Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-15-2006, 11:44 PM   #19
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
what will stopyour car faster, is applying the maximum preasure to the brakesthat allow the tires to not lock up, this will give better stoping, and will alow you to stear even in the snow. But because there is such a small difference between the max preasure to keep wheele spinning, and locking up the wheels, it is alot easier to alow the abs to kick in.

i think this is what was being refered to when they said they would remove the brakes, and re-apply. The first time the ABS engaged, and the second time they did not hit the brakes as hard, andallowed the brakes to work like they are intended, without the tires locking up

that make any sence?
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:45 AM   #20
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
As I said, I have a lot of experience with ABS equipped cars.So,in my opinion it was a kind of malfunction(not a technical one, maybe a software one).The fact remains that every time I brake hard on this road, the same effect applies...
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:23 AM   #21
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
I test drove both ABS and non ABS YAris's in the snow for my test drives back in March and April.

IMO if you drive in wet conditions or snow ABS is a must.
the car is light enough that brake lock up in snow or wet raods is extremely easy and FACT is when you lock up the wheels you don't have control and in MOSt cases the car picks up speed as it looses traction.
I found with the non abs Yaris, even driving slow in town I would slip when stopping or braking in turns. In order to maintain control i had to pump the brakes like a jack rabbit. This is basically what the ABS system does automatically it prevents the wheels from locking up so you can still maintain control of where your car is going.
For instance
If someone slams on the brakes in front of you...
with non ABS if you lock up the wheel;s you slide strait, you CAN"T turn to go around the car
With ABS it applies maximum brake pressure and still allows you to steer around the car.

The EBD (Electronic Brake Force Distribution) is a feature that automatically distributes the brake load putting more pressure to the wheel/wheels with the most grip. For instance if the right front wheel is on ice and the left wheel is on dry ground it it will put more force to the left wheel then the right
07WYarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 09:16 PM   #22
tds12
This is my other ride.

Drives: Wht, M, Power 2007 yaris HB
Antilock Brake noise

Been waiting to test the antilock brakes in the yaris. Well we got 2 inches of snow today so I went for a test. I have never used antilock brakes on any other vehicle.
I stomped on the brakes going 15 MPH and it sounded like I was grinding the gears. The pedal pulsed under my foot which is normal, I guess, but that noise seemed strange.

Is it normal for the system to growl rather loud when engaged?
tds12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 04:14 PM   #23
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
Mine does the same.It is totally normal!
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 12:49 PM   #24
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
The funny thing about abs is that most people don't even know what it is.
After driving my pals car I told him that his rotors where warped. He asked how I knew and I said, how did you NOT notice the bad pulsating in the brake pedal? He told me he had ABS and that was the pulsating. I LOL at him.

I live in Chicago where the snow can pile up in a hurry. You just learn to drive more cautiously. If the ABS goes off in a non-emergency situation your doing something wrong.

Of course you cannot account for morons who pull out in front of you. ABS is nice if you don't rely on it.
acrbill is offline   Reply With Quote