Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 12:20 AM   #19
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
Personal use? You mean like the WallyWorld lot full of these pigs, as Mommie goes in to buy the latest pile of Chinese-made junk? Ah, yes, THAT personal use, I saw that the other day...

My hope is that regs like that force this Continent into EVs of some type, hopefully putting an end to the bizarre traffic systems now in place. Every time they show a gridlock on an 8-lane highway (remember that the 8-lane was supposed to cure the gridlock on the previous 4-lane), with heatwaves radiating off the bumper-to-bumper traffic, I think, "something MUST be done, and soon..."

If they actually cared about the traffic flow, they'd remove the half of the drivers that can't properly merge/pass/overtake/give right-of-way.

I was on the Don Valley Parkway from downtown Toronto to Markham a few nights ago... Traffic was rather light... Yet we STILL dropped to lower than 40mph at EVERY on-ramp for the ONE or TWO cars merging onto the highway. Keep in mind, the narrowest portion has THREE lanes.

The goverment, of course, will never remove these pathetic drivers because they'd be:

A) taking away tax dollars

and

B) throwing away votes.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:17 AM   #20
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
I'm not against people having full size trucks or suv's. They serve a purpose, But I don't think they should be daily drivers.
Every guy in my town has a superduty ford, or Dodge lifted on 38" tires to drive 5 miles to work in. Most people with these kinds of vehicles don't use them for the intended purpose.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:22 PM   #21
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post
I'm not against people having full size trucks or suv's. They serve a purpose, But I don't think they should be daily drivers.
Every guy in my town has a superduty ford, or Dodge lifted on 38" tires to drive 5 miles to work in. Most people with these kinds of vehicles don't use them for the intended purpose.
i would agree

there are all these "look at me i need attention" people driving around in H2's that dont need them and only use them as a status symbol.

the worse part is half the people who have those are struggling to keep up on payments

http://www.4055design.com
Old 05-20-2009, 01:41 PM   #22
tuckevalastin

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
For their intended purpose? Are you kidding me? You honestly think you use your car only for its intended purpose? And who gets to decide what that intended purpose is? In my opinion the intended purpose of a car is to enjoyably get its driver from point A to point B. By my standards those trucks are being used for their intended purpose completely.

If I want to drive the biggest, loudest, least fuel efficient truck in the world (which I dont) I have as much right to do so as you driving the smallest, quietest, most fuel efficient micro car in the world.

On the same token If I want to build a house with 6 rooms even though I can live by myself in a house with 1 room then I have the right to do so. Sure I don't NEED a specific room for dining or watching tv but I damn sure have the right to have them. I don't need the ability to haul stuff in a truck bed on most occasions but I have the right to have it.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:32 PM   #23
aeipee13
DKDC

Drives: Yarlet
I think fuel economy and car size is going to be an issue in the US for awhile. There is still a lot of room to move around in our country, plus the whole "don't tell me what to do" aspect I feel a lot of Americans have.

I just got back from Italy where Yarii were actually one of the bigger cars on the road. Again older cities more crowding issues similar to Japan. In Italy the car is looked at more like an appliance rather than your ego incarnate. I think Americans should start thinking this way. People rather pay to boost their egos rather than be sensible.

The fact that American car makers are still fighting this (quietly because they are surviving on government checks) shows that they deserve to go out of business. They wonder why they can't sell economy cars for a profit when all the American ones look like and are designed like shit. I am excited for Chrysler and Fiat because well designed ecnoboxes is Fiats specialty. Maybe they can do for Chrysler what Audi did for itself as far as making a come back.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:10 PM   #24
aeipee13
DKDC

Careful or the pot-smoking-gay-abortionist-terrorist are going to get you. Just end it here you live in a different world than the rest of the entire planet.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:10 PM   #25
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
This used to be a free country.
I grew up mostly in northern california. Lots of trees, not a lot of pollution. Well I went to visit my dad in southern california one summer, not far from LA. I went out for a bike ride the first day I got there - I rode my bike every day in northern california.

I had the worst chest pains I had ever experienced in my life. The smog people in LA deal with every day had crippled me. Do you have freedom to harm my lungs? If your answer is yes, can I attack your lungs with a baseball bat? What's the difference?

Not only are you harming people now, but for years to come..

Its funny how all the people crying about losing their freedom now were the same people who were so eager to give up half of their civil liberties(patriot act).
Old 05-20-2009, 05:05 PM   #26
Zaphod

Drives: Big Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaYa View Post
Funny, a BBC article ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8056908.stm )said the cars will cost $1300 more to make...so if the $3500 is in fact accurate...guess who's pocketing $2200

...not that I trust the BBC anymore than...well....anything.

And yes, they seem to ignore that driving a more fuel efficient vehicle will save you money on fuel vs. a less efficient vehicle.
I think there are a few flaws in that logic, though.

The first is this. I you're cheap like me you can always avoid that additional $3500 by putting off buying a new car :)

Of course the second is if you're again a cheapskate like me you can just get a more sensible car, like I don't know ... say a Yaris which kind of meets those requirements already.

Of course, if this is just about fleet averages can't they just make 3 zillion billion versions of the Beat and Volt, Zap and whatever else to keep their average mpg down for the fleet?

