Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-11-2010, 04:26 PM   #19
markitect

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedEpidemic View Post
I actually think the sensor is quite helpful. In my experience it has only come on when my tires were below 25PSI because of a nail being in the tire I didn't even know was in there. It has helped me numerous times from driving off with very low tire pressure.
The only time mine have come on, all the tires were above 32 PSI, and when I turned the car back on after checking it went away. The dealer 'made a note'
markitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:46 PM   #20
KrazyDawg

Drives: 08 3dr LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
This morning was the first really cold morning since I got my Yaris in June - it was 37 degrees here. I started out for work and the low tire pressure indicator came on, I drove to the nearest air thing, put my 75 cents in, and couldn't get any of the caps off - I guess whoever installed the factory tires didn't know their own strength.

Finally I got a guy to loosen all the caps for me, but none of the tires are really that low - 31 or 32 lbs. in each of them. Is this something I have to put up with all winter - that light on the dashboard is driving me crazy. (I saw the thread on un-doing the sensor but I'm not into all that.)

If all it takes is 3 lbs. to make it come on, that's a real pain in the butt. I think this sensor is the stupidest thing - cars have been around forever and we got along just fine without these sensors.
32 PSI is the minimum that it should be set too when measured cold. I would put in 38 PSI after driving it to the gas station to compensate for driving it warm and to factor in colder temps. Personally I use the max sidewell of 44 PSI.

KrazyDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:03 PM   #21
stschaub

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3 door hatchback
TPMS reset

On a 2009 3-door, where's the reset switch?
stschaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:27 PM   #22
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by stschaub View Post
On a 2009 3-door, where's the reset switch?
It doesn't have a physical switch. It can only be manually reset using the Toyota Techstream tool:

3. CLEAR DTC
After repairing the malfunctions, clear the DTCs.
(a) Turn the ignition switch off.
(b) Connect a Techstream to the DLC3.
(c) Turn the ignition switch to ON and the tester on.
(d) Enter the following menus: Chassis / Tire Pressure Monitor / Trouble Codes /
(e) Clear the DTCs following the prompts on the tester screen
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:06 PM   #23
stschaub

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3 door hatchback
Thanks. I wondered why I couldn't find it. Will a Power-on-Reset (battery disconnect) work?
stschaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:30 PM   #24
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by stschaub View Post
Thanks. I wondered why I couldn't find it. Will a Power-on-Reset (battery disconnect) work?
A battery disconnect won't do anything for the TPWS, as it only gets ignition switched power.

With a little jumper wire, you can get the system to flash the light to tell you exactly why it's not happy:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=11
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:02 AM   #25
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedEpidemic View Post
I actually think the sensor is quite helpful. In my experience it has only come on when my tires were below 25PSI because of a nail being in the tire I didn't even know was in there. It has helped me numerous times from driving off with very low tire pressure.
+1

I'm sure this stupid option saved my wheel and tire, and maybe even more if I would have had a blow out on my right front tire. I thought I dodged the board in the road, but I didn't quite make it. Didn't think anything about it, but about a mile later the light came on because I picked up a nail. I live 25 miles from work and probably would have ruined the wheel and tire if I would have kept driving. Luckily I was able to safely pull into an abandoned Wal-Mart parking lot and put the spare on.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote