Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-31-2006, 12:27 AM   #19
AE86Yaris

Drives: 85 AE86/blazing blue 07
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles
That kind of sucks. Torque is the thing this car lacks the most. Someone put individual throttle bodies on a Yaris and post a how-to. It would be the meanest n/a economy car on earth.
this statement makes no sense
AE86Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 11:30 AM   #20
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Yeah, you're kind of right. I was probably stoned. Sorry.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 07:01 PM   #21
soros151
Another question... :D

Drives: Scion tC 06
Quote:
That kind of sucks. Torque is the thing this car lacks the most. Someone put individual throttle bodies on a Yaris and post a how-to. It would be the meanest n/a economy car on earth.
the car may suffer with an individual throttle body on the torque part, since maybe it will take so much air that head won't b able to keep up. There is already a follow up of individual throttle bodies for the xA and the xB.
http://scionevolution.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7172

There u go!
Old 08-31-2006, 07:54 PM   #22
AE86Yaris

Drives: 85 AE86/blazing blue 07
Quote:
Yeah, you're kind of right. I was probably stoned. Sorry.
there are 2 reason for Individual throttle bodies

1) to help idle a aggressive cam

2) to maximize a aggressive cam

i've driven 4age with ITBS and no cam upgrade and there have a lot less torque than my 4age with stock manifold and no cam. Unless the xA has some crazy camshaft it will see a loss in low end torque. ITBs are for those that only want extreme topend out of there engine, with little or no bottom end to speek of.

so basically stock camshafts have no need for ITBs and therefore it is only for show cars which is therefore linked with being lame, real car guys actually race.
AE86Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 04:30 PM   #23
dresden_k
Honda Convert

Drives: NCP91L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake
go with 2.25" piping and you wont see any loss of anything
just get rid of the 2 cat setup and install only 1 high flow cat with no resonators, just a muffler at the end of the setup to free up some hp
you will notice a big gain to aid with the header install
You want a 2.25" exhaust pipe on a car with a weak 1.5L engine?

2.25" is ideal for an engine with twice the horsepower. With a pipe that big you'll be making that stupid, ghetto "farting" noise all around town, and I imagine you'll lose power throughout most of the range. My H22A with headwork had a 2.5" exhaust and it farted from time to time. Too *little* backpressure.

My recommendation - 2" pipe at the MOST. If you get some turbo set up, 2.25" would work - even 2.5" at the extreme end of things. In the meantime, 2". I will agree that a single high flow cat is better than two OEM cats.
dresden_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:07 AM   #24
BulletProofAuto

Drives: 00 itr
there is no "too large" piping diameter for turbo, as for n/a yes there is. i wouldn't go any larger then 56mm for piping with this motor. it seems as though most aftermarket companies are sticking to the 54mm diameter. everything has to do with exhaust velocity, you want optimum velocity...backpressure will only slow it down and force the engine to work harder to pump out the exhaust gases.
BulletProofAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:02 AM   #25
soros151

Yhea, nothing its too big for a turbo. Go ahead use a a 5" diameter piping then.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:05 PM   #26
heylookitsjames
maintenance of momentum

Drives: 2007 5spd 3dr
just run 18" runners on your ITB manifold and you wont lose any torque
heylookitsjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:30 PM   #27
DTM_Yaris
Turbo Yaris

Drives: 07 PW Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by john@bp View Post
there is no "too large" piping diameter for turbo, as for n/a yes there is. i wouldn't go any larger then 56mm for piping with this motor. it seems as though most aftermarket companies are sticking to the 54mm diameter. everything has to do with exhaust velocity, you want optimum velocity...backpressure will only slow it down and force the engine to work harder to pump out the exhaust gases.
Im sorry but this post is not quite right.
DTM_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:31 PM   #28
DTM_Yaris
Turbo Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by soros151 View Post
Yhea, nothing its too big for a turbo. Go ahead use a a 5" diameter piping then.
This one is very wrong. Exhaust theory still applies. Regardless of the fact that it has a hairdryer attached to it.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:31 PM   #29
soros151

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM_Yaris View Post
This one is very wrong. Exhaust theory still applies. Regardless of the fact that it has a hairdryer attached to it.
Well, u would want the turbo to spool as fast as it can to achieve the boost u want. So there is no lag, if u don't believe me then, do the research, and then answer me back. It may not seem right, but u would need to deal with backpressure in N/A trim. For turbo, flow efficiency is the right point. Why do you think a 2.5" to 3" piping for a turbo tC (2.4) is a good idea? Because u need to let the turbo move the exhaust gasses faster to help spool time, also N/A needs thermal capacity in the piping to retain exhaust velocity, that's why backpressure is still needed. Go turbo... no need for too much backpressure since thermal capacity is there with the gases and temps from the turbo itself.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:56 PM   #30
DTM_Yaris
Turbo Yaris

