Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-31-2012, 04:40 PM   #19
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Brand new its' a hoot to drive. I have had mine for 4 years. Lost a bit of that zippy and fun-to-drive factor but it makes up by being reliable that in it self is FUN.I have taken on long trips, no dramas. The only thing that can go wrong on these is the wind shield.When a piece of flying pebbles kicked up by those cars in front and you are the one behind to get whacked.Happen to me twice haha.But with some suspension upgrades and tune it can be a hoot to drive.Mine is still stock only difference is tinted window and rims everything else is stock

junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:10 PM   #20
CyR

Drives: 01 Lexus IS300
i appreciate all of the help, guys! i still love the idea of getting a yaris but unfortunately my wife (also co-signer) is totally against it. i'll keep trying but may end up in another honda.
CyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #21
Yawiz507

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris LB MT
Choosing between your car now and a Yaris is to me like choosing between receiving $20 or $100... Which would you rather have? =P

You have to figure... Yaris is going to get you far on less... As the saying goes... Less is more. And with Yaris... LESS IS MORE. =)
Yawiz507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:31 PM   #22
otterhere

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3-door Meteorite
I'm not getting the "no power" comments; I regularly drive 80-85 on the interstate and have to sometimes pull back the reins when I hit 90; I can pass anybody by stepping down on the gas and find it be very zippy/zoomy. My complaints are the springs (looks all "jacked-up" in the back and hate actually seeing the springs from the back; fugly!) and handling (it's just too high and bouncy a ride for my taste). I see on this forum that many people lower or slam the Yaris, but seems to me a terrible design flaw if so many feel they have to do that to be happy with the height and handling; more money and work, when it should've been done right in the first place. Also not overly thrilled with the gas mileage (I average low-mid 30s, city and interstate), but overall a great car...
otterhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #23
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by randeez View Post
sadly i do spend 100+ a week on gas, but again that's three tanks a week that i would normally spend ATLEAST twice as much if not triple depending on what i would be driving
Wow, three tanks a week! How many total miles now on your Yaris?
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:10 PM   #24
us13doolittle
us13doolittle

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 4-Door Sedan
Dear CyR,

If you haven't test driven a new or used Toyota Yaris, then you just don't know what you're missing! I have purchsed 3 Yaris' for my 20 something kids, and recently bought my very own--a Metallic "Black Sand" 2010 Yaris 4-Door Sedan! I LOVE IT! :-) I have always loved manual transmissions, having once owned a Triumph TR6 & a Porsche 911, and the Yaris 5-Speed really hauls butt! I don't know where the criticisms of the "Yaris Lacking Power" comes from (probably the Expert Reviewers that can't drive a manual transmission), but my little 2010's engine just HUMMS! Seriously, go down to your closest Toyota Dealership and take a free test drive--You Only Have To Ask--then you'll know why this Forum exists! It's ALL about the CAR Bud! It's ALL about the CAR!!!
us13doolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:20 PM   #25
us13doolittle
us13doolittle

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 4-Door Sedan
"Jacked-Up" & "high and bouncy a ride" REALLY?

I have 15" Goodyear Eagles on my 2010 Yaris, and I notice no "visible springs" or anything looking "all jacked-up!" What size tires are you running on? As far as the ride, my Yaris corners like a Grand Prix racer and has a lovely appearance (see pics on the New Yaris Thread of my car). Did you buy used from a kid who had jumbo tires on it and DID jack it up?

Doolittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm not getting the "no power" comments; I regularly drive 80-85 on the interstate and have to sometimes pull back the reins when I hit 90; I can pass anybody by stepping down on the gas and find it be very zippy/zoomy. My complaints are the springs (looks all "jacked-up" in the back and hate actually seeing the springs from the back; fugly!) and handling (it's just too high and bouncy a ride for my taste). I see on this forum that many people lower or slam the Yaris, but seems to me a terrible design flaw if so many feel they have to do that to be happy with the height and handling; more money and work, when it should've been done right in the first place. Also not overly thrilled with the gas mileage (I average low-mid 30s, city and interstate), but overall a great car...
Attached Images

us13doolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:36 AM   #26
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
This!!

If you get a good set of quality performance tyres and some suspension mods.Leave the engine stock and this car will haul. I'm not saying it's fast but I have past a few much larger capacity engine and left them on my rear view mirror.But i switch to Kuhmo Tyres and they are not as good as TOYO tyres.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #27
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by us13doolittle View Post
Dear CyR,

If you haven't test driven a new or used Toyota Yaris, then you just don't know what you're missing! I have purchsed 3 Yaris' for my 20 something kids, and recently bought my very own--a Metallic "Black Sand" 2010 Yaris 4-Door Sedan! I LOVE IT! :-) I have always loved manual transmissions, having once owned a Triumph TR6 & a Porsche 911, and the Yaris 5-Speed really hauls butt! I don't know where the criticisms of the "Yaris Lacking Power" comes from (probably the Expert Reviewers that can't drive a manual transmission), but my little 2010's engine just HUMMS! Seriously, go down to your closest Toyota Dealership and take a free test drive--You Only Have To Ask--then you'll know why this Forum exists! It's ALL about the CAR Bud! It's ALL about the CAR!!!
.....but I'm sure he's also "all about" keeping his marriage together, and his wife doesn't like the car. Also, from a financial perspective, it doesn't sound as though he can buy the car without her.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #28
Tomatogrower
The Flying Tomato

Drives: 2009 Red Yaris Hatchback
The Yaris is a great price for what you get. I have an '09 hatchback and absolutely love it! It does have a pretty zippy feel, however, it is not the best car if you drive with 4 people (including yourself) often; you can really feel the extra weight. But if it's just yourself and one other person for the most part, there shouldn't be an issue with how the car performs (at least from what I've noticed while driving mine). Overall, it's a great value, and I would personally get it again if I had to...no regrets!

Tomatogrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #29
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by us13doolittle View Post
Dear CyR,

Leaving CyR's situation out of the equation.....I wholeheartedly agree with your 'Yaris spirit' !
Old 12-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #30
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomatogrower View Post
The Yaris is a great price for what you get. I have an '09 hatchback and absolutely love it! It does have a pretty zippy feel, however, it is not the best car if you drive with 4 people (including yourself) often; you can really feel the extra weight. But if it's just yourself and one other person for the most part, there shouldn't be an issue with how the car performs (at least from what I've noticed while driving mine). Overall, it's a great value, and I would personally get it again if I had to...no regrets!
The heaviest load I've ever had consisted of a thin 5' 6" woman and a thin elementary school aged girl (in addition to myself). This didn't effect the zippy feel. I imagine the zippyness would be sapped with 4 people (especially 4 adults). I agree, it is a great value (I might even say stellar), and I also have no regrets.