Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-29-2008, 11:40 PM   #19
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinkwit27 View Post
Due North
really? not a single person found that funny?
I found it funny if it makes you happy =D, i found it funnier when noone responded to it. I was like WTF when i first read it

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:27 AM   #20
battleversiontc

Drives: 08 vip yaris
When choosing a subowofer box, the decision between sealed and ported will determine how the final install will sound. The general rule for this choice is fairly simple.

Sealed subwoofer boxes generally are much smaller than ported enclosures. If you're limited on space, it would probably be a good idea to go with a sealed enclosure. Not only is there a size difference, but there is also a difference in sound between the two enclosures. Sealed enclosures tend to produce tight, accurate bass and have a flat frequency response curve. They are also generally the enclosure of choice when looking for a SQ (Sound Quality) oriented setup.

Ported boxes can get very large and have many varying factors that will determine their size and sound output. Ported enclosures produce louder bass than sealed enclosures, and allow you to tune the box to a specific frequency to determine how the bass will sound. Higher tuning on a ported box will get louder, but at the expense of sound quality. Lower tuning will still get louder than a sealed box, and at the same time will yield fairly good sound quality. For more information on choosing the correct tuning for your ported subwoofer box, please see our article called "Choosing the Correct Tuning".

Port area and port type also plays a role in ported enclosures. Too little port area for the subwoofer box can result in port noise, which can severely detract from the sound quality of your setup. To much port area can also have a negative impact on the sound quality. However, if your goal is to get loud and not care about sound quality, then a ported box, tuned high, with a large amount of port area is the way to go.
mecp masters certified
battleversiontc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:30 AM   #21
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by battleversiontc View Post
When choosing a subowofer box, the decision between sealed and ported will determine how the final install will sound. The general rule for this choice is fairly simple.

Sealed subwoofer boxes generally are much smaller than ported enclosures. If you're limited on space, it would probably be a good idea to go with a sealed enclosure. Not only is there a size difference, but there is also a difference in sound between the two enclosures. Sealed enclosures tend to produce tight, accurate bass and have a flat frequency response curve. They are also generally the enclosure of choice when looking for a SQ (Sound Quality) oriented setup.

Ported boxes can get very large and have many varying factors that will determine their size and sound output. Ported enclosures produce louder bass than sealed enclosures, and allow you to tune the box to a specific frequency to determine how the bass will sound. Higher tuning on a ported box will get louder, but at the expense of sound quality. Lower tuning will still get louder than a sealed box, and at the same time will yield fairly good sound quality. For more information on choosing the correct tuning for your ported subwoofer box, please see our article called "Choosing the Correct Tuning".

Port area and port type also plays a role in ported enclosures. Too little port area for the subwoofer box can result in port noise, which can severely detract from the sound quality of your setup. To much port area can also have a negative impact on the sound quality. However, if your goal is to get loud and not care about sound quality, then a ported box, tuned high, with a large amount of port area is the way to go.
a ported box can sound just the same as a sealed box if designed properly.. YES I am talking both about the frequency response, and the "tightness" which is also called group delay.

the tightness of a sub is more determined by the Le of the sub... and in a ported box... also the size & tuning of a box. Higher the tuning, the worse the peak in group delay (less "tight" so to speak)... also.. the smaller the bigger the box, the bigger the peak... Generally, anything 30hz and below though doesn't really matter so if you tune below 30hz your peak won't be nearly as bad as if you tune at 40hz like DD's website suggests doing... which is anything BUT sq... .even in a car environment the cabin gain can't make up for that high of a tuning.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:38 AM   #22
dlinkwit27

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealEnth View Post
I found it funny if it makes you happy =D, i found it funnier when noone responded to it. I was like WTF when i first read it
thank you! now i feel loved
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:02 AM   #23
Nigal

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
I have to carry so much crap in my trunk for work that I found pointing it straight up where the most free air is sounds best. The box wasn't breathing well with stuff stored right in front of the baffles.
Nigal is offline   Reply With Quote