Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-06-2010, 07:42 PM   #19
OTA'sTOY
DAT'S RIGHT I GOTz 2

Drives: '10 5dr
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JImbo_2400 View Post
Gotta be careful, I just put a K&N Typhoon Intake on mine and after 250 miles running it with no problems I got a a DTC of P0101 "Mass or Volume Air flow circuit range/performance fault." I cleared it by disconnecting the battery and I'm waiting to see if it comes back. Going to contact K&N to see if they have reports of similar issues with this intake.

you might wanna check to see if any oil from the airfilter got onto the MAF sensor it might have triggerred the DTC
OTA'sTOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:15 PM   #20
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
lol people on here act like if your intake sucks a drop of water its gonna explode. The first 20 times it happens your car will stall and that's about it. To hydrolock you have to suck enough water to fill the cylinder to the point the piston can't complete its stroke due to water being incompressible. Basically you have to submerge most of the filter before you're bending rods. Splashing a few drops or even a moderate amount of water isn't going to do anything but spit some steam out your exhaust pipe and most likely stall you out.

As for CELs, no they aren't common. If you don't put it together right, guaranteed CEL. If you put it together right, guaranteed no CEL.
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:15 AM   #21
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
Never had a CEL on my CAI.

The TRD/AEM intake is made with an anti-hydrolock bypass coupler just in case you were to encounter too-deep water.

Oiled filters seem to be losing-out to dry-element filters, since the MAF is vulnerable to the oil when its over-applied. There are many great dry elements on the market these days that will not throw a CEL.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:57 PM   #22
06silveryaris

Drives: 2006 yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrr View Post
lol people on here act like if your intake sucks a drop of water its gonna explode. The first 20 times it happens your car will stall and that's about it. To hydrolock you have to suck enough water to fill the cylinder to the point the piston can't complete its stroke due to water being incompressible. Basically you have to submerge most of the filter before you're bending rods. Splashing a few drops or even a moderate amount of water isn't going to do anything but spit some steam out your exhaust pipe and most likely stall you out.

As for CELs, no they aren't common. If you don't put it together right, guaranteed CEL. If you put it together right, guaranteed no CEL.
I personally took it off because rainy season here is very wet and where I do most of my commuting have water acumalation problems. I worked at a machine shop while in college and saw to many broken honda blocks and of course the bent guilty rod from hydrolock. I just figuered I play it safe and drive with no worries.
06silveryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:36 PM   #23
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNet0 View Post
^ I have had three different cold air intakes on my car now since Ive owned it, different brands, filters, everything. I havent had any water issues here in Maine, and usually when it rains here, it RAINS.

I have had the ebay 1st gen AEM knockoff; Bomz cold air, the simota cold air, and now the AFE.

They have been great, never had one CEL
Why so many intakes? I bought the AEM and haven't looked back. Unless one can give me proven HP gains my AEM is here to stay.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:31 PM   #24
nick.dollimount
Yaris = <3

Drives: '08 Sedan - Flint Mica
Grimlock and I just installed ours tonight. His went first and took longer since we had to figure some stuff out that didn't seem right. Fitments and such. Everything worked out in the end though. Mine went pretty smoothly after figuring everything out with his first. Sounds great! Mine's definitely noticeably slightly peppier. Very happy I got this! And no CEL yet with the 25 minute drive home of both city and highway.
==============================
Debadged Rear; Blue Interior Styling; Toyota Sports Pedals; AM Exhaust Tip; OEM Spoiler; Upgraded Speakers; Sony Xplod BT 2600 Deck; Infinity Basslink SUB/AMP in Trunk; 16" Konig Rims; 6000k HID Bi-Xenons; 6000k HID Fogs; NST Short Shifter

Last edited by nick.dollimount; 06-03-2010 at 11:21 AM.
nick.dollimount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:23 AM   #25
nick.dollimount
Yaris = <3

Picture of the intake installed. And still no CEL!

PS: Thanks to Grimlock for all the help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AFE Intake.jpg (280.4 KB, 120 views)
Debadged Rear; Blue Interior Styling; Toyota Sports Pedals; AM Exhaust Tip; OEM Spoiler; Upgraded Speakers; Sony Xplod BT 2600 Deck; Infinity Basslink SUB/AMP in Trunk; 16" Konig Rims; 6000k HID Bi-Xenons; 6000k HID Fogs; NST Short Shifter
Old 06-03-2010, 08:00 PM   #26
GrimlockGT

Drives: 2009 3DR Blizzard Pearl CE
Nick, thanks for your help as well.

I only got to drive mine to and from work today, but there isn't any issues so far. Definitely hear it when you get up in the RPM's!
GrimlockGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:25 PM   #27
nick.dollimount
Yaris = <3

Yeah definitely! Also this morning, I had to pull out of Subway's lot quickly to get into traffic and you really hear it when you step on the gas from a stop :D