Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-13-2009, 05:28 PM   #19
bobselectric
Kickin' Yaris

Drives: 07 Yaris liftback
No one is denying that President-Elect Obama is a really bright guy, probably the most educated president in the history of the nation. My point is that once you get the education, lifes experience should shape what your views are- not your college professors.
President-Elect Obama has had a wealth of experience maturing as only an African-American (in relation to most other politicians from senator and up) could experience. He has not had much experience as the leader of any group- this could be good and it could be bad. To say he is a great president because he has two degrees from one of the top learning institutions is premature, and a swipe at "lesser" presidents such as Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe and Lincoln
bobselectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:30 PM   #20
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
I think the first line of the speach sets the tone. I have no doubt that PE Obama will deliver a speach that will become historic.

I am going to sit back and watch the fireworks. Since there is only one person in the oval office..... he will be the focal point of everything regardless if it is inherited or not.

There are a hundreds of good speakers Reagan was one, Kennedy was one, Obama is one however being a good speaker is NOT related to a person's education. One of the greatest speakers in all of history never spent a day in college nor did he have a degree!

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:34 PM   #21
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
He has not had much experience as the leader of any group
The Harvard Law Review and the most prolific campaign in modern political history don't count for much, eh?

I'd stack those up against the SAG and a governorship any day. Arnold is the current governor of California, mind you. Maybe HE should be president, since he is more qualified.

And about speaking, trust I have a deep respect for the power of persuasion. I in no way believe being a good speaker makes you a good leader or a just man. Hitler?
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:00 PM   #22
bobselectric
Kickin' Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
The Harvard Law Review and the most prolific campaign in modern political history don't count for much, eh?

I'd stack those up against the SAG and a governorship any day. Arnold is the current governor of California, mind you. Maybe HE should be president, since he is more qualified.

And about speaking, trust I have a deep respect for the power of persuasion. I in no way believe being a good speaker makes you a good leader or a just man. Hitler?
You miss my point- I'm not implying that Arnold has more qualifications for the presidency, nor that President-Elect Obama has zero leadership experience. My point is that the collegiate experience and real world experience are vastly different and that I would reserve my judgment on the legacy of the Obama Presidency until it has passed.
I also take it that you don't remember the Carter campaign in '76- that was the most prolific campaign in political history, taking a relatively unknown Georgia peanut farmer and electing him to the governorship of a southern state and vaulting him into the presidency in 4 years. Carter was no one, even after he was elected governor.
I hope President Obama exceeds the expectations that everyone has for President-Elect Obama, and thusly earns his greatness- rather than having it thrust upon him. No truly great person has been given his greatness- he has forged it and earned it himself
Old 01-13-2009, 06:08 PM   #23
Bob_VT

So you are comparing Hitler to Obama? Have you read the Harvard Law Review? You are basing PE Obama's potential on his education...... correct?

Stop twisting what is being said! Bobselectric was saying Reagan was a great orator which come from the ability to speak to cameras. That is where the SAG comes in.

Just a simple FYI the greatest orator was Jesus...... not educated with degrees.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:13 PM   #24
bobselectric
Kickin' Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_VT View Post
Just a simple FYI the greatest orator was Jesus...... not educated with degrees.
yeah-but who wrote his stuff-GOD- it's easy to be eloquent when GOD writes your stuff
Old 01-13-2009, 06:17 PM   #25
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Pulling it back to the post, the idea of a Big Governement is not the right choice. We've seen it fall into the wrong hands and the housing bubble was the soap, so to speak. Too much lathering put us where we are now and it's time to stop it, cough ahembarneyfrankjimmycarterahem cough
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:21 PM   #26
Bob_VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobselectric View Post
yeah-but who wrote his stuff-GOD- it's easy to be eloquent when GOD writes your stuff
Huh so even his writer didn't have a degree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
Pulling it back to the post, the idea of a Big Governement is not the right choice. We've seen it fall into the wrong hands and the housing bubble was the soap, so to speak. Too much lathering put us where we are now and it's time to stop it, cough ahembarneyfrankjimmycarterahem cough
You got the dem flu?

Old 01-13-2009, 06:22 PM   #27
ChinoCharles
Banned

Jesus can't be the greatest orator ever. He isn't even on YouTube.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:25 PM   #28
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Jesus can't be the greatest orator ever. He isn't even on YouTube.
Off topic:

On Topic:

The pork will comma with Obama, I'm just saying
Old 01-13-2009, 06:27 PM   #29
ChinoCharles
Banned

I need to unsubscribe from this thread before I start swearing. Politics I can argue about and stay somewhat classy. Religion? Erm no. Later all, have fun!
Old 01-13-2009, 06:33 PM   #30
bobselectric
Kickin' Yaris

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JKIZ7j20EA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjWDrTXMgF8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhXeZ453ux4, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75V2socOEVc

Examples- I hope that President-Elect Obama could make me feel the way these clips do
Old 01-13-2009, 06:59 PM   #31
Bob_VT

I remember every one of those!

Old 01-13-2009, 07:16 PM   #32
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
So I guess we're in for 4 years of comparison to Reagan. Fair enough.

As for Jesus, I find it hard to attribute anything written in The Bible as the actual words he may or may not have spoken given the fact that most of what is written of him and his 'speeches' was done after the fact and through the filter of hundreds of years after his death. Needless to say the words themselves are some of the most profound. It's a shame most people can't abide by them much less avoid the trap of spinning his teachings to match ones own point of view.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:00 PM   #33
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Drives: 2008 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_VT View Post
Well, seeing as how we don't have any actual transcripts of his speeches, nobody can say for certain that that is true.

Sure, Christianity has spread throughout the world and has had many followers but it's a fact that the Bible wasn't written until hundreds of years after his death. He never actually addressed millions in his speeches, he simply addressed a few and his beliefs were spread by word of mouth. We've all played the game "telephone" when we were kids right? You remember how messed up that original message got by the end of the line? Imagine how different the speeches were passing through centuries and thousands of different mouths. He was a fantastic symbol of how kind and selfless a human being could be, but I definitely wouldn't categorize him as the greatest orator. That is one thing we sadly won't ever know...

That is, until Doc Brown perfects that Mr. Fusion and tricks out his Delorean.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:20 PM   #34
kou

Drives: 08 lb
jesus couldnt even talk his way out of crucifixion...blasphemy you say. there are other religions way before that of jesus and the jews. Zoroastrian religion was around 6 century B.C and is pretty much what every other religion is based on,all stories to control the will of man.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:48 PM   #35
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Anywho...the post
Old 01-13-2009, 11:47 PM   #36
dlinkwit27

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaidTimeOff View Post
You say you don't want to get in an argument, but you're essentially putting down the person whom you quoted with your own quote. I'm just sayin'...
he thinks he is being clever. I will try to.

"As empty vessels make the loudest sound, so they that have least wit are the greatest babblers."
–Plato

Now let us all see who has the most posts in this thread.

So far I think bob is in the lead with around 8.
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote