Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-16-2010, 05:17 PM   #19
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
SQcomp & I are both big fans of only having one set of speakers in a car.... now... we both plan on having 6 total speakers (before even considering subwoofers).
Old 05-16-2010, 06:55 PM   #20
Emerge
On a trek to upgrade...

Drives: 2003 Echo Coupe
I am now confused.
Emerge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:48 PM   #21
talnlnky
Audio Junky

how so?
Old 05-17-2010, 12:33 AM   #22
Emerge
On a trek to upgrade...

You said you are a fan of having one set of speakers (meaning a pair; two total speakers), then you said you are going to have 6 total speakers. So, I'm confused as to what you prefer?
Old 05-17-2010, 01:35 AM   #23
talnlnky
Audio Junky

when I say a set of speakers.. I'm talking about all the speakers needed to play between 80hz to 20,000hz subs play 80hz and down.

SQcomp & I both plan on running a 8" or 6.5" midbass, a 4-5" mid, and a tweeter... three speakers on each side.. but, each with a crossover, and only playing a very limited range.

so... 6 speakers, but only 1 set of front speakers.

normal car speakers are known as co-axials, they combine the tweeter and the mid into one package... They don't have a midbass however, and have a much cheaper crossover.

You've got 3 sets of speakers it sounds like.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:56 AM   #24
Emerge
On a trek to upgrade...

Should I replace my front 4" speakers with just tweeters, the 6.5" door speakers upgraded to better speakers, but what about the 6x9 rear speakers? I'm guessing I can purchase speakers with crossovers already, right? A "crossover" isn't an extra accessory?

My bad for misunderstanding. I'm a noob.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:32 AM   #25
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
SQcomp & I are both big fans of only having one set of speakers in a car.... now... we both plan on having 6 total speakers (before even considering subwoofers).
Me too!

Tweeters / 4" midrange / 6.5 midbass

+ a 10 inch subwoofer in the trunk.

I'm going all active, too! Hey I'm learning here!

thanks guys

Derick
Old 05-17-2010, 11:45 AM   #26
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerge View Post
Should I replace my front 4" speakers with just tweeters, the 6.5" door speakers upgraded to better speakers, but what about the 6x9 rear speakers? I'm guessing I can purchase speakers with crossovers already, right? A "crossover" isn't an extra accessory?

My bad for misunderstanding. I'm a noob.
The old school of thought in car audio is that you need front & rear speakers... over the past 10-15years however people into sound quality (vs. getting stupid loud) have realized and proven that rear speakers are darn near worthless in a good sounding stereo system.

More speakers adds volume, but also adds a lot of complications and cost.
I highly recommend running a basic 6.5" component set of speakers up front plus a 10 or 12" sub. It'll keep costs down, simplify your install and be less stress on your electrical system.

I've never been a fan of 6x9's... but if you absolutely can't live without rear speakers, just fade 70% to the front, and run your 6x9's off deck power (unless you have some free amp channels).
Old 05-17-2010, 12:19 PM   #27
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
You won't notice not having Rear speakers, Right now i'm just running my 6.5 components and 12's in the trunk, and don't notice any difference. I'm still in the process though of adding two sets of 3.5's around the car, I found places for two speakers now the second set i'm debating if putting them in the B - pillar or On that huge plastic piece under the bench seat, i have options, but, i have alot of other things going on so the project is on hold. The only reason i'm adding the other two sets is cause i have a four channel and don't want it to go to waste.

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:04 PM   #28
Emerge
On a trek to upgrade...

To sum it up:

Tweeters
6.5s
Sub

Correct?

I've also read that you prefer subs with paper cones and foam surroundings. So for my sub, I should look for:

10 inch
Sealed Box
Foam Sorround
Paper Cone
250 RMS

That sound right?
Old 05-17-2010, 06:05 PM   #29
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
To sum it up:

Tweeters
6.5s
Sub

Correct?

I've also read that you prefer subs with paper cones and foam surroundings. So for my sub, I should look for:

10 inch
Sealed Box
Foam Sorround
Paper Cone
250 RMS

That sound right?
don't worry about the surround and cone material right now.... thats getting into the nitty gritty. Get something that you won't be embarrassed to be seen with, and make sure it's made by a reputable company. If you start going with Pyle, legacy, boss, then you'll probably be upset with your results.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:57 AM   #30
Emerge
On a trek to upgrade...

I'm not sure what I would be embarrassed to be seen with. Lol.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:31 AM   #31
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
I'm not sure what I would be embarrassed to be seen with. Lol.
Some people are in love with chrome/chrome plastic, LEDS, and other forms of audio bling... thats all.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:45 PM   #32
Emerge
On a trek to upgrade...

Oh!

I'm just into it sounding decent and not breaking my bank. I can careless how it looks. It's not like I'm going to attach it to my roof or something.

So, I took out my OEM HU and tried to install my Pioneer DEH-7800MP, but the display isn't working and the OEM's wiring doesn't fit the back of the Pioneer. Do stereo shops fix head unit displays, and sell wiring solutions?
Old 05-18-2010, 05:55 PM   #33
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Oh!

I'm just into it sounding decent and not breaking my bank. I can careless how it looks. It's not like I'm going to attach it to my roof or something.

So, I took out my OEM HU and tried to install my Pioneer DEH-7800MP, but the display isn't working and the OEM's wiring doesn't fit the back of the Pioneer. Do stereo shops fix head unit displays, and sell wiring solutions?
pick up a wiring harness for a Modern toyota... you can get them at car stores, stereo shops, or even walmart.

As for the display, it'd probably be cheaper to buy a new deck.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #34
Emerge
On a trek to upgrade...

Ugh!

Now I'm completely lost and don't know what to do lol. I'm going to have to look for a new receiver and I don't even know what to look for anymore.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:45 PM   #35
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
Trouble shoot it first, Get the proper wiring harness you need and make sure that it doesn't call for an illumination connection. Probably and orange wire , or orange with white , if you have the proper wire harness it'll have it labeled.

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:13 AM   #36
Emerge
On a trek to upgrade...

I got the harness. Man I messed up. I went to audioexpress and payed 22 bucks, online it was only 6.99.

Is this the trend? Online insane deals?