Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-17-2007, 08:57 AM   #19
smurf

Drives: 5 door blackie
i'd say JBL.......coz i'm using it....
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:46 AM   #20
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Yeah, JBL subs are definitely all quantity.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:45 PM   #21
jdubau55

Drives: 2007 White Yaris LB 5 Spd.
Send a message via AIM to jdubau55 Send a message via Yahoo to jdubau55
Im going Focal when I get my speakers.....
jdubau55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 01:08 PM   #22
Alexandre2k3

Drives: Yaris liftback
if money is not an issue... DYNAUDIO all the way, oh by the way, their three way compnents alone will cost more than your yaris, but if money ant a thing then yeah.
Alexandre2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 02:30 PM   #23
jdubau55

If money wasnt a thing....he would be on the Mclaren F1 forum.......
Old 03-17-2007, 08:18 PM   #24
Razr
YRS WHOR

Drives: White 2007 Yaris E-Limited 5dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Yeah, JBL subs are definitely all quantity.
JBL = Junk But Loud
Razr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:00 AM   #25
dvlnblkdrs
Shush!

Drives: 2007 toyota yaris
Send a message via AIM to dvlnblkdrs Send a message via Yahoo to dvlnblkdrs
ok, being that im a girl and have always had stock ish on my cars.. i found the stereo system in this car is crap and need something with more oomph, but i also dont want it so loud that i cant hear for an hr after getting out of my car.. so i was thinking of just doing speakers and an amp.. do i need anything else? brand/model suggestions greatly appreciated
dvlnblkdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:56 PM   #26
jdubau55

If your on a budget try finding some speakers with a high sensitivity level. This will allow them to get the most out of your stock HU power.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:00 PM   #27
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
`Anyone refering to JBL as junk, is on crack.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:40 PM   #28
drell42

Drives: Blank
as a retailer of several brands I would say, Alpine. That is personally what I am using and it always sounds great. You can start at the $400 range and go up from there!
drell42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:27 AM   #29
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
We're throwing out Dynaudio and Focal...

Having used and installed both, those are solid brands. There are other high end equipment choices out there as well.

I personally loved the Focal TN-51 tweeter in my old vehicle. The best conventional three way I've ever had the pleasure of working with was a 2001 BMW M3 with an all Focal speaker setup...from the Utopia woofers to the Utopia 3 way. To give you an idea of the effort put into it, we spent a week per door.

My only regrets about the vehicle were that I couldn't drive it away and that it didn't compete...it was some Intel VP's car. My old Pioneer ODR three way set sounded spectacular but this one was on another level. The mid bass from the doors was so "big" that we didn't need the woofers. I suppose it should have been for the money and time put into it though!

One thing here, do NOT buy any piece of equipment because we convinced you to. That shows a weak will. Listen to our suggestions and then GO OUT AND AUDITION! Most of the pieces I've ever purchased were either auditioned IN A VEHICLE of an installer or I had previously installed the piece in a client's vehicle.

I had taken the initiative to be interested enough in acutal in-vehicle response of the equipment to spend the extra time. When I didn't, I was sorely upset. My bad expereiences have been with Kicker's components from 8 years ago (before the SS) and Diamond Audio's HEX. The latter was an amusing situation I might share with you guys some time...it was probably as much my fault as it was the component's engineering.

I would say what is MOST important about the equipment you purchase is NOT the equipment itself, but the support you recieve from the selling entity. For instance, I have stepped out again and purchased a three way component set for a project vehicle that I did NOT audition. With that being said, I understand speakers well enough to know that they can be skittish depending on the way you install them.

My saving grace is that I have Scott Buwalda in my corner. He knows how the speakers were engineered, made and should be installed. All I have to do is pick up the cell phone and give him a call. We're working on an aperiodic "enclosure" for his mid-range 3" driver in the project vehicle. He's never AP'd it before BUT has made mention that the little driver is able to be used in such a configuration...so, I thought I might tackle that challenge. That will come later this year after we get the STi back from building the bottom end up, adding cams, valves and valve springs.

Three cheers for ceramic coating!

Oh sorry...I've been getting off topic.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:11 AM   #30
bido4

Drives: o6 Yaris S
1. ALPINE
2. PIONEER
3. JL
4. KENWOOD
5. ROCKFORD FOSGATE
bido4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:12 AM   #31
bido4

Drives: o6 Yaris S
but its better to mix and match! so you get the best possible sound! as all things have pros and cons.

personally like pioneer head units, alpine high/mid range speakers, JL woofers with soundstream AMP! lololol .. personal preference
bido4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:19 AM   #32
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Funny how knowone mentions ARC Audio, oh wait, thats right, its not found at wally world.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:41 PM   #33
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Arc audio make head units? Arc does make some kick a$$ amplifiers, having installed them before...

If Arc is now making source units I'll stay away for several years until I see how they REALLY perform over time.