Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-16-2013, 08:04 AM   #19
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Honestly, I think it was the most complementary review of the Yaris I've seen. Which while not much, says something. These people are use to driving ridiculously overpriced and over optioned vehicles with stupid amount of power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
"... with just 106 horsepower and 103 pound-feet of torque, Toyota’s hatchback is among the slowpokes of its class."

I never could figure out why HP and torque are even used as review criteria in the sub-compact/economy class. What do I care if I can not keep up with a 140 HP Sonic Turbo? I am not Dominic Toretto.
Because you still need to accelerate on to the highway. Where I live the on ramp could be 1/8 of a mile, while there are more than a few where the only 'on ramp' is the gigantic curve, and you don't get any straightaway to get up to speed.

Now if you actually have a brain, it is not a big deal. But so many people have to stop at the end of the curve, look, and then accelerate. That would get them killed where I live.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:14 AM   #20
Amdkt7
Returning to Toyota

Drives: 2013 L 3dr MT
I drive small cars because I am generally conservative. Big libs, like the NYT put us down, while they drive huge smog machines at unsafe speeds. Yes, the Yaris is quite low on the power scale, but look at how much more power the car has compared to economy cars from 10-15 years ago. Remember the VW bug had 42 HP.
The greenies want the rest of us to drive micro electric only cars, while they stick with SUVs. Nothing like watching an Obama bumper sticker zooming by at 90+ mph, on a huge SUV.
Amdkt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #21
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I read the whole article. IMO, the praise could be likened to standing over what you perceive to be a turd on the pavement while holding your nose and saying complimentary things about the perceived turd.

But I note the NYT HAS been reviewing small cars like the Yaris lately.

Could the public be coming around to not paying $200 a month for gas?

Or not spending $30,000 which is probably what the average car costs nowadays?

I hope not because then I would have to find something else to rant about!
Old 03-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #22
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
Like any or many reviews, the content exposes more insight to the "reviewer" than that of the reviewed.

All in all I don't think it was a bad review at all of the Yaris, pretty spot on actually. I like the "barstool" seating. I'm sick of getting out of a small car feeling like I climbing out of a bean-bag chair.

The reviewer likes the redesigned 2012 Yaris.

"Yaris, which was redesigned for 2012, most of Toyota’s subcompact sins are forgiven".

That tells me everything I need to know.

Last edited by NEexpat; 03-16-2013 at 10:59 AM.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #23
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
These people are use to driving ridiculously overpriced and over optioned vehicles with stupid amount of power.
Which, IMO, wouldn't influence how they view the Yaris if they had a broader perspective of the people on our planet.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #24
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post

But I note the NYT HAS been reviewing small cars like the Yaris lately.

Could the public be coming around to not paying $200 a month for gas?

Or not spending $30,000 which is probably what the average car costs nowadays?

I hope not because then I would have to find something else to rant about!
. Perhaps more people in the tri-state area have finally 'had it up to here', what with Nanny Bloomberg's attempt to restrict soft drink size, Cuomo inspired gun control regs, and the newspaper in Westchester County pushing the map with all the gun permit holders on it.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #25
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEexpat View Post

I'm sick of getting out of a small car feeling like I climbing out of a bean-bag chair.

The reviewer likes the redesigned 2012 Yaris.
And the 2012 and 2013 SE = seats that are (IMO) even more comfortable than the seats in the other trim levels (in addition to being height adjustable).
Old 03-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #26
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amdkt7 View Post
Big libs, like the NYT
I wonder if they would 'still be standing', able to put forth the viewpoints they do, if it weren't for the financial support of Carlos Slim Helu.

Quote:
The greenies want the rest of us to drive micro electric only cars, while they stick with SUVs. Nothing like watching an Obama bumper sticker zooming by at 90+ mph, on a huge SUV.
...or a limo with one of several hypocritical members of Congress (Senators and Reps) from California who have either been 'packing' for eons because of special treatment from local LEOs, or have armed security.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #27
bronsin

Quote:
"Yaris, which was redesigned for 2012, most of Toyota’s subcompact sins are forgiven".

That tells me everything I need to know.
Theres nothing wrong with the older Yaris's all the way back to 2007. Theyre great cars if you want a small car.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #28
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
^ I love it when these "reviewers" talk about how happy they are with the redesign it is really code for .............................wait for it

redesign= moved gauge console back in front of driver

The new hood design blah blah blah could hit them in head and they couldn't care less.

The gauges are back where they belong that is all that matters. I so enjoy having my GPS and Ultra-Gauge in that driver side glove box, it's perfect for me.

