Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-09-2009, 08:55 PM   #19
bdc87
HISTORY REPEATED 11/04/08

Drives: 07' MM Vitz LB
Send a message via AIM to bdc87
The current speakers are cardboard (basically). I did the deck first since mine didn't come with a radio. Then I did speakers with an amp, I have to say go speakers it will give you a better foundation then a new deck on the very cheap speakers. I would like to reccommend sonic electronix for ordering, they have great prices and do fantastic price matching.
bdc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:53 AM   #20
Lone Wolf

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Hm, well sounds like I'll go with 2 front speakers and an amp to start with then. What sort of money should I be spending on those speakers though, no point if they are just as cheap.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #21
MPC Motorsports

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan
I'm not a car audio professional, but I've been into car audio since the days of the 8-track tape and power boosters! I built my system on a budget (I'm an Accountant and know all about budgets LOL) and I'll build you one too.

I'd start with a Pioneer HU, this one being a Pioneer Premier DEH-P400UB.
http://cgi.ebay.com/PIONEER-PREMIER-...lenotsupported
For $138 US you get 50x4 WATT AMP, 3 PAIRS OF BUILT IN PRE-AMP OUTPUTS + HIGH AND LOW PASS CROSSOVERS + SUB CONTROLS + BLUETOOTH READY + USB AND AUX INPUTS AND IPOD INTERFACE BUILT IN + IPOD + USB CABLES and a remote control.

I like the 6.5" component speakers in my sedan with the tweeters surface mounted on the triangle behind the door mirrors. Here's some Kicker components for $68 US.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-KICKER-DS600...lenotsupported
Now you are just over $200 US plus you will need a wiring harness, HU mounting brackets and speaker adapters which will set you back another $30-40 for a DIY installation.

Next, I would get some new 6x9" speakers for the rear deck. Here's the matching Kicker's for $68 US.
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-NEW-KICKER-07D...lenotsupported

This brings the total equipment investment to $274 and at this point you have a great start on a system. My next investment would be in an amplifier. Again, I would go with Kicker ZX200.4 4 channel amp. Conservatively, it is rated at 50 watts per channel but the one I got was certified at 64 watts per channel.
http://cgi.ebay.com/KICKER-ZX200-4-C...lenotsupported
This one's $134 US for a brand new 2009 model with a 3 year warranty. This amp is a powerhouse and is small enough to fit under the front passenger seat. With a four channel amp wiring kit and the other installation parts your total investment now will be right at $500 US. The beauty of car audio systems is that you don't have to buy everything at one time which allows you to spread the investment over a period of time. I can guarantee that this system as it stands will be loud and clean, with the expandability to add another amp and a subwoofer as your budget permits. I need to get back to work, but I'll add to this thread later with speaker adapters, dash kits, and subwoofer recommendations.

Enjoy!!!
Marc
MPC Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:46 PM   #22
fuji

Drives: Polar White Yaris HB
Try Crutchfield. They have the best service by far!

There is a JVC KD-S100. It appears to have very advanced digital signal processing which automatically adapts to your car. In addition, it comes with two free pairs of Infinity Reference speakers.
fuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:13 PM   #23
MPC Motorsports

Installation parts for your Yaris:

If you are handy at all with woodworking, you can make your own speaker adapters from MDF and save some money. I was lazy so I purchased these.
Front speakers:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-5-S...lenotsupported
Rear speakers:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6x9-S...lenotsupported
Dash kit and wire harness:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-2009-TOYOTA...lenotsupported
If your Yaris sedan has the "integrated" HU from the factory, you will need a non-integrated radio faceplate. You can get it here from Parts.com
http://www.parts.com/oemcatalog/inde...layCatalogid=0
You'll need an amp wiring kit. I purchased one at Wal-Mart for about $30. It was a kit for dual amp install, because I went with a second, monoblock amp to power my sub.

With the wiring harness, you can use the OEM speaker wiring. No need to go thru the hassle and expense of replacing OE wiring unless you are building a competition system. You'll need some speaker wiring to run from the harness to the amp and to hook your new speakers into the factory wiring.

That's all for this installment. At this point, your system will be rockin!

Final installment will cover the subwoofer.

Marc
Old 06-11-2009, 09:59 AM   #24
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
If you go Crutchfield, DO NOT be talked into buying an install card. It's a serious waste of money.

Hey Taln! I'm posting here at PDX waiting to ship out to Ft. Stewart on an 11:25am flight...to qualify up to ship to Iraq.

Keep the forums locked down brudda!
Old 06-11-2009, 11:21 AM   #25
andru47

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3DR LB
Send a message via AIM to andru47
I got the deck and it does a good job at pushing the stock speakers for good sound. I like the bass on them, I doubt they would sounds like that had I not replaced the deck. I recommend getting an Alpine deck.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:57 PM   #26
bdc87
HISTORY REPEATED 11/04/08

Drives: 07' MM Vitz LB
Send a message via AIM to bdc87
I got 2 pair of $120 componets (Crutchfields Price) for $70 a pair and they came with brackets. I'd say around that price you can get some good speakers. I then got an Alpine amp at $100 and the wiring at $50 so it was around $300 but you could go with 2 Pairs for 150 and a deck for 150 and it will be alot better then stock.
bdc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:17 AM   #27
Lone Wolf

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Okay well instead of making a new thread let me ask in here:

My buddy of mine who was keeping an eye out for deals told me a guy was selling two Alpine 10"s /w enclosure and two amps (Alpine and a Legacy) for $350. However, my friend talked him down to $200.

So for $200, is all of this a good deal? I realize I still need a wiring kit and installation, but I think I know a guy that can wire for cheap so that just leaves a wiring kit. Also, because I got two amps, I just sell the one I don't use so that'll make the whole thing even less than $200 in the end. Good deal?

Old 06-12-2009, 05:44 AM   #28
CpKi1g3
High speeds are fun...

Drives: 07' Polar White sedan Base
Send a message via MSN to CpKi1g3 Send a message via Yahoo to CpKi1g3
sounds pretty good the deal... you should keep it the other amp if in case just saying... and don't under estimate 10" subs!!!!
CpKi1g3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:39 PM   #29
MPC Motorsports

If that's what you really want. Hard to say if it's a good deal or not. How old is the stuff? How "used" is the stuff? Careful shopping on Ebay you could probably get close to that new. You really don't "need" two 10" subs. I only have one 10" JBL powered by a 300 watt Kicker mono amp and it hits HARD!!!

Car audio is something I would not buy used, but that is just my opinion. You can get a new Alpine 10" sub for about $80-90 USD, a sealed enclosure for a single 10 for around $35 USD, and a new 300 watt Kicker or Alpine amp for about $150. $300 you can have all brand new. Unless bass is really what you want now, I would upgrade the HU and speakers first, then add amps and subs. But it's your car and your money...ultimately your choice.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:47 PM   #30
kongquistador

Drives: 08 Yaris 4DR
Speaker Adapters

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPC Motorsports View Post
Installation parts for your Yaris:

If you are handy at all with woodworking, you can make your own speaker adapters from MDF and save some money. I was lazy so I purchased these.
Front speakers:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-5-S...lenotsupported
Rear speakers:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6x9-S...lenotsupported
Dash kit and wire harness:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-2009-TOYOTA...lenotsupported
If your Yaris sedan has the "integrated" HU from the factory, you will need a non-integrated radio faceplate. You can get it here from Parts.com
http://www.parts.com/oemcatalog/inde...layCatalogid=0
You'll need an amp wiring kit. I purchased one at Wal-Mart for about $30. It was a kit for dual amp install, because I went with a second, monoblock amp to power my sub.

With the wiring harness, you can use the OEM speaker wiring. No need to go thru the hassle and expense of replacing OE wiring unless you are building a competition system. You'll need some speaker wiring to run from the harness to the amp and to hook your new speakers into the factory wiring.

That's all for this installment. At this point, your system will be rockin!

Final installment will cover the subwoofer.

Marc
I'm planning on replacing my speakers. Were the speaker adapters from ebay a perfect fit?
kongquistador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:32 PM   #31
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post

My question is, would investing in a $150-$200 aftermarket deck result in a noticeable improvement in sound quality/level even with stock speakers?
No, changing out the deck will have very little difference, you may get a slight increase in volume before distortion sets in, and some more eq options (which generally blow) but that's it.

Just changing the speakers isn't always a great choice because your new speakers will most likely be less efficient, and therefore not play as loud.

Changing stereo is spendy...I always reccomend people upgrade the front speakers, deck, and buy a small amp to drive the front speakers.... unless they come right out with a budget of <$400.

in Audio, its 10% equipment, 90% install... but in that 10% for equipment, The deck only makes up for about .1%.