Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-16-2009, 02:31 PM   #19
drifto

Drives: 07 5spd Yaris LB
Send a message via MSN to drifto
thanks for the input everyone. i will consider adding this in the near future as my experience gets better. for now however i think that learning my cars characteristics without the throttle controller first, will make adding it in the future much more benificial as i will know my cars limits and weaknesses fully by that point. for now im going to focus on picking up some decent tires (star specs), and possibly those nifty little adjustable camber bolts Garm is selling...

07 Yaris LB 5spd
AE86 Corolla GTS 5spd
http://microimage.ning.com/
http://www.microimageonline.com/store.html
drifto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:59 PM   #20
drifto

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurokoma-kun View Post
ah ok, I was trying to think of things you didn't have yet, you need to update your garage!
damn i totally forgot about my garage! lol
its updated now thanks

07 Yaris LB 5spd
AE86 Corolla GTS 5spd
Old 05-16-2009, 03:05 PM   #21
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Thanks Garm...that is a decent price for this plug and play unit.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:18 PM   #22
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russelt3hPirate View Post
this has easy to use buttons.

:)
any thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
It did less for me than the throttle controller would. LOL
should have had easy-to-use-buttons on the FIC?
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:30 AM   #23
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
should have had easy-to-use-buttons on the FIC?
That would be nice -- LOL, good one.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:02 PM   #24
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
FYI -if you are AutoX-ing under SCCA classing, this would put you into either a Prepared or Modified category, much like adding forced induction or CF body panels. the perfromance gain is not worth the class jump, as you'll be up against vehicles with drastically greater levels of preparedeness (IE: swapped motors, turbos, etc). The same is true for the NST and other underdrive pulleys. If you are an honest autocrosser who wants to race/win on skill and not cheating, then you have to disclose these mods, or ask the other in your desired class to grant you an exception to run with them. Generally, they will do so if its not performance-enhancing (non-standard rims, add-on spoiler, etc.), but will probably ask you to register in your proper class if you've done any of the mods listed above.
There are many clubs out there that use a much less-stringent classing system, and they are perfect for cars that have been modded for street performance (BMWSCCA, PCA, NASA), and you can register in exhibition classes to compete without winnign trophies or points.
If you really want to compete seriously and earn points, plan your mods around the class in which you think you'll be competitive (H-stock or ST are probably the only 2 classes the Yaris has much chance in untill you go full-bore and swap-in a 2.4L or a massive turbo kit and go full Modified class.)

There is a Street Touring (ST) class that is intended to allow many of the most common handling mods found on "tuner" cars, but it still will not allow a change to the engine management system (throttle controller). Not sure about the pulley swap. SCCA.com has a full classign checklist on its site if you want to see where you'd end-up.
Remember: either be honest and ask for a "waiver" fromt he competition, ragister in your correct class, or don't show up. Its all about being the best driver!
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:14 PM   #25
drifto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmdd View Post
FYI -if you are AutoX-ing under SCCA classing, this would put you into either a Prepared or Modified category, much like adding forced induction or CF body panels. the perfromance gain is not worth the class jump, as you'll be up against vehicles with drastically greater levels of preparedeness (IE: swapped motors, turbos, etc). The same is true for the NST and other underdrive pulleys. If you are an honest autocrosser who wants to race/win on skill and not cheating, then you have to disclose these mods, or ask the other in your desired class to grant you an exception to run with them. Generally, they will do so if its not performance-enhancing (non-standard rims, add-on spoiler, etc.), but will probably ask you to register in your proper class if you've done any of the mods listed above.
There are many clubs out there that use a much less-stringent classing system, and they are perfect for cars that have been modded for street performance (BMWSCCA, PCA, NASA), and you can register in exhibition classes to compete without winnign trophies or points.
If you really want to compete seriously and earn points, plan your mods around the class in which you think you'll be competitive (H-stock or ST are probably the only 2 classes the Yaris has much chance in untill you go full-bore and swap-in a 2.4L or a massive turbo kit and go full Modified class.)

There is a Street Touring (ST) class that is intended to allow many of the most common handling mods found on "tuner" cars, but it still will not allow a change to the engine management system (throttle controller). Not sure about the pulley swap. SCCA.com has a full classign checklist on its site if you want to see where you'd end-up.
Remember: either be honest and ask for a "waiver" fromt he competition, ragister in your correct class, or don't show up. Its all about being the best driver!
i agree, and im an SCCA member.

07 Yaris LB 5spd
AE86 Corolla GTS 5spd
Old 05-18-2009, 02:16 PM   #26
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole

Drives: MY07 Yaris Liftback
the Yaris can hang in FSP with the right setup and the right driver. :D
Old 05-18-2009, 08:14 PM   #27
drifto

im planning on attending every auto-x event i can this season. my main reason is to have fun, but at the same time i take it very seriously, i want to learn and advance my driving technique and capabilities.
basically, ive always wanted to do this, and ive always made excuses in the past to put it off.
but life as they say is too short, so im starting to change my way of thinking about certain things.
to do this involves a lot of sacrifice, as with work and expenses, spare time etc. but its worth it. for me it is not just a hobby, more rather of a way of living. i find myself thinking as im driving... about throttle control, braking technique, looking for new lines on the roads i take to and from work. trying to apply what ive learned from the track to everyday driving. and to be honest out of all the dumb teenage days of street racing and thinking i know how to drive, i realized i didn't know much at all about how to truly drive my car. i learned quite a few things after only one day of auto-x, but most importantly that ive got alot to learn. and im looking forward to it.
just wanted to share these thoughts, crazy as they may be...and hopefully this weekend some more of you ny/nj peeps will show up to our little microimage auto-x meet this saturday than did a few weeks ago.
lol

07 Yaris LB 5spd
AE86 Corolla GTS 5spd
Old 05-18-2009, 08:43 PM   #28
Tamago

i have this sneaking feeling a good set of R comps will make 20X more difference and cost about the same as you're going to pay for a plastic box with buttons..
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:21 PM   #29
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Drifto, looked in your garage again, good job! Did not see a rear sway bar though... if you are wanting to to get better you really need to be able to push it in the corners, and the sway bar will help you ton!

