Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-05-2007, 11:53 AM   #19
WRBlue

Drives: Yaris 3 Door, 04 WRX, 69 Lotus
And that has nothing to do with this thread. autox != track
WRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:20 PM   #20
Sleeper
Look slow, go fast

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRBlue View Post
By the last comment, I can guess you've never been to an autox where a good driver was driving a normal car.
-snip-
We're not talking track, we're talking autox which is a totally different beast all together.
You do have me on the first point, I've never been to an AutoX with anything more than a couple of good drivers and a bunch of dumbass ricers and boy-racers in their rebadged econoboxes were putting around the track with helmets on, but going too slow to need them... I've seen good drivers on video though.

However, I consider AutoX very similar to track racing. Both are done in controlled courses and in classes to prevent unfair advantages.

An aside though, I used to do plenty of dirt track racing and autocross (albeit less structured, and more just for fun) in my younger years. I had my own almost completely scratch built Sprint Car for some time... Which brings me to something else, you know how they say the Japanese invented drifting? They're wrong, if you have ever been to a dirt track you'll know what I'm talking about. I was powersliding a 400hp sprint car around an oval track before the word "drifting" was applied to anything but smoke and boats.
1995 Chevrolet k1500 extended cab
Blown 396 smallblock 797hp @6500RPM
looks stock, but burns riced-out imports daily.
Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:42 AM   #21
WRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
However, I consider AutoX very similar to track racing. Both are done in controlled courses and in classes to prevent unfair advantages.
But they use very different skill sets ;)

Quote:
An aside though, I used to do plenty of dirt track racing and autocross (albeit less structured, and more just for fun) in my younger years. I had my own almost completely scratch built Sprint Car for some time... Which brings me to something else, you know how they say the Japanese invented drifting? They're wrong, if you have ever been to a dirt track you'll know what I'm talking about. I was powersliding a 400hp sprint car around an oval track before the word "drifting" was applied to anything but smoke and boats.
The Japanese started drifting in the mid 70s. But Outlaws are much better at it ;) And it took about 25 years for it to come here.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:08 PM   #22
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Quote:
these would be my mods:...TRD shocks and springs. Or Eibach Pro-kit on TRD struts....Bigger front sway bar once someone releases one (A rear sway will re-class you though)
WR, what is your opinion of the tanabe NF210's for auto-x application? And which shocks to go with them?

I embarrassed to admit that I prefer the tanabe's over the TRD's just becasue they are blue instead of red sorry, a girl after all
Old 06-14-2007, 01:31 AM   #23
WRBlue

I think the NF's are better than stock, but not nearly as good as the TRD springs. They just aren't as stiff = more body roll = not as big of contact patch on the tires in corners = tire spin = slower.

BTW - I keep thinking your name is Tachikoma :D
Old 06-14-2007, 12:33 PM   #24
kurokoma-kun

Quote:
I think the NF's are better than stock, but not nearly as good as the TRD springs. They just aren't as stiff = more body roll = not as big of contact patch on the tires in corners = tire spin = slower.
Thanks for info, WR. I guess TRD it is! This was actually my first choice anyway, then I (almost) got caught up in the fashion aspect over form/function <glup>

Me and a friend took our cars out last night to run up and down best mountain road nearby and I noticed something bizarre about that body roll--if you go in really reeallly tight on a corner, it actually starts to lean in! Too bad they paved recently--no more gutter run for me!
Old 06-14-2007, 04:11 PM   #25
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole

Drives: MY07 Yaris Liftback
You can't change springs in stock class.

if you want to run Street Prepared, you'll be in FSP.

on a local level you should be able to compete in FSP with some nice meats (r-comps), good suspension and harness.
Russelt3hPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:19 AM   #26
bearda

Drives: 2006 Mazda3 Sedan
Quote:
You can never get away from them. But these would be my mods:

R-Compounds on stock size wheels (any different size wheels will re-class you)
TRD shocks and springs. Or Eibach Pro-kit on TRD struts.
Bigger front sway bar once someone releases one (A rear sway will re-class you though)

With practice, that should make a Yaris very competative in H Stock.
I don't really understand SCCA classing rules well, but they're pretty strict for stock classes. When I found out replacing my pedals threw me in with WRXs I started looking at local clubs...