Screw them.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #29
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
^ I love it when these "reviewers" talk about how happy they are with the redesign it is really code for .............................wait for it

redesign= moved gauge console back in front of driver

The new hood design blah blah blah could hit them in head and they couldn't care less.

The gauges are back where they belong that is all that matters. I so enjoy having my GPS and Ultra-Gauge in that driver side glove box, it's perfect for me.

Screw them.
. Everything has to be in its 'intended' place .
Old 03-17-2013, 06:33 AM   #30
Amdkt7
Returning to Toyota

I never owned the older instrument style, although I drove one once. I did not like the gauges in the center. But you do have a point about how it is hard to find mounting places for accessories.
My GPS mount is above, on the top of the dash. Same place I always had it. The XM radio is mounted under the dash, just above the stick shift.
I will probably add a scan gauge, and put it also up on the dash top.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:29 AM   #31
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
The center gauges get taking use to, but I wouldn't switch back because the glove box behind the steering wheel is wonderful. No one expects it is there, and it is a perfect place for a nav system.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:42 AM   #32
Amdkt7
Returning to Toyota

You are probably right. However, as an initial impression I was put off by the center location. I might have rejected the car on that bais, but if I had bought one like that I probably would have really liked it, just like you do.
I think as a general marketing decision it was the right thing to do, however, I think they could have provided a space for people like us to put things.
I don't need a huge tach and speedometer (especially one that goes all the way to 140 MPH). I want the eco, clock, and temp gauges to be bigger, and I want separate, dedicated readouts for odometer, trip, eco, and eco average.
I long for a seven inch multipurpose display, that could be used just like a tv monitor, standard HDMI input, that had selectable inputs. I want gps and other devices made with HDMI outputs so there is no end to the customization that could be achieved. One display for the radio, sat radio, gps, customer added backup camera.... built into the dash, protected from bright sun light. Less wires.

Would it not be so cool if there were slots under the dash that could house aftermarket devices that could use the display and the controls for one standard interface?
Old 03-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #33
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3Dr LB | 2020 Stang
I love my Yaris. I'm keeping my 2010 Yaris for 20 years. 10,000 mi a year, I'll be at 200k. Should last if given TLC. I wonder how much small cars (Yaris equivelant) will cost in 2030? $30-35k? I betcha work salaries will not increase with the level of everything else. Why, I may be finding alternate modes of transportation.

Cheers!

Most miles Tank: 538 tank/10.148 gal = 53.015 MPG / Most MPG: 54.95 MPG (ethanol) 425 tank/7.73 gal

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people." -- Frank Kent
STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #34
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
I love my Yaris. I'm keeping my 2010 Yaris for 20 years. 10,000 mi a year, I'll be at 200k. Should last if given TLC. I wonder how much small cars (Yaris equivelant) will cost in 2030? $30-35k? I betcha work salaries will not increase with the level of everything else. Why, I may be finding alternate modes of transportation.

Cheers!
When I think of longevity, I think of the car that Tooter's White 2012 Yaris replaced.....a Hyundai that he and his wife had for 17 Years! Of course many Toyotas have probably hit that mark as well.

I love your quote from Frank Kent. It reminds me of a small part of the documentary Sicko. Michael Moore (probably one of the worlds biggest hypocrites (but I still thought the movie was informative,taken with a grain of salt)) or one of his surrogates was interviewing one of the guys who spearheaded the National Health Service in Britain. I can't remember that gent's name, but I'll never forget what he said. He said that in the U.S. the people/citizens are afraid of the government and in Britain and France the governments are afraid of the people/citizens.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #35
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
The thing I find funny is how so many people (both reviewers and auto enthusiasts) knock the four-speed auto. Really? Who cares?

"Given that Chevy, Ford and Hyundai offer thriftier 6-speed automatics, Toyota had better get with the program."

Name:  yarisfuel.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  157.1 KB

So Toyota better "had better get with the program" because it gets better combined fuel economy with its ancient four-speed auto than most other subcompacts in its class? And really, the combined fuel economy is pretty important, not so much just the city and highway, right?

It's assertions by automotive writers that peeve me. C'mon—visit FuelEconomy.gov and do the research instead of lambasting Toyota for its four-speed auto.

And full disclosures: I have written a review on the '12 Yaris SE, although mine was the manual (thankfully).

http://www.subcompactculture.com/201...prisingly.html

- Andy
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #36
bronsin

If you think about it, the more speeds the more times the engine has to accelerate to the shifting point. A Three speed gets there in three times. A six speed has to do it six times.

The final gear ratio is the same no matter if its a three speed or a six speed.

Six speed trannys are the manufactures way of jerking the public off.