Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-16-2006, 01:48 AM   #19
pennystocks

Drives: 07 Civic Si Coupe(Black Pearl)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uglyboyed
???? uum if you have to plug it in. isnt ur electric bill going to sky rocket?

If thats the case i'll plug it in my neighbors house. lol
I remeber reading somewhere that it takes somewhere around 10 hours to fully charge it (a guy converted a prius to Lithium Ion betteries and added a plug to charge it at night).

If it cost 12 cents per KW/HR you are spending $1.20 a night to go from 60mpg to 100+ mpg, worth it? and thats for a full charge too. I believe he could go as far as 30 miles w/o having the car start gas engine for extra power.
Another reason why toyota beats honda in hybrids, the prius's 60HP electric engine can drive the car w/o the gas engine vs hondas 20hp electric engine.
pennystocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:42 AM   #20
Uglyboyed

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan S Flint Mica
Send a message via AIM to Uglyboyed Send a message via Yahoo to Uglyboyed
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennystocks
I remeber reading somewhere that it takes somewhere around 10 hours to fully charge it (a guy converted a prius to Lithium Ion betteries and added a plug to charge it at night).

If it cost 12 cents per KW/HR you are spending $1.20 a night to go from 60mpg to 100+ mpg, worth it? and thats for a full charge too. I believe he could go as far as 30 miles w/o having the car start gas engine for extra power.
Another reason why toyota beats honda in hybrids, the prius's 60HP electric engine can drive the car w/o the gas engine vs hondas 20hp electric engine.
wow i didnt know that. seems with a lil work the prius can be a very good investment!!! in that case i dont have to plug it at my neighbors house anymore!!
Uglyboyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:51 AM   #21
Tankota
Prototype Tester

Drives: Yaris S-Sedan / FJ Cruiser
For the added $10,000+ the Prius will cost vrs the Yaris, it's not worth it.. How many miles would you have to drive the Prius vrs the Yaris to save $10,000+ in gas?
Tankota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 12:10 PM   #22
Uglyboyed

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan S Flint Mica
Send a message via AIM to Uglyboyed Send a message via Yahoo to Uglyboyed
well if you put it that way than you wouldnt really save you money in the beginning. but at 100 mpg after about 5 years you would have made a lil profit.
Uglyboyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:16 PM   #23
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Well, the average Prius driver gets about 50 mpg, and it looks like the average Yaris drive gets about 37 or 38.

So for $10,000 in savings, according to http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/feg2000.htm, the Prius costs $601 for fuel, the Yaris auto costs $1213.

So to save $10k, you'd need to drive the car about 17 years.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:02 PM   #24
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
I have seen a Prius being used as a taxi. I think that car's driver/owner will recoup the price differential faster than most other people because of the high daily mileage that his car has to run .
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:03 PM   #25
Reddington

Drives: 1995 Corolla DX auto
Here are the advantages I see in a diesel. There's the 20-30% higher fuel economy, so a Yaris diesel would get 45-50mpg rather than say 38. Also I don't think acceleration would suffer as much since diesel engines have peak torque at lower RPMs than gasoline engines. I would be willing to pay the extra $1k for the extra MPG
Reddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:09 AM   #26
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
The rest of the world uses mostly diesel for fuel econ and cheeper to refine.... I geuss North America is too oil hungry to go with more diesel... Don't know if anyone else watches Mythbusters but they had a diesel Benz running on strained french fry greese (they only ran it through a paint strainer) and got a couple MPH less than diesel fuel... and to think Mc Donalds just throws that shit away, if I had a diesel I would be hittin up the burger joints for free fuel
Old 10-11-2006, 09:07 AM   #27
pxpaulx

Drives: Barcelona Red 5spd sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennystocks

and how much did that lithium ion battery conversion cost? i'm betting it wasn't a bunch of energizers in the trunk. probably cost ANOTHER $5-10K to have that installed. maybe in california where people pay $500K for a 1 bedroom townhome that isn't alot of money, but to most people around the country it isn't feasible. i'll take 38mpg from my $13K yaris any day over a prius. the extra $50 i'll spend a month in gas (probably less than that, a co-worker had a prius and averaged 47mpg, not that great!) is alot more worth it than the extra $250 it'll cost in monthly payments to own the prius.
pxpaulx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:28 AM   #28
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Drives: Prius, Silver Yaris Liftback
Careful what you wish for, guys. I recently went to a primarily deisel-run country and the air quality was horrendous. I'm sure a lot of that is just lax emissions controls, but deisels can't run as clean as petrol engines.
Idjiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:49 PM   #29
tomjasz
Banned

Drives: 07 Black Yaris LB, 05 Camry LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris
The rest of the world uses mostly diesel for fuel econ and cheeper to refine.... I geuss North America is too oil hungry to go with more diesel... Don't know if anyone else watches Mythbusters but they had a diesel Benz running on strained french fry greese (they only ran it through a paint strainer) and got a couple MPH less than diesel fuel... and to think Mc Donalds just throws that shit away, if I had a diesel I would be hittin up the burger joints for free fuel

Ah sorry but in most large cities these days fryer oil is now turned into biodiesel. It does not work to simply run through a strainer!!!!!!!!!! You missed something in the translation, I doubt that Mythbusters would miss that detail!!!!
tomjasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:50 PM   #30
tomjasz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idjiit
deisels can't run as clean as petrol engines.

Dead wrong! Please read some on biodiesel!
Old 10-11-2006, 01:53 PM   #31
tomjasz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uglyboyed
???? uum if you have to plug it in. isnt ur electric bill going to sky rocket?

If thats the case i'll plug it in my neighbors house. lol

Estimates I've read put the cost comparison at a cost per gallon rate of $1.50
Old 10-11-2006, 06:25 PM   #32
Reddington

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/business...18TDY08005.htm

FYI. Diesels in general are now much cleaner than they used to be and now that low-sulphur diesel is in the states, that means there will be diesels that can clear emissions in all 50 states
Old 10-19-2006, 01:32 AM   #33
captainzerocool
CAMRY FTW!

Drives: Camry LE V-6 (225,000+ miles)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddington
Here are the advantages I see in a diesel. There's the 20-30% higher fuel economy, so a Yaris diesel would get 45-50mpg rather than say 38. Also I don't think acceleration would suffer as much since diesel engines have peak torque at lower RPMs than gasoline engines. I would be willing to pay the extra $1k for the extra MPG
Hells yeah. So would I.

But Americans think Diesel is for trucks and don't understand the benefits.

I have no imagination.
captainzerocool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 06:46 PM   #34
Reddington

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...2C2CE9F03F2%7D

"Toyota and Isuzu have reached an accord with the understanding that they are working toward the research and development and production of small diesel engines and gas emission control, among other areas, they said."
Old 11-14-2006, 12:32 PM   #35
Yaris

Drives: 2010 LB Meteor Metallic
I would be the first to trade in my auto gasmobile for a stick diesel Yaris LB when it becomes available in Canada.
Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:38 PM   #36
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
I will certainly find a diesel Yaris attractive. Fuel economy, anyone?
swng is offline   Reply With Quote