Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-19-2010, 11:37 AM   #19
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
I still need an upper for the AR-15 I still haven't decided yet. HOLY HELL HOW DO I RESIZE?!

[IMG=300x200]http://i53.tinypic.com/oaav69.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG=300x200]http://i54.tinypic.com/2dt3luv.jpg[/IMG]
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:27 PM   #20
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
I'm just glad I live somewhere that doesn't make me feel like I need a "daily carry", or ANY "carry", come to that. I have a 20-gauge side-by-side and a Winchester 52 target rifle, all locked up snug - haven't pulled them out for use since we sold the farm. Travelling anywhere in New England, I have yet to feel "the need" for a carry-along. And that suits me fine.
Well, Rhode Island is considerably safe; but since the population of the entire state is about half of the metro area of the city I live in, I wonder if that's because there's no one around!

Seriously, the crime stats for RI are low; but there were still 2,660 violent crimes there in 2009 (to include 39 murders, 287 forceable rapes, 786 robberies, 1,556 assaults) for a population just slightly over one million people, so it isn't like crime doesn't exist!

Heck, even in this metro are of well over two million, the chances of being a victim of a violent crime are low; but they go much lower when you have the ability to defend yourself!

I guess it's just the life of a sheepdog...

Cheers! M2
Old 12-19-2010, 10:45 PM   #21
Goose
Car Geek

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Another vote for 9mm here. Since practice/familiarity with the weapon is your best friend you don't want to drive yourself to the poorhouse with ammo consumption.

Practice with the cheapest ammo you can find, and shoot plenty; the best weapon in the world isn't worth much if you're not comfortable with it.

'07 Blazing Blue 5-speed liftback (sold)
'08 Black auto liftback (sold)
'09 Carmine Red auto 4-door liftback (sold)
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:50 PM   #22
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Theres a funny video here if you have time to check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evr_tP9cJWY

says something in it like "I heard all calibers don't matter unless it begins with a .4*" LOL pretty funny.

But don't get a plinker .22, if you ever need to use it, youll see its like shooting pebbles at someone. It may hurt, but they'll still have time to come at you most likely. And I doubt you're going to use a head shot to protect yourself. I certainly couldn't do it.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:36 AM   #23
TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Banned

Drives: '08 Lexus IS-F
Send a message via AIM to TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus1155 View Post
I still need an upper for the AR-15 I still haven't decided yet. HOLY HELL HOW DO I RESIZE?!
Rock River Arms. That is all I have to say.

I have one that I've built throughout this year, and one more in the making.. Excellent craftsmanship.

Sponsored by: Micro Image
http://microimageonline.com
TEHxFALLEN V1.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:13 AM   #24
elmo
WFO

Drives: 2008 hb
call me old fashion if you will; my handgun of choice is a Smith&Wesson 357 with a 4" barrel my thoughts are if you can't stop it with 6 you shouldn't be allowed to carry a gun
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:56 AM   #25
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

I liked the rock river arms, I was going to get a rail from them. Even the spikes or the stag ones, but the prices fluctuate so much is insane. and I can't have one with a flash hider on it unless I feel like removing it.

I want something thats 1:7 twist with a chrome lined barrel with either a comp or no comp on it for around $450. I know thats a pretty decent price range especially not included the BCG.

I like the six shooters, I never had a chance to use one yet.

Last edited by Nexus1155; 12-20-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:59 AM   #26
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Well, Rhode Island is considerably safe; but since the population of the entire state is about half of the metro area of the city I live in, I wonder if that's because there's no one around!

Seriously, the crime stats for RI are low; but there were still 2,660 violent crimes there in 2009 (to include 39 murders, 287 forceable rapes, 786 robberies, 1,556 assaults) for a population just slightly over one million people, so it isn't like crime doesn't exist!

<snip>
In '09, we had 83 road traffic deaths versus 39 murders, so it is still statistically safer (in a lose-your-life way) to walk around unprotected than to drive a car.
I'm working on the assumption that I'm safe from rape, of course....
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:08 AM   #27
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I'm about to pick up a Khyber Pass AK-47 clone later this morning...

Speaking of AKs, if you really want a powerful handgun; this is classified as a pistol under Federal law...

Thirty rounds of 7.62x39! Heck, if I used the Bulgarian drum I have, you can bump that number up to 75!

So technically in states where an individual has legal authorization, it can be carried concealed; but I doubt most local law enforcement agencies know that!

It can also be converted to a Short-Barreled Rifle by adding a stock but only after getting ATF approval (Form 1) and acquiring a $200 tax stamp.

Additionally, as it is a pistol, you cannot add the traditional Romanian "donkey dong" front grip without the aforementioned ATF approval/$200 tax stamp as adding it changes its classification to being an "Any Other Weapon" (AOW, a broad "catch-all" category used to regulate any number of firearms which the ATF deems deserving of registration and taxation) under the 1934 National Firearms Act.

Cheers! M2
Old 12-20-2010, 10:20 AM   #28
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
Quote:
In '09, we had 83 road traffic deaths versus 39 murders, so it is still statistically safer (in a lose-your-life way) to walk around unprotected than to drive a car.
I'm working on the assumption that I'm safe from rape, of course....
Double check driving habits, DUI's, and people not wearing their seatbelts, and you can cut down that statistic by quite a bit. Most people are idiots behind the wheel and the very same people shouldn't be operating firearms either.

What the driving statistic says to me isn't that we should prevent all people from driving or owning guns. No, it says to me that we need STRICTER driver's license requirements, testing, training, and issuance. I don't understand people who flip out about guns when there are people flying around on the roads in giant machinery that is just as dangerous. Get the morons off the road. . . just as you should keep guns out of the hands of morons too.

I've been robbed before. . . and I've been assaulted too (both in the USA). Hey, I was "jumped" by 10+ drunk college dudes wanting to "brawl." And I've also been crashed into by other cars. . . once by a police officer that ran a red light with his lights on but no siren (and I was on a motorcycle at the time). Now I can't exactly "defend" myself against other drivers (there is only so much you can do, defensively). You can't exactly shoot at someone before they crash into you. But you can definitely stop a robbery in progress. . .
Old 12-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #29
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by djct_watt View Post
Double check driving habits, DUI's, and people not wearing their seatbelts, and you can cut down that statistic by quite a bit. Most people are idiots behind the wheel and the very same people shouldn't be operating firearms either.

What the driving statistic says to me isn't that we should prevent all people from driving or owning guns. No, it says to me that we need STRICTER driver's license requirements, testing, training, and issuance. I don't understand people who flip out about guns when there are people flying around on the roads in giant machinery that is just as dangerous. Get the morons off the road. . . just as you should keep guns out of the hands of morons too.

I've been robbed before. . . and I've been assaulted too (both in the USA). Hey, I was "jumped" by 10+ drunk college dudes wanting to "brawl." And I've also been crashed into by other cars. . . once by a police officer that ran a red light with his lights on but no siren (and I was on a motorcycle at the time). Now I can't exactly "defend" myself against other drivers (there is only so much you can do, defensively). You can't exactly shoot at someone before they crash into you. But you can definitely stop a robbery in progress. . .
Watt - we're going to have to agree to disagree. I live in an area where we don't get "10+ drunk college dudes" wanting to brawl. I don't get to areas where I'm likely to meet them, either. By choice.

I'm an old phart of 55, and I love where I live and how I live. No fear! ;-)
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #30
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
wow...i just asked which caliber to buy...didnt know that i'd open a can of worms here about drunk drivers, rapists and ak-47's and m-16's

i'll stick with 9mm becuase like mentioned so many times already they're deadly, accurate, cheap and effective. enough for me...not to mention the pistol i'm wanting is in that caliber, length, color combo, and manufacturer i want, unlike the .40 and .45.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:41 PM   #31
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
I own and sometimes carry a .40.

However I'd go with a 9mm if I'm buying another one. Less recoil and better triggers = easier to hit what you're aiming at. Also, more practice > less.

I'm well practiced with my .40, but fact remains the recoil knocks that thing off very easily, which makes it more time consuming to achieve good accurate shots when I'm at the range. I beat and/or match the accuracy of my friends who have 9mm, but I take longer time to re-aim.

Also, hundreds of rounds of .40 will wear on your biceps :(
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:40 PM   #32
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
Quote:
Watt - we're going to have to agree to disagree. I live in an area where we don't get "10+ drunk college dudes" wanting to brawl. I don't get to areas where I'm likely to meet them, either. By choice.

I'm an old phart of 55, and I love where I live and how I live. No fear! ;-)
I'm not forcing my beliefs on you, just saying not everyone can be as fortunate as you. As you can tell from my post, I don't live there anymore. But some people cannot choose where they live and where they find jobs. Not everyone has that luxury. But yeah, stats like the one you posted make me far less concerned about the people who (legally) bought guns than I am over DUI offenders still being allowed to drive.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:49 PM   #33
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
I agree with the getting the gun that has the least expensive practice ammo for your daily carry. Never mind that most the world uses 9mm with great success.
Quote:
I'm just glad I live somewhere that doesn't make me feel like I need a "daily carry", or ANY "carry", come to that. I have a 20-gauge side-by-side and a Winchester 52 target rifle, all locked up snug - haven't pulled them out for use since we sold the farm. Travelling anywhere in New England, I have yet to feel "the need" for a carry-along. And that suits me fine.
I think there are maybe 6 or so areas in all of new england that must be avoided, the rest are all ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post

Heck, even in this metro are of well over two million, the chances of being a victim of a violent crime are low; but they go much lower when you have the ability to defend yourself!

I guess it's just the life of a sheepdog...

Cheers! M2
NE is safe. There are a few parts of boston where you should not tread, and maybe the same can be said for a few of the smaller cities, but that is about it.

While I am a fan of guns, and will eventually get a license to carry, I have never felt I needed one. And if you avoid the cities, there is almost no violent crime. Even in the college cities, there just aren't those type of incidents.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:13 AM   #34
Dragracer
Yaris Noobie

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3 Door
This is where I bought my flat top upper:

http://www.rguns.net/rifles/rifles-s...6-16Inch.shtml

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus1155 View Post

[IMG=300x200]http://i53.tinypic.com/oaav69.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG=300x200]http://i54.tinypic.com/2dt3luv.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-24-2010, 06:20 PM   #35
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

I'll check out that link, I am trying to find out about the laws of building firearms.

As, you can buy a parts kit for an AK, make your own receiver without serial #'s and it won't be illegal.
I know I can do this in MA

Also, no automatics here pretty much ever.

What I am trying to do is build a short barreled uzi that is semi auto. I'm trying to figure if that is legal as well even if it is short barreled.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:29 AM   #36
kiteslinger

Drives: new
Q and A's can be found here;

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php
kiteslinger is offline   Reply With Quote