Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-20-2010, 05:25 PM   #361
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdydjded View Post
If your return was clogged oil from the center housing has only 2 places to go, out the compressor side of the turbo (cold side) or the turbine side (hot side). Apparently it chose the compressor side. Now that is of course if nothing is mechanically wrong with the turbo itself...
Actually at the time, it chose both lol. When I fixed the clog I immediately noticed it stopped seeping out the turbo flange, so I figured the seals were good. I would like to think if it was a problem that I would have noticed I've been burning oil, which I haven't.

Anyone have anything to say regarding the FIC?
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #362
Focus_Sh1ft

Meth kit will be here shortly...

I've been digging in and trying to understand fully how this will give me improved performance, and realize advancing timing is PROBABLY going to be a big deal. I may be speaking too soon, but I have my doubts. I hate to have to do this, but I'm probably going to sell my FIC and grab an Emanage Ultimate. It looks to be the only way I'm going to get the most out of my setup.

If anyone is interested, I'm currently planning on selling my FIC (just the box, no harness) for $150.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:45 PM   #363
Yoda

Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_Sh1ft View Post

I've been digging in and trying to understand fully how this will give me improved performance, and realize advancing timing is PROBABLY going to be a big deal. I may be speaking too soon, but I have my doubts. I hate to have to do this, but I'm probably going to sell my FIC and grab an Emanage Ultimate. It looks to be the only way I'm going to get the most out of my setup.

If anyone is interested, I'm currently planning on selling my FIC (just the box, no harness) for $150.
Wo man sorry to hear about you selling it. Did you try taking your car to a tuner to see if they could get more? Would hate to see u throw away your money
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:54 AM   #364
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_Sh1ft View Post

Advanced timing & boost is a major no no, Whay are you going to sell the FIC?
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:38 AM   #365
Focus_Sh1ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdydjded View Post
Advanced timing & boost is a major no no, Whay are you going to sell the FIC?
Running methanol injection allows for advancing timing, doesn't it? There's more power to be had there, and the FIC only retards it.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:00 PM   #366
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
If I'm not mistaken, the Emanage Ultimate can only retard timing as well. So you won't be any better off. Just stick with the FIC and save your money.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:53 PM   #367
xbgod
Banned

Drives: "Burning It Down GTX2860RS XB"
E-manage is crap...Complete shit. You shouldn't use it even if it came wraped in 50.00 dollar bills. It's cheap electronics in pretty box.

AEM/FIC alot better. Keep your AEM.

#1 I don't see why when you guys have real issues you don't call and talk to someone at AEM? Intead you rely on someone here to have a magic answer. AEM has great techs and will guide you through anything you need. They will even put you in contact with a real tunner closest to your house. That unit is quite capable of alot of things. Call and talk to the horses mouth.

#2 Meth will allow you to retard timming. That is why most people use it, to get more boost without detonation. It's like running higher grade fuel for cheap. And fellas don't use Heet and window wash fluid just buy some M1 methanol from a VP dealer. Quit being so damn cheap. It cost about 40.00 for 5 Gal. then mix it 50/50. This is your motor not a shift knob or some other gay bolt on part.

XBG
xbgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:28 PM   #368
Focus_Sh1ft

Hmm, I clearly have this all mixed up. I like your idea XBG, I might try to find a tuner to talk to to get some real opinions.

I'm wondering if there's even any point to running meth if all I'm adjusting is AFRs then?
Old 10-23-2010, 09:46 PM   #369
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
AEM has great techs and will guide you through anything you need.
Not in my experience. Getting good help from them is about as easy as pulling teeth.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:20 PM   #370
xbgod
Banned

Drives: "Burning It Down GTX2860RS XB"
Yes, sometimes they can be a bare to deal with. But I find in most cases it's all about approach. But like any company theres good days and bad days. For me I've had no issues dealing with them. If you feel your getting the run-around ask for Greg Nakano and tell him your issues. should resolve most issues.

XBG
xbgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:48 PM   #371
Focus_Sh1ft

Two things...

First. Could anyone who has a meth kit installed show me how they have their tank mounted? I'm struggling to find a spot, but I'm pretty sure I need to get creative with brackets somewhere in the trunk.

Secondly, I'm almost positive I can't make past 4.5 psi of boost. I've been wondering about this for awhile, and it seems to max around there. I was flooring it earlier today and I still got the same results. I'm thinking I extended the actuator on accident when I had to disassemble the turbo. Think it's worth adjusting/shortening the actuator a bit to see what happens?
Old 10-25-2010, 05:25 PM   #372
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Drives: 2009 2 door hatchback
Yes it sounds like the wastegate isn't closing completely. Thats way to low. I had trouble trying to get mine to boost under 10psi. I kept shooting to 12psi due to a restricted wastgate. Now I max at 8psi.
pimp my yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:53 PM   #373
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Drives: 2009 2 door hatchback
I did call AEM tech line and they were very helpfull and they know their shit as well. I retarded my timing 2 degrees under high engine load using the timing map with the FIC. I dont think their is anything the E-manage can do that the AEM/FIC cant do. I have had very good luck with this thing considering this is the first piggy back I have ever tuned. If I upgraded to a stand alone, their is no doubt it would be AEM.
pimp my yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:28 PM   #374
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
One of the biggest advantage of the FIC is the built in MAP sensor. The emanage does not have one, but it can be added....
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:46 PM   #375
Focus_Sh1ft

Been talking to PETERPOOP the last few days and he brought up a really good idea that I had, until recently, ignored.

Originally, I was under the impression that a boost controller was used merely to raise boost without having to change out the spring in the actuator. However, I didn't realize they could potentially be used to optimize a turbo setup. It seems that by using a boost controller, you're able to keep the wastegate completely closed until desired boost is reached. With just the wastegate, it should begin opening way before maximum boost is reached, thus diverting some exhaust gas too early...

So if the above is correct, this essential means quicker spooling, yes? What do you guys think? I'm always looking for ways to get the most out of my setup, since there isn't much else left to do other than head work / building an engine.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:04 PM   #376
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
100% agreed.

If you aiming for 8psi, the waste gate will start to open at say 4-5psi and slowly open until 8psi is approached wasting exhaust energy. With an ELECTRONIC boost controller in the system, the waste gate will remain closed utilizing all the exhaust energy until 8psi is achieved.

For Ex.

Without the electronic boost controller, 8psi is only achieved at 3500RPM.
With the electronic boost conroller, 8psi is achieved at 2500rpm.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:41 PM   #377
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ Yes. Did Peterpoop happen to mention that I'm the one who told him that recently? LOL

An example using World Electronics (Chris Rado) boost controller:

Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.

Last edited by cali yaris; 10-30-2010 at 01:01 AM.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:31 PM   #378
Focus_Sh1ft

Yes Garm.

My only question is why didn't someone point this out sooner? This seems like a huge improvement. Even that figure shows a stupid amount of additional power being made.

Gonna look into some electronic ones. Any suggestions?