Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-11-2010, 10:09 PM   #19
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
well the coolant is remaining the same for both cars . None from tailpipe . No coolant / water ( dipstick or when oil changed twice for dino for both ) in oil pan or oil in the coolant of either YARIS . So , we must have the one you mention . The 2010 was driven for 3 days equaling 260 miles and no oil leak with temps above 80 , as the 2008 leaked for one trip of 179 miles on one 80+ degree day . I'm almost convinced that starting both cars with synthetic at the 1,200 miles is the cause . The 2008 has had synthetic up 21,000 miles while the 2010 for little over 5,000 miles . Hopefully the lesser use of the syn will help the leak stop for the 2010 . Hate to get both engines torn down . An acquaintance had to get a head gasket replaced at 5,000 or so miles on a FORD Focus under warranty and never ran that good after the fix . We'll keep our fingers crossed to have the leaks stop .

Last edited by Hershey; 07-12-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:20 PM   #20
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

You're absolutely certain this is a head gasket, the one between the cylinder block and head? Not a cam cover gasket on top of the head? I've never known a bad head gasket to only cause an oil leak.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:34 PM   #21
Hershey

quite sure . The mechanic claimed it was , but a different spot in the same general area .
Old 07-11-2010, 11:50 PM   #22
Hershey

YARIS HILTON , if you go to the newest picture in the " 2010 Oil Leak " thread , http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...056#post490056, post no. 24 you'll see a RED CIRCLED area . In the far left you'll see a small black triangular area that's the head gasket (?) . That runs under the the lip ( cavern ) of the upper block all along the back to the other side of the block . So , has to be the plastic head gasket . The leak is on the top side of the cavern pictured ( fresh oil on fingers ) , where the plastic head gasket is more exposed , but not so easily to the human eye . That's why I needed a mirror to get that photo .

Last edited by Hershey; 07-12-2010 at 12:11 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #23
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

OK. Just checking. Unusual problem.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:11 PM   #24
Hershey

Thanks for your help and concern .
Old 09-02-2010, 10:24 PM   #25
Hershey

Brought it in for head gasket replacement earlier . Drove it in for service manager to read mileage and look the car over . When he was looking for any imperfections he said with a sarcastic tone " Don't want to get blamed for anything " . When showed him a picture of the exposed gasket I took and a picture off this site of a tore down YARIS showing where the head gasket leaks the oil he says " I don't believe anything off the internet " . Then I asked if they would check the spark plugs for any fouling in case their was a slow internal coolant leak of cylinder 1 or others and replies " Only if the head mechanic looks at them and feels they should be replaced " and " Otherwise we're going to charge you for the plugs and labor and you don't want that do you ? " . Why not under warranty ? . So he was a bit rude and ignored most of what we said and presented to him as if our heads were made of rock . Therefore it should be interesting to see how this works out . The car has been averaging over 40 m.p.g. the last 6 fill ups and if a good drop in mileage could tell of something not right with the repair . Took a pic of the fuel gage ( full ) and the miles on the car for any wrong doing .

Last edited by Hershey; 09-02-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:37 PM   #26
Hershey

forgot to mention that I opened that hood and reached behind the hot engine where it leaks and scooped some fresh oil on my finger tip and showed it to him . He wouldn't even look where the oil came from . Says " It's the head gasket and that's all I need to know " . Wonder if we should of left with the car and went to another TOYO service center ? Thing is , they would have to put dye in it again and go through the whole process again . No one seens to think that I know what I'm talking about . Taking more time and money ( gas ) . . What's your thoughts ? THANKS

Last edited by Hershey; 09-02-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #27
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
forgot to mention that I opened that hood and reached behind the hot engine where it leaks and scooped some fresh oil on my finger tip and showed it to him . He wouldn't even look where the oil came from . Says " It's the head gasket and that's all I need to know " . Wonder if we should of left with the car and went to another TOYO service center ? Thing is , they would have to put dye in it again and go through the whole process again . No one seens to think that I know what I'm talking about . Taking more time and money ( gas ) . . What's your thoughts ? THANKS
A. wouldn't need to put dye in again, it will still be traceable

B. Let him be a snot he isn't the one doing the work (you should have gone to the service DEPARTMENT mgr/similar manager, unless he gave you a card of his you probably were talking to the head service writer)

