, 01:27 AM   #27
LtNoogie

I guess from my frame of reference, that's reasonable. Nine years ago, I paid over $500 for the full version of Photoshop. It was for work so I got reimbursed.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:33 AM   #28
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
I guess from my frame of reference, that's reasonable. Nine years ago, I paid over $500 for the full version of Photoshop. It was for work so I got reimbursed.
Ah, software is so expensive these days (and back).
Old 01-24-2009, 01:43 AM   #29
LtNoogie

Ok. Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 Ultimate can open your NEF files. What do you want me to do with them? I can give Garm's car a new color or something.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:45 AM   #30
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Ok. Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 Ultimate can open your NEF files. What do you want me to do with them? I can give Garm's car a new color or something.
LOL. No clue. You can play around with it. That's what I wanted to do, without having to change them to JPEG, that is.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:07 AM   #31
NJBob

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Does converting them to jpeg negate the advantages of shooting in RAW?
Absolutely. Jpeg is really best used online since it's so much smaller a file to send on the web. For prints Tiff or Bmp are a couple of the better formats.
There is a free editing program called GIMP. They have a plug-in to convert RAW. I haven't researched it yet but it's worth a look. It has great reviews and it's free. Check it at --> http://www.gimp.org/
NJBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:14 PM   #32
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBob View Post
Absolutely. Jpeg is really best used online since it's so much smaller a file to send on the web. For prints Tiff or Bmp are a couple of the better formats.
There is a free editing program called GIMP. They have a plug-in to convert RAW. I haven't researched it yet but it's worth a look. It has great reviews and it's free. Check it at --> http://www.gimp.org/
Thanks. I'll get on this after I get some rest. I'm exhausted.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:14 PM   #33
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
the Raw files need to be converted to be viewed by anybody else. I use my RAW files as "negative originals" in reference to film negatives, this way i can keep changing the picture without loosing quality on the original. You need to remember that each time you save a jpg it will loose quality since the compression will add up at the end.
I really need to learn more about RAW...
Old 01-25-2009, 03:24 PM   #34
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
if i can help let me know.
Anything and everything you know about RAW vs jpeg. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:44 PM   #35
Kaotic Lazagna

Cool, thanks.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:28 PM   #36
TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Banned

Drives: '08 Lexus IS-F
Send a message via AIM to TEHxFALLEN V1.2
I like it RAW. lol jk.