Last edited by bearda; 06-29-2007 at 11:23 AM. Reason: EDIT: Now I feel stupid for entirely missing the second page and restating something that was covered two weeks ago.
bearda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:21 AM   #27
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole

Drives: MY07 Yaris Liftback
what pedal?

and why would you be with WRXs that are in STX?

and the springs would throw that car in an FSP due to the r-comps.
Russelt3hPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:28 AM   #28
bearda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russelt3hPirate View Post
what pedal?

and why would you be with WRXs that are in STX?

and the springs would throw that car in an FSP due to the r-comps.
Sorry, I meant pedals.

And on second thought you're right, it looks like I would have been bumped to STS while the WRX starts in STX. I was talking it over with a friend who autocrosses regularly; maybe he got confused between STS and STX, or the WRX and the base Impreza.

In any event, STS still sounds like a scary class to compete against just because of a pedal kit...
Old 06-29-2007, 05:39 PM   #29
cc700

Drives: Subaru Impreza
sts is wrx, stx is sti.

the yaris is definitely the cheapest car that has potential, but i'd place it at the back of the pack, even for h stock. i'm biased though because to me winning isn't important, competing for your own enjoyment and bettering your technique is. i don't care what cars are faster than me.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:03 PM   #30
kurokoma-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc700 View Post
competing for your own enjoyment and bettering your technique is
What a great attitude, I wish all my sports opponents had felt that way.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:58 PM   #31
bearda

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc700 View Post
sts is wrx, stx is sti.
The STi is listed as an example of a car excluded from STX, that can't be right...
Old 06-29-2007, 08:46 PM   #32
WRBlue

The STi is in STU
Bug Eye and 04-05 WRX are in STX
06+ WRX are in STU

The only turbo cars allowed in STS are 1.8L's
Turbos up to 2.0L are STX
Turbos up to 3.1L are STU, that why the 06+ WRX are STU, they have a 2.5L like the STi.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:58 PM   #33
KS SOLO

Drives: too many 2 list
I am running in STS, I have been much slower than a few of the cars at the Divisional level, although I blame some of that on the tires I am running, several were running the new Bridgestones god they are almost as sticky as my V700 were, and also a loose nut behind the wheel. My daughter has done well against her STS-L competition. The Civic is really the car to have in STS still. I think the thing that really works against us is the high CG, all that big damn heavy glass up so high, and also the suspension adjustments. Will be working on some more mods to see how much closer I can get. I am in 3rd place for the Division now though. I think a car with some V710's and some shocks and rear bar would do nice in H-Stock, perhaps not against the mini's yet. The thing I would like to work on is to get the TRD options sanctioned and approved for H-Stock, the mini's get to order factory upgrade suspension and that really puts us at a disadvantage. I will let everyone know the outcome and perhaps you can even comment to the board.
KS SOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:01 PM   #34
WRBlue

Rear bar changes aren't allowed in stock, only front.

The MINI cooper S is being re-classed, I think its only time till the base is re-classed too ;)
Old 07-03-2007, 06:26 AM   #35
bearda

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS SOLO View Post
The thing I would like to work on is to get the TRD options sanctioned and approved for H-Stock, the mini's get to order factory upgrade suspension and that really puts us at a disadvantage. I will let everyone know the outcome and perhaps you can even comment to the board.
Fairness aside I can see how it would make sense from the SCCA's perspective. The Sport Suspension+ package was a factory option, like getting power windows on the Yaris. The TRD parts are an OEM accessory. The difference seems to be that TRD parts are dealer installed, and the SS+ isn't.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:42 AM   #36
graywolf_14

Drives: um not a yaris but hopefully
Yeah I was woundering if you could get all the trd parts and still be in the stock class. It is technicaly factory parts so I dont see why not.
graywolf_14 is offline   Reply With Quote