You know how in the slalom it feels like your car is rolling around like a boat on the water? The rear sway stiffens up the suspension so you can get through parts of the course involving shifts in direction like that faster.

Also, you know how bad the Yaris understeers--you turn the steering wheel but the car keeps going straight? The rear sway helps with too.

As a beginner you might tear the crap out of a set of pricey R comps just by overdriving the course. Lots of people prefer to learn with something cheap, especially if you have the habit of scrubbing off speed with your tires.

Last edited by kurokoma-kun; 05-18-2009 at 11:39 PM.
kurokoma-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:01 AM   #30
drifto

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurokoma-kun View Post
Drifto, looked in your garage again, good job! Did not see a rear sway bar though... if you are wanting to to get better you really need to be able to push it in the corners, and the sway bar will help you ton!

You know how in the slalom it feels like your car is rolling around like a boat on the water? The rear sway stiffens up the suspension so you can get through parts of the course involving shifts in direction like that faster.

Also, you know how bad the Yaris understeers--you turn the steering wheel but the car keeps going straight? The rear sway helps with too.

As a beginner you might tear the crap out of a set of pricey R comps just by overdriving the course. Lots of people prefer to learn with something cheap, especially if you have the habit of scrubbing off speed with your tires.
yeah, the rear sway bar is a must... i was looking into the dunlop star specs as well. a few people here have recomended them. as far a r-comp, im gonna stick with street tires until im a little more proficient at the track. plus i dont wanna jump to another class due to tires yet.
... and yes i do have a little concern with the slalom, my car feels unsure of itself, kinda sloppy like you said. during the sweeping turns or hairpins it feels good, i just need to develop my lines better.

07 Yaris LB 5spd
AE86 Corolla GTS 5spd
Old 05-19-2009, 12:55 AM   #31
Lazerdot

Drives: Blazing Blue 08 liftback
Autocross with my Yaris has been a lot of fun. Suspension is all TRD with sway bar. YARSTAR sold me his spring stiffeners which made a noticable difference! Thanks again!!! They may have nullified the need for a bigger sway bar...for now. I bought some camber bolts from Garm and will try those out next.
I am in ST class which allows some mods including underdrive pulley, but still street tires. I'm using my Kumo MXs to their max. I found that I have to keep the front pressure pretty high.
You guys are right about using expensive tires when learning, can't wait till I know when I've learned enough to get better tires though!
I'll have a load of fun getting there for sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4613.jpg (182.1 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4624.jpg (138.0 KB, 62 views)
Lazerdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:26 AM   #32
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ NICE!
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:01 AM   #33
AlainMikli

Drives: ings 09 Yaris 3 Door LiftBack
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
It's listed on my website, and I have one in stock. If you want to start a Group Buy and get five people to commit, I can get you a better price. Currently, MSRP $430. My price: $329 shipped.

Awesome price, a way cheaper than all ebay seller
REAL JDM ings+1 Full Body Kit…REAL JDM C-One Spoiler…Retrofit Projector Headlight…Kiddo 6-pots BBK…CE 28N J-Time Attack…Bride Ergo II Racing Seat…Personal Steering Wheel…Work Bell Quick Release…Dealer Option Sun Roof…JDM RS LED Side Mirror…JDM RS Taillight…C-One Oil Cap…C-One Radiator Cap…TRD Iridium Racing Spark Plug…Tom's Fuel Map Controller…Blitz throttle controller…GReddy Informeter Touch…MR Suspension…TRD Rear Sway Bar…MR C-Pillar Bar…GTspec Front Strut Bar & Rear Strut Bar…AFE Intake…WR Header…Nitto Mid-Pipe…Greddy Ti-C axleback…Goodridge SS Brake Line…
To do: Supercharger…
AlainMikli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:59 AM   #34
drifto

kurokoma-kun i looked at your garage, and i see you have a domo-kun power-up mod like me. very nice
also, very nice ride i like the engine cover nuts...

07 Yaris LB 5spd
AE86 Corolla GTS 5spd
Old 05-19-2009, 11:15 AM   #35
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerdot View Post
Autocross with my Yaris has been a lot of fun. Suspension is all TRD with sway bar. YARSTAR sold me his spring stiffeners which made a noticable difference! Thanks again!!! They may have nullified the need for a bigger sway bar...for now. I bought some camber bolts from Garm and will try those out next.
I am in ST class which allows some mods including underdrive pulley, but still street tires. I'm using my Kumo MXs to their max. I found that I have to keep the front pressure pretty high.
You guys are right about using expensive tires when learning, can't wait till I know when I've learned enough to get better tires though!
I'll have a load of fun getting there for sure.
you have a VERY lax crew if they'll let you run a carbon fiber hood in STS :)
you nailed it sir.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:21 PM   #36
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by drifto View Post
...i see you have a domo-kun power-up mod like me.
Domo-kun for President!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerdot View Post
Autocross with my Yaris
kurokoma-kun is offline   Reply With Quote