Quote:
Well, u would want the turbo to spool as fast as it can to achieve the boost u want. So there is no lag, if u don't believe me then, do the research, and then answer me back. It may not seem right, but u would need to deal with backpressure in N/A trim. For turbo, flow efficiency is the right point. Why do you think a 2.5" to 3" piping for a turbo tC (2.4) is a good idea? Because u need to let the turbo move the exhaust gasses faster to help spool time, also N/A needs thermal capacity in the piping to retain exhaust velocity, that's why backpressure is still needed. Go turbo... no need for too much backpressure since thermal capacity is there with the gases and temps from the turbo itself.
I've done the research for many years. Actually since 1990. Ive been turbocharging for over a decade and a half. I am pretty sure I have seen and developed a few things in my time.
I think you are misunderstanding the term backpressure. There isn't an internal combustion powerplant in this or any world that wants or needs backpressure to make power.
If there is ANY backpressure in an exhaust system, then there is something wrong. Meaning something is clogged or capped. Completely restricting flow in one direction. Pressure "backing" up towards is original source.

Now exhaust capacity, harmonics, velocity, thermodynamics, etc are completely different terms to concider.
There is absolutely NO rule book on exhaust size or geometry. It needs to be mapped and trialed.
When FI guys discuss large diameter downpipes, it isn't to say bigger is better. On a typical turbo application bigger is NOT better. It is about differential pressure. The pressure on the inlet of the turbine in relation to the exit side of the turbine. The bigger the "downpipe" the better does not work. It makes absolutley no sense, because you still need velocity to get you thru the rest of the exhaust system as efficiently as possible. Of course without limiting capacity. The SIZE of the downpipe will depend on how much airflow you need to process thru the engine. That is the only determining factor. NA or not.

Normally NA engines like to be a bit more conservative on diameter because they need to scavenge thru the ports. Limiting, predicting and "organizing" the exhaust pulses in such a way as to increase volumetric efficiency. On some cylinder head designs with Identical displacement engines, primary runner and collector sizing can vary 1/2 to 1 1/2 inches.

Again there isn't any concrete "this is what you need for na" rulebook on exhaust systems.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:05 AM   #31
DTM_Yaris
Turbo Yaris

Quote:
Well, u would want the turbo to spool as fast as it can to achieve the boost u want. So there is no lag, .
It doesn't matter if you have absolutely NO EXHAUST you will NOT get rid of "lag".
It is inherent to the size and design of the turbocharger. It takes heat energy to spin the rotating mass.
Heat energy needs to expand on the turbine blade. Having a two inch downpipe and having a 5 inch downpipe will not get rid of "lag"
Boost threshold (turbo lag) is dependent on the engines ability to produce the required energy to spin the turbine.
Now CAN you decrease the "lag" time slightly with a better pressure differential? Yes you can. If the ENTIRE system that is on the car is restrictive. By increasing the size of the downpipe off the turbo, it can aid in quicker turbo response. Very mildy however.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:30 AM   #32
soros151

Well I posted earlier that it would not be wise to use anything TOO BIG, so there u go. While there isn't a guide, there are certain knows in performance. Experience, and reading, and reading and reading and studing helps a lot. Once u have gathered every bit of info, re-read everything and take unbacked knowledge (read: forums) as a grain of salt, yet take them into account like personal opinions and maybe builder tips.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:02 PM   #33
Notthy[Yaris/S]07

Drives: Yaris Sedan 07
a friend who has a Yaris HB said to me that I install header to him of xB and single he had to modify cats and to put one high flow and ready

that is what I want to do.....
Tanabe NF2210 Suspension
Two AudioPipe 12 Inches for Bass with 1000 Watts Amp BOSS
17 Inches Rims
Ground Wire
Notthy[Yaris/S]07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 05:41 PM   #34
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Get the Megan header MADE for your Yairs.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 06:39 PM   #35
DTM_Yaris
Turbo Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris07LB View Post
Get the Megan header MADE for your Yairs.
Yup what he said.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:46 PM   #36
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Weapon R installed a Scion header on a Yaris with BAD results. You can look up for that thread.
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote