Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-01-2008, 03:31 PM   #19
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
I see photos and it only attaches to the rear trailing links - if I'm seeing correct. FU I'm way off if you dont even know yourself - I've setup many a race chassis for comp Porsche 914/6, 944, 968, Mazda RX, Datsun, Renault You? Huh?

And DEADEND, I wasnt trashing TOY's just about sway bars in general defeating independant suspension. Unsprum mas is more important a criterion than independent operation

Sonjas Bro
Sorry, but I'm going to have to question this guys actual knowledge on cars. Just because you've setup race chassis, doesn't mean you know what you're talking about. And most people who brag about crap like that, typically over compensate for something.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:32 PM   #20
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09TRD View Post
Whatever...

It's a $13K car with some TRD aftermarket suspension parts. I'm not going to get too concerned over the particular semantics. I just hope it's reliable, doesn't squeak or rattle and offers a reasonable degree of driving entertainment for the money.
Oh, you'll get those for sure. I just thought TRD offered a TRD package for the Yaris, and sold it as a TRD Yaris. I was just started to get mad at Toyota.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:46 PM   #21
Saggio
Top Notch!

Drives: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddongbap View Post
And most people who brag about crap like that, typically over compensate for something.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA This thread is getting good!
Saggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:45 PM   #22
Split

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Exclamation

Quote:
It's a sad reality.

Of course, the Corvette has many attributes that the Yaris can't even dream about.

Still, there is simply no excuse for the Corvette's substandard build quality. The MSRP on my '09 was $54,495. EVERYTHING about the car should be at least as good as the Yaris's, yet it's not.

The Corvette has been back to the dealership 6 times in the five weeks I've owned it. The latest issue is what sounds like a rattling seatbelt retractor (directly in my left ear over certain bumps). That's all in addition to having to pay a private upholstery shop $850 to "reconstruct" the driver's seat so that I could actually sit in and drive the car.

soon you'll trade your corvette and yaris in for a lexus IS-F. V8 + toyota build quality. i know you want a 2 seater, but toyota doesn't make one anymore :(
Split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:34 PM   #23
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
The time has come........ you have taken delivery......

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:24 PM   #24
DeadEnd

Drives: 88 Rolla, 01 Tundra, 09 Yaris
Quote:
I see photos and it only attaches to the rear trailing links - if I'm seeing correct. FU I'm way off if you dont even know yourself - I've setup many a race chassis for comp Porsche 914/6, 944, 968, Mazda RX, Datsun, Renault You? Huh?

And DEADEND, I wasnt trashing TOY's just about sway bars in general defeating independant suspension. Unsprum mas is more important a criterion than independent operation

Sonjas Bro
As other members of this forum have said the rear sway bar helps. And FYI the rear suspension on a Yaris is not IRS. Im guessing the only work you've done on a race chassis is wax the car after it was built. P.S. i've done my fair share of modding cars for my age and experience and I won't brag about it.
DeadEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:27 PM   #25
m911gt
Carless in Chicago

Drives: 08 Blk LB
:o :)

Wisconsin members FTW!

Some say that he is the secret love child of Ferrari and Porsche, and others say that he would lap James May twice in a 1/4 mile drag race. All we know is that he is called The Stig.
m911gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:05 PM   #26
madyaris
kegtoter

Drives: 3D Hatch
Send a message via AIM to madyaris
+1 just to see some flames. Plus I am dying to see the Yairs and Vette together. Hmmm...I should take a picture of my stable. It is an interesting combo to say the least...
madyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:06 PM   #27
madyaris
kegtoter

Drives: 3D Hatch
Send a message via AIM to madyaris
Pics of the 2 together would be delightful. Are you happy with the Y so far?

From one newbie here to the other. Aloha!

Quote:
I'm taking delivery of my blue, 5 speed manal Yaris 3 door liftback today. I got option group "D" and had the dealer install spalshguards and the TRD springs, shocks and rear anti-roll bar.

This is going to be my winter car.

My "three season" car is a 2009 Z51 Corvette. I took the Yaris for a quick "test drive" last week after they had installed the TRD stuff. In some ways I prefer the Yaris to the Corvette. The Yaris is quieter, offers better visibility, superior clutch and shifter feel, superior seating and superior overall build quality.

Obviously those truisms didn't go over at all well on the Corvette forum, but that doesn't change the facts.

I was surprised at how smoothly the Yaris road with the TRD stuff. I was expecting something that road like a skateboard, yet that's not the case. The car doesn't feel underpowered, either, and actually seemed surprisingly "frisky."
madyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:49 PM   #28
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Cool, sorry to hear about the Vette tho. Hope you enjoy the Yaris.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:02 PM   #29
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
Dude you bought the wrong car if you don't want squeeks and rattling lol.

Quote:
Whatever...

It's a $13K car with some TRD aftermarket suspension parts. I'm not going to get too concerned over the particular semantics. I just hope it's reliable, doesn't squeak or rattle and offers a reasonable degree of driving entertainment for the money.
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:55 AM   #30
drbilal

Drives: BELTA SEDAN
All this talk and no PICS.
drbilal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 05:44 AM   #31
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
Quote:
I have prepped high performance cars in Europe, That TRD option is not an "anti roll bar or "sway bar" in the TRD kit it just stiffens the twist beam axle to higher torsional spring rate. A correct anti sway would have bushing attachments to the underbody and link to the lower axle locating arms. It will have an effect of stiffening the rear roll rate though. I find it funny peopple pay $$ for independant suspension then add sway bars to front axle that ties the suspension together. Why not use solid axle to begin with?? Dumb engineering.

- S' Brother
You got it both right and wrong.

You're right that the Yaris has a torsion beam rear suspension, and you're right that a proper roll/anti-roll/sway/anti-sway bar should pivot on fixed attachment points on the car's chassis, so the TRD bar isn't that sort of bar in the conventional sense.

What it is however is a stiffening bar, which achieves that roll reduction effect, and I think that it is justly called an anti-roll bar.

But you seem to imply that it is stupid to run anti roll bars on any sort of independent suspension design. Perhaps you should tell that to the Formula 1 teams. It is an essential tuning variable that allows weight to be transferred from a loaded to an unloaded wheel when the vehicle turns.
TTE Lowering Springs, Camber bolts
TRD Blue brake pads
Fujitsubo Super Wagolis axleback exhaust
DC Sports header
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:04 AM   #32
djgab101

Drives: toyota yaris
djgab101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:13 AM   #33
andries
aka Jack Wolfskin

Drives: Yaris
Send a message via MSN to andries
Mine is still located by customs in my country. The are very slow.
Can't wait until he is mounted so I can make a test drive.
andries is offline   Reply With Quote