Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-24-2009, 04:22 PM   #37
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Hmm you said "turn the (ignition?) switch" off. I agree it would stop. But we're talking about taking your foot off the gas pedal and supposedly the fuel is cut off. If I took my foot of the gas of my Yaris it would slow down sure. But it would eventually go about 5 mph, not stop.
Because the ECU is monitoring the engine speed, and as I said above, when it gets down to a preprogrammed speed a little above normal idle (about 800 RPM by my tach), the fuel cuts back on with the engine running at idle power. Those Toyota engineers are pretty smart fellows. They figured we don't want our engines to just die every time we coast. On my automatic, the torque converter stays locked down to the point where the engine cuts back on. It locks (as judged by the RPM and speed staying tightly linked together) even at rather low speeds cruising around town. Mine has "learned" that I like to drive in economy mode.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:54 PM   #38
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
shoulda bought an R bike

Well the surgeing, exploding final drives, wacko servo braking motors, and QC issues in general (and $15,000 plus price tags) put me off one of those. I thought I could sneak in an F650 and get away with it. I was wrong!
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:00 PM   #39
puetato89
Just call me Ray, better?

Drives: 08 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to puetato89
Im glad i found this... info was very helpful but Tamago's avatar is giving me seizures :)

puetato89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:00 PM   #40
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
It locks (as judged by the RPM and speed staying tightly linked together) even at rather low speeds cruising around town. Mine has "learned" that I like to drive in economy mode.
How long did it take for the learned behavoir to kick in? My Yaris is 850 miles and two months old. Im pretty happy with the 35-36 mpg its been getting. Considering I only drive it 6 miles to work and back. But maybe theres more?
Old 06-24-2009, 05:01 PM   #41
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Well the surgeing, exploding final drives, wacko servo braking motors, and QC issues in general (and $15,000 plus price tags) put me off one of those. I thought I could sneak in an F650 and get away with it. I was wrong!
pick up a 90's R bike :)
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #42
bronsin

Quote:
i think this deserves a captain obvious award.

Erm...if you take something out of context yeah you could say that about most anything...
Old 06-24-2009, 05:06 PM   #43
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Erm...if you take something out of context yeah you could say that about most anything...
award #2 you're on a roll!

i'm glad you can take the joke without getting upset though, that shows character !
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:24 PM   #44
bronsin

Quote:
pick up a 90's R bike :)

I bought a used one of those (R11GS 1996) with 83k miles on it a few years ago. It was SLOW and top heavy. It cost the PO $5000 in (non warranty) repairs. To think I would have sold my soul for one of them when they came out! Just had to get that outta my system!
Old 06-24-2009, 09:34 PM   #45
eric81

Drives: Toyota Salesman
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
ABsolutely NO throttle response problem with my 08 manual. Cant even tell its DBW. Maybe a reflash is needed or available. My car is stock and fast and I didnt screw up my car with Go-slow mods like headers and CAI that just ruin how it runs. I just saw chinocharles 0-60 on youtube and it was not too good. I think im in the 7 sec range easy on good gas. If i figue out how to set up the digital camera I'll make a viddy and U can see if im FOS or not.
Same here, but I have a lot off changes, like CAI, header, muffler, and I even drilled a small hole in the center of my flutter valve to let just a tad more air in. Threw a CEL right away, but it idles the same, and is just a tad quicker on throttle response, so I don't mind. There is this little metal sensor looking thing just inside your throttle body's flutter valve. Maybe make sure it is clean? Also, check that there isn't a sucking sound when the car is idling, near the throttle body, because I noticed mine wasn't tightened down all the way, and after I did tighten it, the sucking noise went away and it ran smoother.
eric81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:48 PM   #46
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric81 View Post
There is this little metal sensor looking thing just inside your throttle body's flutter valve.
not a sensor, just a useless piece of aluminum molded into the TB gasket (if this is what you are talking about). I cut mine out.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:52 PM   #47
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
And the lag is definetely present on mine, I just press the pedal sooner, timing is everything, and when you are used to the feel of DFCO (i have no gauges), you can use it to your advantage to gain some MPG's
Old 06-25-2009, 12:19 AM   #48
Jeemee
XBL: Jeemee Ghost

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
I absolutely hate the DBW. It took me a good while to get used to it. Stalled it a lot at first lol. Oh, and my car is basically stock and my 0-60 is 7.85sec, my 0-70 is 10.45, and my 0-80 is 13.32 lol

Nitto Axle-Back--Tanabe DF210s--UR 23mm Rear Sway Bar--Penguin Garage 10mm Hub Spacers
Jeemee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:35 AM   #49
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

Quote:
How long did it take for the learned behavoir to kick in?
Couple of days at most. When I "borrowed" my daughter's 2007 S, which is used to her and her boyfriend driving it a bit more aggressively than I do, it started acting like mine pretty quickly. It was built late in the 2007 model year and has DFCO in Drive just like mine.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:00 PM   #50
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchbackkid82 View Post
i never notice it, i have a manual, is it more noticeable on the auto
no joke... all you pussies just need to buy REAL cars.... manuals that is.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:36 AM   #51
eric81

Drives: Toyota Salesman
I now work for Toyota, (just started today), and I test drove a 2009 Yaris, automatic, jolt yellow. I turned the A/C on, and noticed a bit of lag, then turned it off, and can't figure out what you guys are talking about. Maybe there is some, but it is a SMALL engine, so take that into account, and try driving with the a/c off and see if it is different. If problem persists, take it back to the dealership and tell them you think there may be an engine problem. Problem is not there in the manuals, by the way.
eric81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:41 AM   #52
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

No problem in my automatic, either.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:29 AM   #53
bronsin

Both my wifes 05 Camry and my 09 Yaris have this problem. Good luck going to the dealer. We tried that at two dealers with the Camry and got no where. The wife feels its something she can live with. My son notices it right away. He dislikes driving it when he goes into the city. Some of his friends volunteered that their family's Toyotas do the same thing. But the general consensus is its something you get used to. As a mechanic I know this is going to play hell with the drivetrain down the line. I guess Consumer Reports had the right idea when they downgraded their "best buy" recommendation for Toyotas.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:49 AM   #54
bronsin

I make my living fixing things. I know trouble when I see it. The wifes car is five years old and now makes groaning noises in the drive train. I (tried to) warn her to be very gentle accelerating from a stop because of this problem. But just like the Toyota engineers she knows more than me! She takes off with a good shove on the accelerator to make up for the lag. I let the Yaris roll a bit before accelerating and baby it as much as possible. I lobby as much as I can to get rid of that Camry before the bottom falls out of it! Wife loves it. What you gonna do?