C. gas meter will not matter if they decide to run more tests, unless they empty the car, best advice is to take the car in with an almost empty tank, cuz they will more than likely have the car sitting somewhere idling with the a/c on at some point.
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:25 PM   #28
Hershey

How long does the head gasket replacement take ? Called the service manager and left message on how it was going and he called back over an hour later saying we wouldn't have it back until TUESDAY evening and the car was partially apart today and need to take their time because it's a big job and want to get it right . So thats today , tomorrow , and TESDAY for the fix . The mechanic who looked at it before said he had done a YARIS in the past . We're starting to have our doubts about what's said . They already have the head gasket and parts , so that's not holding it up . Hopefully they haven't done something wrong and are trying to correct it so to hide it from us . Do you think we should go there tomorrow to see how far along it is ? Will keep you updated . THANKS

Last edited by Hershey; 09-03-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:32 PM   #29
Shroomster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
How long does the head gasket replacement take ? Called the service manager and left message on how it was going and he called back over an hour later saying we wouldn't have it back until TUESDAY evening and the car was partially apart today and need to take their time because it's a big job and want to get it right . So thats today , tomorrow , and TESDAY for the fix . The mechanic who looked at it before said he had done a YARIS in the past . We're starting to have our doubts about what's said . They already have the head gasket and parts , so that's not holding it up . Hopefully they haven't done something wrong and are trying to correct it so to hide it from us . Do you think we should go there tomorrow to see how far along it is ? Will keep you updated . THANKS
I have no idea what book time would be for the head, I'm thinking maybe 4-6 hours...maybe more. (that's what is paid not how long it will take the individual to do the work)

I hate to say it but spiteful as it may sound, pushy customers are not what service writers and the techs like. you're being just a tad overbearing (its what I'm gathering from your posts)

You have to remember your car is not the only one there, They do not shove an-in progress car out of the way just for you. Also there are other reasons your car may not be worked on immediately, but those are too many to list.

You make an "appointment for drop off" not a "reservation for immediate service".

Let them do their job and then bitch when you get it back and something is wrong. don't take this post the wrong way I'm not talking down to you, just trying to offer some rationale.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:31 AM   #30
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
+1

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:55 PM   #31
Hershey

was told by Service Department Assistant that the service manager said that TOYOTA does not let them know if the head cylinder gasket they removed from the '08 and sent to TOYOTA was to have any defects .

Last edited by Hershey; 09-30-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:48 PM   #32
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
I have no idea what book time would be for the head, I'm thinking maybe 4-6 hours...maybe more. (that's what is paid not how long it will take the individual to do the work)

I hate to say it but spiteful as it may sound, pushy customers are not what service writers and the techs like. you're being just a tad overbearing (its what I'm gathering from your posts)

You have to remember your car is not the only one there, They do not shove an-in progress car out of the way just for you. Also there are other reasons your car may not be worked on immediately, but those are too many to list.

You make an "appointment for drop off" not a "reservation for immediate service".

Let them do their job and then bitch when you get it back and something is wrong. don't take this post the wrong way I'm not talking down to you, just trying to offer some rationale.

His issue is not the time. His issue is the man's word, which clearly wasn't kept, and he is doubtful if they can do this job properly.

I wish I could tell if my own gasket was leaking, but I have so much rustproofing underneath, I doubt I'll ever be able to say.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:00 AM   #33
Shroomster

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemachine69
His issue is not the time. His issue is the man's word, which clearly wasn't kept, and he is doubtful if they can do this job properly.
The way he typed his posts it looks to me like he has an issue with time and trust. I took it as I read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
I wish I could tell if my own gasket was leaking, but I have so much rustproofing underneath, I doubt I'll ever be able to say.
^^^^ummm what?

I gather you mean the oil pan gasket? and even if you do, There shouldn't be any undercoating on any mechanical parts.

OR if you do mean the head gasket, then finding a leak of fluid would be easy as long as it is external. At least by a mechanics standards it'd be easy to find....
Old 10-01-2010, 02:34 PM   #34
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Not rubberized undercoating. Rustproofing. A very thick, sticky, grease-like substance that repels water.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:14 PM   #35
johnny_vitz

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
Not rubberized undercoating. Rustproofing. A very thick, sticky, grease-like substance that repels water.

I think his point was that there shouldn't be any on the engine/transmission.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:14 PM   #36
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Over-spray is inevitable, as well, dripping from the hood is typical.