Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-27-2007, 11:28 AM   #19
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Drives: 2007 Black Sand Liftback
I have a question about the compoisition of the stock vs TRD shocks.

Are our stock shocks/struts gas or oil filled? I'm guessing either oil or twin tube gas at best. Are the TRD's at least twin tube gas, hopefully montube gas?
Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:05 PM   #20
Galavoxx

Drives: Yaris Hatch
Both stock and TRD are gas/oil filled. The TRDs have nitrogen gas, probably at a higher pressure with a heavier weight oil. They are likely rebranded Gas-a-Just. Both the TRD and the OEM are made by KYB. Here is a blurb I just found:

These KYB Gas-a-Just shocks use higher gas pressure to keep your tires glued to the road. The KYB Gas-a-Just shocks' velocity-sensitive valving system adjusts quickly to changing road conditions for maximum comfort in any situation. Their monotube configuration eliminates aeration and foaming, their micro-smooth, hard-chromed pistons extend their life, and their seamless cylinders and eyerings completely eliminate seam failures.
Galavoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:22 PM   #21
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galavoxx View Post
Both stock and TRD are gas/oil filled. The TRDs have nitrogen gas, probably at a higher pressure with a heavier weight oil. They are likely rebranded Gas-a-Just. Both the TRD and the OEM are made by KYB. Here is a blurb I just found:

These KYB Gas-a-Just shocks use higher gas pressure to keep your tires glued to the road. The KYB Gas-a-Just shocks' velocity-sensitive valving system adjusts quickly to changing road conditions for maximum comfort in any situation. Their monotube configuration eliminates aeration and foaming, their micro-smooth, hard-chromed pistons extend their life, and their seamless cylinders and eyerings completely eliminate seam failures.
Exactly the info I wanted to see. You are a big help, thanks. That helps me feel better about just lowering my car with stock shocks/struts with the Tanabe DF's I have on order. I know they will ruin my stock stuff within 30K tops, but that's ok for me now. Once they go, hopefully some GOOD shocks like Koni/Bilstein are available, not crap like KYB or TRD.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:59 PM   #22
Galavoxx

Drives: Yaris Hatch
I wanted Konis or Blistein but couldn't wait. After I lowered the car, it was apparent I needed some stiffer shocks. The TRDs work well but could be just a hair more aggressive to suite my taste. Either way, they are a huge improvement over stock. Adjustable dampening would be ideal.
Galavoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:13 PM   #23
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galavoxx View Post

So we can get an upgrade to the OEM shocks without paying the extra $$$ for the TRD logo. That's what I wanted to know!

Now, anoyone has any info on what would be the KYB equivalent to the TRD option?

Any one with TRD shocks that can provide the specs, p/n etc... to help find the KYB match.

Also, about KYB. It might not be the best shock performance wise, but I can tell you those are some long lasting and good quality shocks.
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 06:13 PM   #24
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTREX View Post
So we can get an upgrade to the OEM shocks without paying the extra $$$ for the TRD logo. That's what I wanted to know!

Now, anoyone has any info on what would be the KYB equivalent to the TRD option?

Any one with TRD shocks that can provide the specs, p/n etc... to help find the KYB match.

Also, about KYB. It might not be the best shock performance wise, but I can tell you those are some long lasting and good quality shocks.
In the TRD shock's defense, you can get them for only $310 bucks, which is insanely cheap for a quality set of shocks/struts in my book (keeping in mind my book comes from $600 sets of Bilstein sports for BMW M3's).
Old 01-29-2007, 01:13 PM   #25
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
I know $300 is cheap for a set of shocks. But I wonder how much the equivalents would be? $200???
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote