Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-10-2009, 12:17 AM   #19
MGargano

Drives: 2009 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NZYaris1 View Post
These 2 are not bad
Link?
MGargano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:17 AM   #20
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
fyi both wheels in this picture are 15"... width makes up for diameter in most cases.. throw in a bit of extra rear "negative" offset and you feel those fenderwells nicely!

you can get the black ones on the right for relatively cheap from www.goodwinracing.com
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:22 AM   #21
MGargano

[QUOTE=Tamago;332994]throw in a bit of extra rear "negative" offset and you feel those fenderwells nicely! /QUOTE]

I was with you until this point. Do you mean I should use the hub spacers in the rear?
Old 06-10-2009, 12:27 AM   #22
Tamago

[QUOTE=MGargano;332997]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
throw in a bit of extra rear "negative" offset and you feel those fenderwells nicely! /QUOTE]

I was with you until this point. Do you mean I should use the hub spacers in the rear?
yes, hub spacers help when you buy wheels that fit well up front but look a little sunken in at the back. the cars pictured are 10mm spacer on the left car and 13mm on the right car (but offsets are much lower than most yaris owners suggest, 15X8 +20mm on the left and 15X7 +30 on the right)

i hope we can talk you into some nice wide 15's :)
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:35 AM   #23
MGargano

[QUOTE=Tamago;333000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGargano View Post

yes, hub spacers help when you buy wheels that fit well up front but look a little sunken in at the back. the cars pictured are 10mm spacer on the left car and 13mm on the right car (but offsets are much lower than most yaris owners suggest, 15X8 +20mm on the left and 15X7 +30 on the right)

i hope we can talk you into some nice wide 15's :)
I suppose one advantage of going with 15's is cheaper tires and wheels due to smaller size? Any other advantages?
Old 06-10-2009, 12:42 AM   #24
Tamago

lighter weight = better handling :) and there are more tire choices in 15" IMO.
you nailed it sir.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:47 AM   #25
MGargano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
lighter weight = better handling :) and there are more tire choices in 15" IMO.
What's a good 15" wheel/tire size combo, in your opinion?
Old 06-10-2009, 12:52 AM   #26
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Rear Hub Spacers
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:55 AM   #27
Tamago

Quote:
What's a good 15" wheel/tire size combo, in your opinion?
wheel:

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda...t/61-0159.html

tire:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=2
you nailed it sir.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:56 AM   #28
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
i've been waiting all day for this! awesome !
you nailed it sir.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:00 AM   #29
MGargano

So a 15x7 wheel with a 30mm offset and 13mm hub spacer is a good bet? And 195/55/15 for the tire? No rubbing issues with this combo if I have DF210s?
Old 06-10-2009, 01:16 AM   #30
Tamago

Quote:
So a 15x7 wheel with a 30mm offset and 13mm hub spacer is a good bet? And 195/55/15 for the tire? No rubbing issues with this combo if I have DF210s?
i'd suggest 10mm hub spacers. the yaris pictured in my post earlier (blue car) had +13 on the same springs as you, but he's also gutted the back of his car, so no rear seats. he no longer has worries of a little rub in the rear. i suggest trying the above setup sans-spacer to begin with. if you like it, and want a little more width, order up those spacers! both penguingarage.com and microimageonline.com carry them
you nailed it sir.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:34 AM   #31
MGargano

Thanks for your help. I'm still a little confused about the size of the offset, though, since earlier posters recommended 40+ offset and you're saying 30mm. Or does the 10/13mm spacer make up that difference?
Old 06-10-2009, 01:45 AM   #32
Tamago

Quote:
Thanks for your help. I'm still a little confused about the size of the offset, though, since earlier posters recommended 40+ offset and you're saying 30mm. Or does the 10/13mm spacer make up that difference?
ok, crash course on offset

typical yaris owners will caution not to go UNDER 40mm. the LOWER the number is (+30mm) the more the wheel will stick out. yaris owners experience rubbing at +38mm when the car is lowered heavily, but they're rubbing on plastic. and plastic will not damage your tire or wheel.

a 10 mm spacer will turn a +38 into a +28mm, meaning the wheel is 10mm FURTHER OUT, wider stance. i cannot comment on how this works out, but from all of the yarii i've set up, none of the owners have been too concerned with a slight "rub" now and then, in trade for an awesome looking car. i have a customer up in orlando that has a +35 with 10mm spacer (+25 effective in the rear) that only rubs with 2 passengers in back, going over decent size bumps. if you're absolutely terrified of a little rub, stick to what the wheel/tire guide recommends. however, if you don't mind a little harmless rubbing noise now and then, you'd be fine running a +30 wheel and a 10mm rear hub spacer (with current spring setup)

the blue yaris pictured above is a +30 and a 13mm spacer which gives him an effective +17 at the rear. he's on 195 55 15 tire size. please PM TheRealEnth here on YW for his experience with rub issues.

~joel
you nailed it sir.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:56 AM   #33
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Link?
Here you go
just used the link you supplied and filled in the boxes on the right off the screen , both of these are on page 2

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:54 AM   #34
MGargano

Thanks again Tamago, I really appreciate the crash course. I think I'll look for something around +35 or +38 to start with, then add the spacers after if they look too sunken in.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:41 AM   #35
Tamago

Quote:
Thanks again Tamago, I really appreciate the crash course. I think I'll look for something around +35 or +38 to start with, then add the spacers after if they look too sunken in.
sounds good! there are quite a few 7" wide +35 wheels out there :) you'd be able to run 13mm spacers, no problem!
you nailed it sir.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:47 PM   #36
MGargano

Any sites you'd recommend? I already checked out discounttires and tirerack. I have two sets of 185/65/15 tires that I wanna use up before spending $$$ on new rubber, so I think I'm just in the market for wheels at the moment.