Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-02-2011, 12:18 AM   #19
TOUGEghost
Mr. Clean

Drives: 2009 Yaris S 3-Door
Looks like a cool project.

DSM's don't just break for no reason; they have a lot of cheap ass owners doing stupid stuff with them. That and most all DSM's are fairly old by now and have accelerated wear from aggressive driving. The 4G63 is extremely stout and I am always amazed at what my motor can handle, even with 175,000 miles on it. My 1G GSX runs low 12's on street tires and pump gas. I used to drive it daily before I got the Yaris.
TOUGEghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:58 AM   #20
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Yep almost the same here but with 90K miles on it with a HRC Stage 2 turbo w/ intercooler, ACT clutch. My best run was on mid-12's on fresh street tires and 91 octane.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:39 AM   #21
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Nice.

Yea, its definitly a project. I dont know yet if im gonna keep it when its running. I may sell. But we will see. I may wanna keep it, lol. BUT I do wanna get the yaris running quicker also.. I dont need 2 projects.
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #22
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
That looks pretty awesome so far. I've always wanted a GSX, just love everything about them.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:45 AM   #23
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
I just thoroughly looked at your pics and have to say you definitely got yourself a handful there. Hope the engine rebuild goes well. Also, nice paint on the block. That's one color I've never seen used before.

One suggestion if you plan to turbo it somewhere down the road (sometimes the itch scratches when you don't plan on it): It might help you to get your hands on a set of forged pistons and rods. Your stock ones might give you trouble. A 4G63 motor is low-compression and can easily handle factory boost, but me being kinda paranoid as I am I also upgraded my pistons and rods with the turbo just to be safe, and never had problems. Also this would be a great time right now to do so since your block is still disassembled. Just a precaution. Up to you though.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:02 AM   #24
ilikerice

Thanks.

The block I got is from a GS-T. So its disigned to be boosted. According to the forums, stock boost is i think 11-12psi.

I know I got the correct pistons cuz 2 reasons.
1) Turbo pistons have the notches in them for the valve clearance.
2) The company that the machine shop ordered from sent non-turbo rings. After I tried getting the oil ring on the piston, it would not fit. The ring was too big and would have to be forced it. I took it back to the machine shop to look into it. He reordered the correct set for a turbo. Fits like a glove.

Alot of member of the dsm forums say they can easily get 400hp if not a bit more on stock bottom end. My goal is to get this thing running. If I do like the car after its broken in, I will then build another block more reliable for more boost. Again, i dont know if im gonna keep this when im done. I sorta wanna stick to the yaris, or get finacially ready for the FD-S.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #25
ilikerice

Update time:

I spent about 6 hours yesterday after I finally got my new Headbolts putting it back together and getting the timing all done. 4g63 have wierd way of setting timing with that tensioner and special tools. Took me a while to figure it out.

My timing cover also did a number on me. After installing the tensioner bracket, there are 2 bolts/studs that come up where the motor mount is placed. WELL, I cant get the timing cover to bend properly to fit. If I could remove those studs, it would have been possible. But my hard headed self thought "i will make it fit"

Sure enough the damn thing broke ### its a 15 year old piece of plastic . go figure. Luckily it broke in good places where it was still able to mount it. Looks like ca-ca but it will do the job for now.

While digging thru the boxes and tubs of parts I came accross a water tube that runs in front of the block on the water pump. I noticed it had a banjo fitting in front of it and a couple extra water outlets for something to be cooled. Maybe a turbo? I figured it was. So, I pulled the old one off and tossed it, painted the new one I found and installed it. I think its suppose to go there.

Trying to figure out about the CAS and Throttle body I am using weather or not its compatable with my car. Found out both will work, just a simple rewire is all thats needed.

Also, looking for a turbo exhaust manifold now. The one I have I dont think is for a turbo. I do have a 16g manifold and a 16g, It just needs to be rebuild. I would rather run a stock T25 though for now.

ATTACHED pictures as of this mornings progress
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0435.JPG (191.8 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0436.JPG (233.1 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0437.JPG (166.0 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0441.JPG (197.0 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0442.JPG (213.0 KB, 84 views)
Old 07-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #26
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
lookin like a fun project with patience...

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #27
ilikerice

I have ALOT of patience.. Ask my significant other.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:26 PM   #28
ilikerice

New updates as of last weekend.

Having some turbo line and turbo fitment issues. I have a 2G block under a 1G head and just trying to work out oil feed lines and turbo coolant lines.

Also found out that i have a 14B turbo and its in rough condition. So still in the process of getting a 16G. Also need to get motor mounts. Car didnt come with any. Money has gotten officially tight now. So things are getting put on hold for a little bit.

Some eye candy pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0490.JPG (219.3 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0491.JPG (221.1 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0492.JPG (223.9 KB, 69 views)
Old 07-30-2011, 12:22 AM   #29
Crackerballer

Drives: 08 BMW 135i
Pure sex. Looks like you are taking your time and doing it right. This will decimate all, after, you put about fifteen grand in it or more. If we have to, overnight parts from Japan.
Crackerballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:23 AM   #30
Crackerballer

Oh I would go ahead and replace that turbo for a nice 20g ball bearing equiv. A GT28RS would be TITS!
Old 07-30-2011, 10:29 AM   #31
ilikerice

Quote:
Crackerballer This will decimate all, after, you put about fifteen grand in it or more. If we have to, overnight parts from Japan.

Quote:
Crackerballer Oh I would go ahead and replace that turbo for a nice 20g ball bearing equiv. A GT28RS would be TITS!
Yes.. the current turbo on there is a 14B. It is a done for though. the housing is cracked all to hell.. BUT, I do got a 16G that will be going on in place of it. Just using the 14B to run oil and water lines. After I get it running and get a DSMLink. I will then go larger injectors and go for that 20G. right now, I just want it built to run.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:59 PM   #32
Crackerballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post

Yes.. the current turbo on there is a 14B. It is a done for though. the housing is cracked all to hell.. BUT, I do got a 16G that will be going on in place of it. Just using the 14B to run oil and water lines. After I get it running and get a DSMLink. I will then go larger injectors and go for that 20G. right now, I just want it built to run.
Gotcha, makes sense. I always loved the GSX. Do you have any horsepower goals? Basically you have an Evo of a different mother. AWD, 4g63, could really be a nice sleeper if you debadged and blacked out the intercooler in the grill.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:18 PM   #33
ilikerice

I do plan to debadge this and will be using the Side Mount Intercooler. I honestly do not have any horse power goals at the moment. I am hoping for stock hp as of right now. I just need a base to start with.

After I get this thing running and hopefully like new again, I will drive it around for a month or 2 to break in the engine.
If I dont like it, I'll just sell it before i do any modifications on it and either get a daily driver car and fix up the yaris, OR get something else like the FR-S whenever it comes out.
If I do like it. I will begin to build another 7bolt as I add more boost and fuel til it blows up. Always nice to have a spare engine to swap out over the weekend
Old 07-31-2011, 04:47 PM   #34
Crackerballer

I have a hard time thinking you won't like a well built awd 4g63. It really doesn't get much better if it is built right. The AWD is listed at 3200 pounds, but with a few select pieces of carbon fiber, the right wheels, and some unnecessary interior pieces gone, I see sub 3k possible.

If you get it built and want to sell it, you contact me. I will either make you a reasonable offer or probably can find you a buyer.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:59 PM   #35
ilikerice

Thank Crackerballer. I'll keep this thread updated as I go. Waiting for this guy to sell me this turbo, Still looking for stock motor mounts (drivers and pass tranny).
Old 07-31-2011, 08:55 PM   #36
Crackerballer

Good, I'm subscribing.