Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-24-2007, 04:24 PM   #19
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by punch View Post
well so far people are liking the 3.8L, but as always wish for more, also engine swaps are happening like crazy to these new jeeps the 4.7L, the hemi, and even the srt-8 6.1L has been done...

now that the cherokee has the diesel it to will be swapped in, and I predict a diesel for the jk very soon.
The Mercede's 3.0 Turbo diesel engine is suppose be one best that's currently in production. I guess something good did come out of Mercede's ownership (300 being another one). It's surprising that Mercedes is still letting Jeep use their engine, makes me want to run out and get one before they change their mind. Too bad a city slicker like me would be hard pressed to find the proper roads (or off roads). But considering that a Diesel equipped Grand Cherokee can get 24mpg combined, the lighter JK (by about 500lbs) should return even better fuel consumption. It'd make for an ideal top-down 2nd vehicle. All I've got to do now is win the lotto.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:42 PM   #20
fantoma33

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf180th View Post
I've driven a jeep my whole life, started out with a 85 Cherokee, then an 89 YJ, and currently a 01 TJ, I go off roading with my friends all the time and go to the truck shows with our jeeps every year. I bought the yaris cause my TJ only gets 11-12mpg.
Heres a pic.
nice. what do you have for a lift kit? what size tires are those?
fantoma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:44 PM   #21
Nigal

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantoma33 View Post
I've seen a few people on this forum mention jeeps.

Last saturday I traded my jeep in towards a Yaris. While I'm sad to see the jeep gone I'm really liking the Yaris.

Who else out there is into jeeps?
I have had Jeeps for about 10 years straight. I loved my Cherokee but even when I did everything to save gas the best I could squeeze out of it was 19mpg. I thought I'd miss the space but I went on a canoing trip and got as much stuff in the back of my sedan as I would have gotten in the back of my Jeep...and averaged 39mpg.
Nigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:46 PM   #22
brpnagger

Drives: 2007 3 Door Hatch Back Yaris
we have a 05 renegade and have about 75k miles on it. Have had a few problems with it ie. ball joints but for the most part its served its purpose. getting the yaris for gas mileage. over double of the jeep
brpnagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:51 AM   #23
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Had a 95 XJ 2-door with the 4 cyl engine. It was slow, but a blast to drive; however, not such a blast when you pull up the carpet and find the seat crossmembers are all there is between you and the road
Sold it for $400, guy pop-riveted it together and still runs it today
YarisTom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 04:55 PM   #24
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Just for a larf... here's a jeep given new life as "limo" by a guy in Phillipines

Last edited by kurokoma-kun; 11-24-2008 at 09:20 AM.
kurokoma-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:30 PM   #25
cybermark

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
I can not seem to find the thread for "mature" OLD Yaris owners. I will be 73 years old tomorrow.,,,,have owned cars for 50 years, and my Polar white Yaris LB is the BEST by far......Love it. Needs no mods...very COOL as is.............................................loo k for me on hills of San Francisco ( I DO drive like an old man,,,,not old lady,,,,,,,,,,have seen too many accidents( I want to drive till 100...watch out..........)
cybermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:03 PM   #26
fantoma33

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermark View Post
I can not seem to find the thread for "mature" OLD Yaris owners. I will be 73 years old tomorrow.,,,,have owned cars for 50 years, and my Polar white Yaris LB is the BEST by far......Love it. Needs no mods...very COOL as is.............................................loo k for me on hills of San Francisco ( I DO drive like an old man,,,,not old lady,,,,,,,,,,have seen too many accidents( I want to drive till 100...watch out..........)
happy birthday. i think this is the thread you are looking for:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6376
fantoma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:57 PM   #27
YodaYaris
07 Silver Sedan

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
Had a 1992 YJ with 3 1/2" lift and 33's...Sold that to buy a 05 TJ...traded that to buy an 07 yaris Sedan.

I miss the wave :(
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2007, 10:57 PM   #28
nicholmikey

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch
Poor jeep....

Quote:

Who else out there is into jeeps?
I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee before the Yaris, that was the worst fuel economy ever.

But the 4 wheel drive was priceless in the winter.

Miss my jeep, but love my Yaris.
nicholmikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:33 AM   #29
Nigal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholmikey View Post
I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee before the Yaris, that was the worst fuel economy ever.

But the 4 wheel drive was priceless in the winter.

Miss my jeep, but love my Yaris.
Have you had the Yaris in the snow yet? I was simply amazed at the crap I was able to get through last year. Plus if ya get stuck you can just pick up the car and carry it over the snow drift. LOL!
Old 06-27-2007, 12:17 PM   #30
eureeca
I've made a post!

Drives: Miata/Rubicon/Yaris Soon?
I just sold my '05 Rubicon, and I have an '80 CJ-7 project. Once I got hooked on the idea of the Yaris (which I hope to own within the next year), the 16mpg and sub-par build quality just hurt too bad. Loved the Rubi, but I'm glad I don't have to watch it rust while I make payments.
eureeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:46 AM   #31
sf180th
Back in USA in days!

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to sf180th
Quote:
nice. what do you have for a lift kit? what size tires are those?
It's a 4 inch ProComp lift with 33x12.5 MTR's
Kazera KZ-V Silver Rims, with 215-35-18 Kumho ESCTA ASX, TRD Springs, TRD Sway Bar, Fujita CAI, Blitz R-Vit i-Color, Blitz Throttle Controller, Megan Header, 2.25 Stainless Cat back Exhuast, 50 Series Flowmaster muffler, 6000k HID.
sf180th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:47 PM   #32
LuckySweetheart

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sport Sedan
My new Toyota Yaris is the first new car I've bought, and the first non-Jeep I've owned.

I've owned a 1985 Jeep Cherokee, a 1995 Jeep Cherokee, and a 1990 Jeep Cherokee.

I'm really, really happy with my new Yaris.
LuckySweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:17 PM   #33
la panique
zhen zhong, it's big!

Had a '96 Grand Cherokee Limited as a hand-me down for my first car. Loved it, and man, was it fast. It's been through it all, it's still in the family, over 310,000 miles on the clock. Not to mention, for a year of it's life, it was in the shifting hands of numerous owners after it was stolen from a shop. The next year, the car was recovered and returned to it's home.
la panique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:26 PM   #34
Nigal

My wife and I picked up a new Jeep Compass a few weeks ago. Damn thing was loaded to the gills with extras. It's getting maybe 23 mpg average but it doesn't even have a 1,000 miles yet. I'm hoping the mileage goes up some when the engine breaks in.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:14 PM   #35
bandit1200

Drives: HB
had a Grand Cherokee always started in the winter and never let me down when it snowed,sure do miss that Jeep
bandit1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:12 AM   #36
blueskana

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
I used to have a 78' with Quadratrac that I had alot of fun in. In 03' I picked up my TJ, which I've been working on steadily ever since. Right now it's got a full 6 point custom roll cage with halos, window and dash bars, welded through the body to the frame. Racing buckets and harnesses. Removed rear seating, stripped interior. Dana 44's out of a Dodge 1/2 ton, custom steering linkage, sway bars removed front and rear, Milemarker 9000, Goodyear MTR 37x12.5's, American Racing Teflon Mojaves, Hella's, LED converted tailights, chopped fenders, Poison Spyder stinger, Rockcrusher covers, Warn premiums, AA super-shorty SYE conversion, u-bolt yolk conversion, "high-flow" cat, shortened side exit exhaust, magnaflow glasspack. I have it aimed toward crawling, so instead of lifting it much, I cut away alot of sheetmetal to fit the tires. The lift is maybe 2-2.5", but the rubber clears, it sits low (for it's size) and is capable of some intense angles due to it's suspension set-up. I extended the bumpstops to limit uptravel and run 12" stroke set for extension. Want to ge OX's for it F&R soon and re-gear to 4.88 or 5.13.
She's a great little rig, and we've had alot of fun over the years. Plenty of scars, scares and close calls! Ha, ha, ha. She's reaaaaally looking forward to the move to Colorado to put her more in her element. I love my Yari as well, and I think they balance each other out nicely... they are almost the same color; kind of looks like my jeep had a little baby when they are parked next to each other! LOL. I hope I never have to sell it, and I'll be able to drive it to dust, putting around in it 20 years from now.
Yari and Jeeps FTMFW.
blueskana is offline   Reply With Quote