Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-17-2006, 12:40 PM   #1
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
WARNING for US owners

The saga continues... As you may know I took off my mirror and scratched up the paint on the right hand side of my Yaris LB recently. Well I ordered a new mirror housing and cover from my dealership last week and the housing came in today. I should have the cover tomorrow. Anyway, I went through the trouble (and trust me its a pain in the ass) of removing the door cover and installing the new mirror... I stood back to take in my job well done when I realized that the new mirror isn't the same as the stock one on the other side of my car! In big letters on the bottom of the new mirror...

OBJECTS IN MIRROR MAY BE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR

Its not on the old mirror... now I realize it isn't a huge deal, but dammit... this is the first car I have bought brand new in my life and I will be damned if anything isn't perfect, especially after paying $170 for a factory mirror! The service department's explaination: These cars are made in Japan, but some parts (like this mirror, which was made in Indiana) are now being manufactured in the United States under different specs apparently. He said that a japanese mirror might not have the etching, but mine sure as hell does. In the end I am going to have to call Toyota customer service and have them replace one of the mirrors... I don't mind having the warning on the mirrors, but I do mind having mirrors that don't match. If they say no, then we will see how many towns I have to burn before I get the right part.

Lesson: if buying from Toyota, don't assume that just because they matched a part to your VIN number that means that the part will be correct. Check everything twice coming from them right now, because the distribution system for this car (parts and car alike) is all f*#^$ed up

They just told me my cover is in... Hopefully I don't get there and find out its Bayou Blue. Haha.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote