Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-21-2011, 03:29 PM   #19
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
you can just turn off the engine manually when at a red light, and turn it back on when you know it's about to turn green... from what the hypermiling pros say, the fuel used when cranking a warm engine is equivalent to about 7 seconds of idling... so if you're going to be idling for a while, it'll save you fuel. Of course, if you need the AC or heater, you might not be able to keep it off for long!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:40 AM   #20
lomo13

Drives: Vios 1.3 (Asian Market)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
It comes off easily with a putty knife, and total weight is under 10lbs.
i'm guessing you have all of that inside a bucket or two somewhere in a landfill :)
lomo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:43 PM   #21
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
Carpet mats front and rear, I just have a rubber floormat (it catchs snow and water and contains it until it evaporates or you dump it) on the drivers side. Plus if I ever sell it the carpet mats (and the rear seat, spare, etc) will look like new!
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:43 AM   #22
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
OP you've already done the best thing you could do to save gas,you bought the Yaris, now its about maximizing your gas savings by frequenting one of the many hypermiling forums out there and perfecting a frugal driving style.

Heres one of many

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:54 PM   #23
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Remove all mirrors. I think it was said in the movie "The Gumball Rally" I don't care who is behind me just who is in front of me.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #24
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
you've pretty much done most of what you can do for free, and if you don't want to take more out of the car, you are looking at what you can replace to get better gas mileage.

Definitely a lightweight battery, NST pulleys are also a good thing, the stock pulleys seem to weigh a ton. Carbon Fibre lowers weight, but that starts to cost a bunch. And also lighter weight everything, but again that costs a bunch.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:53 AM   #25
docB

Drives: '09 Yaris Sedan
That plastic engine cover is not needed for summer driving. Just four nuts. 14" alloy wheels with light weight tires are a nice place to save weight, too. The benefit here is two-fold, less fly wheel and less unsprung weight(better ride). Avoid the busy stop and go parking lot highways around the city. That 427 can be nasty.
doc

Last edited by docB; 05-11-2011 at 07:54 AM. Reason: spell
docB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:11 AM   #26
tire

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan, 4-spd auto
As a new member to the site, I normally wouldn't voice my opinion, but I hope people here are not removing safety components to try to save a buck on gas... I assure you your loved ones would spot you a dollar a month you'd have saved on gas if it had kept you alive...
tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #27
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tire View Post
As a new member to the site, I normally wouldn't voice my opinion, but I hope people here are not removing safety components to try to save a buck on gas... I assure you your loved ones would spot you a dollar a month you'd have saved on gas if it had kept you alive...
Yeah, but cutting off all the seatbelts and removing the airbags saved almost 12 lbs. of weight.

The only seat remaining is for the driver, passengers soon get used to sitting on the floor.

Just kidding....... but if you are referring to the plastic engine cover removal being a safety issue I'd have to disagree. Other mods may be iffy, but it's still a free country, if I choose to drive without a spare or rear seat, while in theory that make the car "less safe", I can deal with the consequences. The arguement that "you pose a danger to others" is hard to fight, staying home and not driving at all will solve that.
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:36 PM   #28
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by docB View Post
That plastic engine cover is not needed for summer driving. Just four nuts.
doc
You don't need the valve cover cover at all. It is a ridiculous addition that hides all of the ugly crap on top of the engine, and it reduces the valve train noise you hear inside the car.

How did we ever drive cars without this piece of plastic in place?
Old 05-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #29
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahotom View Post
Yeah, but cutting off all the seatbelts and removing the airbags saved almost 12 lbs. of weight.

The only seat remaining is for the driver, passengers soon get used to sitting on the floor.

Just kidding....... but if you are referring to the plastic engine cover removal being a safety issue I'd have to disagree. Other mods may be iffy, but it's still a free country, if I choose to drive without a spare or rear seat, while in theory that make the car "less safe", I can deal with the consequences. The arguement that "you pose a danger to others" is hard to fight, staying home and not driving at all will solve that.
What, you actually carry passengers? As far as I am concerned, they can walk. And I didn't have to cut anything, I used the proper tools to remove the bolts attaching the seat belts to the car.

I will seriously say that airbags are iffy as a safety component, anything that has murdered people has to be questioned. In ma though I can't remove them, they don't allow it and plug in a computer to the ports to make sure everything is ok.