Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-15-2010, 01:48 AM   #19
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
I don't have the money to spend on stuff like Dynamat, Fatmat, RAAMat, or Second Skin.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:02 AM   #20
sternz

Drives: 08 Blazing Blue LB
Question

What kind of insulating materials have you guys used to eliminate the noise?
sternz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:05 AM   #21
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ see post #19?

Also:
There was a DIY on here a long time ago, using a spray can of auto (black) sound deadener in the wheel wells. Made a HUGE difference and a very cheap mod.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:42 PM   #22
sternz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
^ see post #19?

Also:
There was a DIY on here a long time ago, using a spray can of auto (black) sound deadener in the wheel wells. Made a HUGE difference and a very cheap mod.
Oh! so that's what that is. Thanks cali yaris for pointing that out! I'll try to find the DYI: w00t:
Old 04-16-2010, 03:04 PM   #23
bobolinko
Bob

Drives: Yaris and Scion XD 5 spd BSP
My solution -

I installed an axleback Magnaflow, and love the sound, but on even medium trips the "drone" got to me. I used to swap stock, and magnaflow often. I then decided to deaden the back section and the hatch, fenderwells, and trunk area where the spare is and the sound is so much reduced that I have not swapped the mufflers anymore! Heck, it was so nice that I have deadened the whole car, and THAT was simply awesome. I even filled the frame boxed areas with foam and fender arches too. Like I say to the wife, I built my own quiet Lexus.... ans I still LOVE the exhaust sound... especially on the WOT between 3-6k rpms . . .
bobolinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:40 PM   #24
bobolinko
Bob

Drives: Yaris and Scion XD 5 spd BSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sternz View Post
What kind of insulating materials have you guys used to eliminate the noise?
I used Rattle Trap and it came in a roll, and MUCH cheaper than the big-name-Dynamat, etc. I used 2 layers in most places. exp the floorboard area in the back by the spare.
bobolinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:51 AM   #25
sternz

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobolinko View Post
I used Rattle Trap and it came in a roll, and MUCH cheaper than the big-name-Dynamat, etc. I used 2 layers in most places. exp the floorboard area in the back by the spare.
Thanks for your recommendation bobolinko. While searching for Rattle Trap, I came across this product http://lobucrod.com and seems to be really good and not that expensive. Was this what you suggested? I'm bought, will def.. be getting this and quiet down my car even more all around. All you need to install is "1 can 3M spray glue, box cutter knife or scissors, tape, measure, easy."

Another product that seems real good by their sample video http://www.quietcoat.com/

Last edited by sternz; 04-17-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:11 AM   #26
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobolinko View Post
Does it make a big difference if you use 2 layers instead of one? Just curious about how much I should buy and if I should go 2 layers right from the start to avoid taking everything out twice...

Could you post some pictures? Did you use foam on the wheel wells? Inside or outside the car?