Maybe it's oversimplification, but it seems to me like it's just easier to increase gasoline tax nationwide, creating the demand for more efficient vehicles, easing back on the taxes as the price per barrel rises, helping to slow the shock to the economy felt the last time around. It just makes more sense to me as demand is what drives the market more than anything else.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:42 PM   #27
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
2012 gives me a shiver... earth misallignment,, or aliens comes back and take over the world..they have been here before and visited many times..." i believe "..lolz. i think im watching too many x-files.
wow. no joking around. I just had a dream (nap) about the planets aligning up or something like that happening in 2012, that's pretty crazy
Old 05-20-2009, 05:51 PM   #28
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothman86 View Post
wow. no joking around. I just had a dream (nap) about the planets aligning up or something like that happening in 2012, that's pretty crazy
did u read this post before the dream..if so its ur subconscious that triggered that dream. ..then again we all die in 2012 nice knowing you guys.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:51 PM   #29
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
did u read this post before the dream..if so its ur subconscious that triggered that dream. ..then again we all die in 2012 nice knowing you guys.
nope it was completely random, woke up, checked YW opened this thread...
Old 05-20-2009, 10:45 PM   #30
mr9865
$10.25/hr frying chicken

Drives: 2012 Yaris L
I'm glad the standards are being increased, now we can have more choices than just the yaris for a fuel efficient vehicle. I like my focus but the best i can do is 29mpg, if this were law earlier my focus would be getting in the 30s like the yaris and I would be happy.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:49 PM   #31
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
a bunch of crap to make people think he knows what he's talking about
Ozone, which is the major component of smog, is a strong respiratory irritant and oxidant. Ozone levels tend to be highest in the summer and in the late morning and early afternoon. Short-term exposures can produce dyspnea, chest pain, and airways reactivity. Children who regularly participate in outdoor sports during days on which ozone pollution is high are more likely to develop asthma. Long-term exposure to ozone produces a small, permanent decrease in lung function.

http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec05/ch057/ch057b.html

go away now

edit: can't believe I'm coming back to argue with someone who thinks pollution doesn't hurt the lungs, but

http://www.lungusa.org/site/c.dvLUK9...2/Rankings.htm

LA is #1 for short term and year round particulates..

also, people who live in LA don't usually have chest pain either, but coming from very low pollution to heavy will cause chest pain. Its just like smoking cigarettes. Someone who has smoked for years doesn't even feel it going down. A first time smoker will cough out a lung.

Last edited by supmet; 05-20-2009 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:07 AM   #32
aeipee13
DKDC

tweedle dee

tweedle dumb

the LA basin has been the nations worst air for years. Pittsburgh beat out LA in 2008 and you're proud of that? air pollution is a problem if it comes from a car or factory. I think it's really bold to call either Bush or Obama a dictator or say they are acting like one. What's your plan and what would you do if you where the leader of our nation? How would you silence the people who want to see you taking action?

What are you doing to make things better? Complaining about Neo-cons is for pussies not Americans. You bought your Yaris for economic reasons or environmental ones. Laws requiring the US to join the rest of the world and pushing car technology forward is a good thing.

If the Good Ol' Boys can't handle it they should loose there jobs like so many other hard working Americans. I don't think we should have bailed those assholes out in the first place. We should have bailed out the factory workers the CEOs screwed over with their lack of foresight and creativity. Then found them new CEOs with some vision because the Good Ol' Boys won't act unless a law is passed.

Last edited by aeipee13; 05-21-2009 at 02:19 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:57 AM   #33
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
I grew up mostly in northern california. Lots of trees, not a lot of pollution. Well I went to visit my dad in southern california one summer, not far from LA. I went out for a bike ride the first day I got there - I rode my bike every day in northern california.

I had the worst chest pains I had ever experienced in my life. The smog people in LA deal with every day had crippled me. Do you have freedom to harm my lungs? If your answer is yes, can I attack your lungs with a baseball bat? What's the difference?

Not only are you harming people now, but for years to come..

Its funny how all the people crying about losing their freedom now were the same people who were so eager to give up half of their civil liberties(patriot act).
What liberties were given up for the Patriot Act? Maybe you have been tuned into MSNBC too long? Or maybe your are a terrorist and the right to plan terrorist acts was, in your opinion a right!

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

Old 05-21-2009, 11:57 AM   #34
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Tapping your phone is okay, is it? Silly me, I would have thought that would have interfered with a right to privacy...

But if it's okay with you, I must be wrong.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:12 PM   #35
ka0sx

Drives: bone f*ing stock
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
What liberties were given up for the Patriot Act? Maybe you have been tuned into MSNBC too long? Or maybe your are a terrorist and the right to plan terrorist acts was, in your opinion a right!
why are you still wasting precious oxygen?
Old 05-21-2009, 05:52 PM   #36
aeipee13
DKDC

daf thinks people's political views are FOXnews or MSNBC. In reality, there is a lot of left, right, up, and down views. Visit the coast sometime daf. Just because I want to be able to smoke weed in the streets doesn't mean i don't want to be doing it with open borders and no military power. Maybe I want to execute murderers and rapists but think a woman still has a right to choose. Just open your eyes. everyone is different and we all live here together.

Last edited by aeipee13; 05-21-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Closed Thread